to indoor sativa growers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sin inc

eastside greenxpert
Reaction score
hey guys i been reading about this malawi gold strain and i bit and got some from seeds of africa . but i dont really know anything about growing pure super long flowering african strain . i would like some info on growing strians like this in indoors please.
heres the info
hxxp://alibongo.co.uk/catalog/seeds-africa-malawi-gold-chamba-regular-cannabis-seeds-p-7809.html?oscsid=139e5c5a1d91537e1bfaff748f88a263

I don't know squatt about growing pure Sativa landrace strains but I would suspect it to be a very "leggy", "branchy", "stretchy" growing plant that would do well in a larger scrog type of setup that would let it grow and stretch out/up some before getting caught under the screen. I would also suspect that it will do better in an organic soil setup using super soil that isn't real heavy on the nitrogen. I would let it veg for a good 6-8weeks on the initial run from seed to see how it does. I would set my screen about 20" above the soil line if you have the ceiling height to accommodate the pot and screen height and then allow for the bud stretch above the screen to not get into the lights. :)

Hi there

I can say with experience that you shoud have a lot of room, a lot. And plenty of time and lots and lots of patience.
I once grew outdoor asian sativa indoors. I started flowering when she was 28cm high and it finished over 3 meters. It grew all over the walls and ceilings. Very long branches also And it flowered for ever. I chopped it at 16 weeks but I would propably have gone few more. Superlong 1 meter buds. But very nice.
I wont do it again thou.
Good Luck.

Have a nice day

Hey hush how has it been fam i remember when you first joined you have came a hell of along way man. i have been reading your grows and have picked up some good tips thanks man. but to the issue ok this is what my plan is . i have a strain called ewd#2 its started as a 60/40 sativa hybird
from the east coast weed man that was really good at the time . ive been working on this strain since 2006 . from 2006 to right now 3 males have you from the marijuanaseedsnl indoor mix was the first to be added. them out until i ran out of seeds keep the best ones. then ata tundra from seeds man has been added to the mix i have alot of seeds to grow on this one now it more of a 60/40 indica, i have now ordered f1's maiwai gold from seeds of africa. and f1's narkush from seedsman . i would like to breed maiwai gold with ewd#2 first but i fear that the maiwai might bring the strain to a height that that i cant use.

so if i cross the maiwai with the narkush i should be able to find 1or 2 short
type to work with . once this cross under control . them mix this cross with ewd#2 and hunk down and grow them out,

parcero hey thanks for the info. i will put it to good use

I've got a sat only room that I keep a few choice strains running in. I have three strains over 100 days and one that goes about 150. I have a lot of height, so stretching isn't an issue. I prefer to keep them smaller inside though.

I run them in a 30/70 soil split (30% super soil, 70% non-amended soil), I don't add any nutes unless they need, and they hardly ever need. I use lattice a lot to help keep them under control and just weave in and out of the lattice as needed.

I am a sat freak just a little.

I grew a Durban Poison one time--and one time only. It was tall willowy and took forever to finish. There are a lot of hybrids out there that give you a nice sativa high without having to put up with the sativa size and the length of time it takes to flower.

thanks guys for stopping in. irish yup just trying to get some landraces in the mix . i ordered maiwai gold i also orderd narkush to keep the maiwai gold in check . they both have thc counts so i am not worrired about the high . just the height .

Hey Sin; yeah it seems like I have been doing this for a long time and for no time at all. I have learned a lot since just coming here and conversing with everyone here, and I still have much to learn myself. :)

Doing breeding is a serious challenge for those who are set up for it. Trying to do solid breeding that produces really great strains will take a long time and careful effort(as I am sure you have already figured out). If you want to try the crosses and see if you can produce something special, I say go for it :) The biggest key for you at this point will be getting that Sativa to a level of growth(and managing her size) so that you can cross her with your males and get some viable seeds. I think you can do it even with limited space but its going to take immense patience on your part, and training the Sativa to keep it within the special limits.

What I would do is grow the Sativa to the point that she is as big as can be controlled with training, then take cuttings and clone them to start over with a smaller bodied plant so that it can be grown to proper maturity. This may take several rounds of cloning in order to get to the level of maturity that you need in order to flower out the sativa while it is still small enough to keep it in control while it stretches during flower.

I think it is certainly doable but its going to take some time to get it done. I hope you do a journal on it so that we can watch it develop. It will probably take you a couple years to really get the better crosses out of it but it will be a very cool trip :)

hey hush you make some good points . but as u says it will take a long time to do this right. i mean its been 7 years working with this ewd#2 and getting it to a place where i am ok with what i am getting. but since i am not breeding for the seeds market. i can take short cuts , like not having to grow out 1000's or stablelze the strain.what i was thinging is i will grow the staiva first pop all 12 seeds. pick out the best 2 short females take clones of those two females and put the the moms in into flower. out of the two moms pick the best one keep her as a mom. do the same with the narkush but with males. then i will take my ewd#2 and mawlawi gold and ewd#2 x ata thundra females put them in the flowering room with the two narkush males i pick. after that is all set and done . put my old seed stock in the fridge and start in on the new seed stock hunk down and really start the selection process. #1 traits i will be looking for will be height and internode spacing. i will take this selection process to mybe f4.

That sounds like a solid plan to me. You will probably have to back cross them a couple times at different point in order to keep the traits you want while adding in the new traits. You probably know that if you just straight cross-breed, you run the risk of losing certain traits that can be important, and by back crossing the offspring back to the important trait bearing plant, you better the chances of locking in those traits.

That is why it takes so long for the top breeders to come up with the top end strains. It boggles the brain just trying to juggle the variables of the trait attachments to the phenotype. I bet the breeders use up some note books just mapping the traits alone. :doh:

Latest posts

Back