To trim/cut.., or not to trim/cut.? That is the question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesar Chavez

Reaction score
Hey! So I am 22 days into flowering and wondering what to do about all the extra and spindly leaf growth. The mistake first began when I started growing before completely finishing the grow room. I did not top or train, so by the time I started flowering, I was dealing with 6' plants. To help solve some of the problems, I began to bend the stalks down, and then I added another 600w system. Yet still there is quite a bit of foilage, and spindly branches that seem to be 'useless'; and no, or very little light reaches them. Is it ok to trim leaves, and cut branches off this late into flowering? And if so, is the standard of never more then 1/3 of the plant still applicable? I hope to increase air circulation, while at the sametime allowing the light to penetrate further. I have read a few articles concerning some of this, but most of the time refers to the veg cycle. I am interested in hearing peoples personal expierience. Thanks.

not a fan of trimming. the leaves are the entire dietary tract of the plants. if the leaves are green they are converting light into food and helping to feed those fat buds a flowering.

I am not into trimming fan leaves either but I will take down branches that the buds will never be any good I call them air buds. My opinion get rid of the all the spinley branches.

Thanks clanchattan and tesla for your comments. I agree trimming may not be the best thing, but I am still considering cutting the spindly lower branches. Most of the leaves are green, but a couple plants have browning edges, and are elongated and sagging all the time. Heres a few pictures..

RRoD 020.JPG

RRoD 021.JPG

RRoD 022.JPG

I see your problem, CC, and being a newbie, I'll sit back and see what the more experienced people say as well.

But you've got a nice little garden there no matter. Congrats!

AG

Thanks Amateur Grower. My next grow will be handled much better; height wise at the very least.

So what did you plant? It looks like a nice Sativa with those beautiful thin leaves?

AG

Cool-I've got some Skunk #1 from the Flying Dutchman I'm going to germ as soon as I finish this White Widow. Let me know how your Skunk turns out.

AG

I don't like to do pruning on my plants any later than 2 weeks into flower.

At the 2nd week into flower I will trim off any new sucker shoots that have shown up since the last trim job. But after 2 weeks in I leave them alone. After 2 weeks it's my oppinion that you start to take away from bud development, meaning the plant is using energy to heal, that it should be using to produce bud.

Maybe I'm just different than others here. But I try to keep the plants with some room between them. That allows the lights to reach down and at least make popcorn buds. The buds on the bottom may be smaller but just as tasty.

i think that since you added another light you should grow smokable buds from below branches, IMO dont trim them :)

Mokey1 space between them sounds good, i'll do what I can to space them out a bit more; they have stopped growing vertically for the most part.
zem, with your advice, and the many others, I did not trim off any of the branches or leaves. I instead have decided on using all lower branches and spindly growth for cannabutter. Thanks to all who have taken their time to respond.

Reactions: zem
I use anything smaller than a 50 cent peice in my hash mix...mostly because those small buds are a pita to trim, and don't amount to much when dry anyway.

Good call on not trimming that late into flower...........IMO

C.C., I've seen a few grows in my day. Once I saw someone do exactly what you did. When they were part way into flowering the plants got too husky and they started spacing them further apart and found they needed the second light to do it right. They did just that and it made a world of difference. They also left a small amount of room between all the plants. The light penetrated down to the bottom and lower branches and side branches grew out. They ended up with everything they wanted and more.

BUDS are looking much better this 5th week of flowering; since adding 2nd light. I will update with pictures this weekend.
CC

Latest posts

Back