the role of oxygen in curing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, two things.. 1 is the post I left above was the seriously abbreviated summerization of plant processes, and only because I, admittedly, hardly have the type of education needed to explain it in its rightful scientific nature..... 2 is that a simple google search turned up much of what was needed to purge my curiosity.. Some of the things that I found...

Sunlight is converted to chemical energy in the form of ATP (adenosine triphosphate), which is the main energy-storing molecule in living organisms. ATP is then transported throughout the chloroplast and used to provide the chemical energy necessary to power other metabolic reactions. For example, some of the ATP is used to power the metabolic reactions in the conversion of CO2 into sugars and other compounds.
Photosynthesis is the process by which organisms that contain the pigment chlorophyll convert light energy into chemical energy which can be stored in the molecular bonds of organic molecules (e.g., sugars). Photosynthesis powers almost all trophic chains and food webs on the Earth.

Guess it looks like this......

6CO2 + 6H2O + Light Energy = C6H12O6 + 6O2

Respiration
C6H12O6 + 6O2 ® 6CO2 + 6H2O + Energy

During the process of photosynthesis, light penetrates the cell and passes into the chloroplast. The light energy is intercepted by chlorophyll molecules on the granal stacks. Some of the light energy is converted to chemical energy. During this process, a phosphate is added to a molecule to cause the formation of ATP. The third phosphate chemical bond contains the new chemical energy. The ATP then provides energy to some of the other photosynthetic reactions that are causing the conversion of CO2 into sugars.

Ok, so this is a bunch of educated mumbo jumbo of what a plant does when it
A. Is alive and well
B. is in view of the sun, or other reasonable light source..

But what happens when a plant has been purged of all light, or met a timely demise by the blade?

Clarke eludes to this in the OP.. And so does Rosenthal (most likely parroting sir Clarke..). This is also standard in the rest of the botany world. So what do we know? Well, it's pretty reasonable to assume that any residual metabolistic activity will require a few things such as food, water and co2. During the curing process we balance water content. This is (assumed, at this point) to keep it low enough to avoid any moisture related damage, but also keep it high enough to maintain said metabolistic activity (we also assume whatever needed co2 is equally readily available, naturally). In order for this to work, we need one piece of the puzzle to fit correctly: Stored energy and the plants ability to continue using it. If light has been deprived, then this would be absolute. Let's see what can be found....

All organisms require energy for their chemical reactions. These reactions may be involved with reproduction, growth, or other activities. Photosynthetic organisms such as plants use light energy to produce carbohydrate (glucose). Glucose can be used at a later time to supply the energy needs of the cell. Photosynthesis is therefore a process in which the energy in sunlight is stored in the bonds of glucose for later use.

A side note of interest regarding drying. While hemp is a c4 plant, weed ain't. It is classified as a c3 plant..???? Man, science is confusing...

under hot, dry conditions C4 plants are two to three times more efficient than C3 plants.
In moderate weather, C3 plants are at an advantage
The Calvin cycle occurs in mesophyll cells of these plants but the stomata open only at night when it is cool and more humid. CO2 fixation occurs when the stomata are open at night. CO2 is stored as a 4-carbon compound and is released to the cells during the day.

I think what this has in common with us is that when a plant is cut, the stomata will dilate and collapse, so available atmospheric co2 proves it's availability... Right?

By first read, the following process seemed to directly contradict what I believed to be happening during curing. It could be taken at face value, or it could be thought of as the same process (i.e I suggested that residual metabolistic activity was possible by consumption of carbohydrates. This tid bit suggests that Carbohydrates become polysaccharides, then monosaccharides. Well, I thought it sounded different, but then I asked myself "How??" Something must complete this process, so then, perhaps they are one in the same after all?? By the way, the more I dug, the more difficult it was to find what I was looking for, of course. Also, the following came from information regarding tobacco curing..

Due to the absence of direct sunlight the process of photosynthesis stops and nutrients are no longer produced. Furthermore, the leaves are deprived of a source of moisture. Under such conditions the tobacco leaf begins to destroy its own reserves of nutrients, including the complex chemical compounds: proteins, starch, carbohydrates, and chlorophyll.

In the process of hydrolysis and oxidation (the reaction of oxygen with the chemical substances in the formation of oxides) the complex chemical compounds are split into simpler components that are less irritating to the smoker. Carbohydrates become polysaccharides, then monosaccharides. Proteins are split into amino acids, ammonia, water, and so on. Carotene appears in proportion to the destruction of chlorophyll in tobacco leaves, which is more pleasant to the taste, and also changes their color from green to brown.

Think that meant that oxygen is definitely needed...

This post was construct in an attempt to satiate Pawpaw's curiosity. Dude, if you are comfortable with the science of botany, and all the big basty word that come with it, then, intellectually, you are a bigger man than I. I must admit, I prefer my knowledge colloquially ;) So, for the rest of us.. Put buds in a jar, cure as slow as you can, and enjoy! ;)

A couple parting thoughts....

Flowers. That's what marijuana buds are. If any might doubt that a cut off bud doesn't contain residual activity, and doesn't consume glucose, consider this... Cut roses. What would be the difference if they are left on your dashboard, or.... Put in water and fed sugar?? Ah ha!!!

Also... Regarding freezing.. At this time I would never recommend freezing buds. Freezing destroys cells, and if there are any type of cell still active in the curing process, then freezing is game over.

~NV

Due to the absence of direct sunlight the process of photosynthesis stops and nutrients are no longer produced. Furthermore, the leaves are deprived of a source of moisture. Under such conditions the tobacco leaf begins to destroy its own reserves of nutrients, including the complex chemical compounds: proteins, starch, carbohydrates, and chlorophyll.

In the process of hydrolysis and oxidation (the reaction of oxygen with the chemical substances in the formation of oxides) the complex chemical compounds are split into simpler components that are less irritating to the smoker. Carbohydrates become polysaccharides, then monosaccharides. Proteins are split into amino acids, ammonia, water, and so on. Carotene appears in proportion to the destruction of chlorophyll in tobacco leaves, which is more pleasant to the taste, and also changes their color from green to brown.

Think that meant that oxygen is definitely needed...

Definitely.

That is what I was looking for and I very much appreciate the effort that went into your post. Thank you.

BTW I've just started to study botany. So I'm not comfortable with it yet but certainly hope to become so through this new hobby.

Best of luck, brother. We can never have too many ;)

Couple things to focus on I suppose...

Are all residual reactions products of oxidising? Is oxidising considered a metabolic activity? And if not, do these (conflicting?) actions accure together?

I eagerly look forward to what you come up with my friend ;)

Oxidation is a chemical reaction.

Metabolism is two part:
Primary and Secondary Metabolism.

Removing Oxygen does not mean the THC can't be oxidized.

Oxidation and reduction are the passing of electrons.

Probably the only way to stop oxidation would be to reduce the Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP).

aplaisia said:
Removing Oxygen does not mean the THC can't be oxidized.

Thanks. I think it was relating to oxidizing other plant substances in the curing process.

As I live and breath! How the hell are ya, Aplaisia? Long time no see..

Hey, aplasia! Welcome back! What about my attractive umm sorry, knowledgeable lab assistants? And the walkie talkies?? I'm doing some DNA sequencing later this week. Breeding teams report to the lab! Over!

nvthis said:
Put buds in a jar, cure as slow as you can, and enjoy!

Well, why didn't you just say so an hour ago :p

Brownie Team leader one reporting for duty, sir!

Latest posts

Back