Timer trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjf2612

Tree man
Reaction score
Im in week 7 of veg with my grow and the ladies are 17 inchs high/all is good.
The problem is the timers I keep using for my 400 hps keep breaking ( as in they work for a few days, then wont switch off even when it clicks over to off, power continues to be supplied. I have bought 3 good quality timers now all rated at 4KW which should be plenty man enough.
Anyone else had the same prob?

Is it by chance a noma timer??? heavy duty outdoor????

That's weird cjf. I've been using the same two $20 timers for two years now. Are you on 50 or 60 Hz power? 120V?

I'm not sure what country you're in.

Check all the ratings on the timer and make sure you aren't outside one of them.

I use the kind with the plastic tabs that slide in or out to start/stop. The ones that have 15 minute intervals.

Also, on some, you can't turn the timer backwards without breaking it.

Good luck man!

RatherBBurnin said:
Is it by chance a noma timer??? heavy duty outdoor????
No, just a normal indoor jobby, that is x3 now. All brand new and diferent types, the first two rated 3kw/240v (im in uk), the third 4kw/240v all doing the same thing after a few days.
?????????????????????????????????????????????
Is that just real bad luck on timers or is there more to it ?ballast?.
I have a healthy fear of electric and it bothers me when stuff isnt doing what its supposed to do.
Its also playing havoc on my sleep routine having to switch light on/off or double checking the timers clicked over.

cjf2612 said:
No, just a normal indoor jobby, that is x3 now. All brand new and diferent types, the first two rated 3kw/240v (im in uk), the third 4kw/240v all doing the same thing after a few days.
?????????????????????????????????????????????
Is that just real bad luck on timers or is there more to it ?ballast?.
I have a healthy fear of electric and it bothers me when stuff isnt doing what its supposed to do.
Its also playing havoc on my sleep routine having to switch light on/off or double checking the timers clicked over.

Is your ballast overly hot? if its just a few days I would wonder if its from high current draw.

The ballast does get really hot but thats normal though for hps, to what extent im not 100% sure.

cjf2612 said:
The ballast does get really hot but thats normal though for hps, to what extent im not 100% sure.

My 1000w hps ballast (with the metal box opened 1/2 way) gets to around 84 degrees...

Do you leave your lights on 24/7? Do the timers get hot at all?

Narrrr, my lights on 18/6 at mo. I believe its cool to give both buld/ballast a break each day.
The electrical workings/points for fans/timers/ballast etc is all grouped together neatly fixed to the side of my chest. Im not generally awear of the timers warming up/their just normal room temps realy.
Could temp increases cause a timer to not switch off????
The overide switch does cilck over to off at the correct time by its self but alas it just doesnt stop current flow??????
Again, three timers, working 2-3 days then not?

Beats me
:hairpull:

Thanks for the input people

i would suggest you get another new timer. nothing with the ballast nor bulb nor heat for that matter would keep current going through an electrical outlet unless the switch is on the on position. when your timer clicks off it is not diconnecting current, stays on the on position. it's all about the timer in your situation. yeap! you could get three bad timers (bad luck). i recently had an on problem. my timer would not turn on the current. replaced, all is good.
GOOD LUCK.

EVERYDAY'S A HOLIDAY!

bunkin2 said:
i would suggest you get another new timer. nothing with the ballast nor bulb nor heat for that matter would keep current going through an electrical outlet unless the switch is on the on position. when your timer clicks off it is not diconnecting current, stays on the on position. it's all about the timer in your situation. !

This is not allways true, too high of a current draw welds the contacts closed, this is why it wont shut off even with the overide switch.

Here is somthing I built to prevent just this sort of thing.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9571

Perhaps with your next one, try it out on just a table lamp for a week first. If it works perfectly, then try it on your setup. If it then burns out, you've got a problem somewhere, somehow.

The switch does click to off but current stays flowing. Ive moved it away from my ballast so for less heat disipation.Still doing the same.
Wot about heavy duty times, where do they come from, how do they work,

Many moons ago I read a piece on line saying that you sould only ever use heavy duty timers for HID lights ? ? ?

Again, thanx for the help grow dudes.

Latest posts

Back