to much light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todoobie

Reaction score
does having to much light(lumens) per square foot, harm growth?

too much of anything can b harmful to the plant

do u think ur runnin to much light to ur baby?

its a 400 watt MH in a 2by3 grow area, well ventilated area

Thats the size light I would use to flower that size of area. While a 250W HPS would provide 5,000 lumens per sq ft, I feel that my 250W in the same size area does not illuminate the edges near enough for flowering. I'm just vegging with my 250W but if I decided to flower in that tent I would probably need more light.

That's not the worst thing in the world man. Most 400w MH bulbs put out 36,000 lumens and in your grow room now that's at 6,000 lumens per sq. ft.

But that bulb will not run that high for too long as it will lose brightness over time and it will eventually drop to under 5000. For vegging it's ideal to be at 3000-5000 lumens per sq. ft. but a little over shouldn't be too bad.

Just make sure the plants stay cool and don't get close enough to the hood to where they can burn.

pcduck said:
as long as one does not get the plant to close and have adequate ventilation more lumens mean more harder buds.The sun does us a whooping 10,000 lumens/sqft.

very interesting.. i did not kno that about the sun.. thanks pcduck

pcduck said:
as long as one does not get the plant to close and have adequate ventilation more lumens mean more harder buds.The sun does us a whooping 10,000 lumens/sqft.

Where did you find this out? I allways thought it was much more but never really seen it documented what the sun puts out.

I saw the same thing a few months ago. 10k sq ft.

Maybe thats why I can grow one plant outside that rivals 20 inside....

I run about 8000/sq ft in flower...I haven't seen any harm in it, but I'm not sure that I benefit anymore than if I would run just the 5000. The only reason I'm running the 8000 is because I needed the extra light to cover the whole canopy. My rectangle hood, doesn't have the right shaped footprint for my square cabinet. So it was either add another light, or raise my original light like 18-20" above my canopy...then I'm losing alot of lumens.

todoobie said:
does having to much light(lumens) per square foot, harm growth?

I have no scientific evidence to quote, but my gut and limited experience tell me that during veg, if you can keep the temps down and make sure to keep the HID light far enough away from the plant tops so you don't burn them, the more light the better. Now flowering may be a different story.

I'm running a 400W MH/HPS setup in about the same area as you. I am using my 2 2 light flouro T8's that I use for seedlings as side lighting. I would be very interested to hear from someone with experience if I'm helping my plants by using the supplemental lighting. The plants sure seem to like it!

Where are you Hemp Goddess?

AG

Growdude said:
Where did you find this out? I allways thought it was much more but never really seen it documented what the sun puts out.
it is much more...closer to 100,000 per sqft..on a good sunny day...think about it...a 1000w HPS puts out 145,000L on average...i could stare at a HPS alot longer than i could the sun lol..

i run 2,000w in a room almost 3x bigger than yours (5x9)...plants loooove light...the heat is a different story.

The sun is so much more powerful than what you can provide artificially for your plants. If the plants can handle the sun, they can handle whatever light you throw at them. The thing you need to worry about is heat.

PM I think your numbers are for square meter and not square foot.

Growdude seen it in one of these many light threads we have here..I will do a search:aok:

:confused2: I do not think our search is working properly :confused2:
There is a chart that has the lumens of the sun in bright light, cloudy light, ect and even the moon and stars but I cannot find it. I know it is in our forum data base because I have posted it previously:confused2:.....But anyways if you goole it you will find the numbers of 100,000/square meter thrown about quite a bit

Latest posts

Back