tobbacco plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he should make a maze for halloween..charge for entrance

Hi -

I'm new to the forum and I'm glad I found this thread!

I read all the posts in this thread and I certainly can understand the confusion. There's a deliberate mystery involved with growing, curing and processing tobacco and it isn't necessary. Of course, there's a similar mystery in making beer and wine or growing fine bud.

I live in N. Central Texas, North of Dallas. Every year I grow from 250-300 tobacco plants. I harvest them, dry them and this year I built a kiln and fermented them fast for better smoke quicker then just air curing.

If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco. If ignorant peasants in the 16th Century could do it, you can do it too.

The seeds are planted indoors 6-7 weeks before your first average frost. They are transplanted to larger pots as they gain in size and finally planted out into the field.

During the growing season, they shoot up to 6-8 feet tall with leaves from 24-36 inches long (except some varieties like rustica which stays short and Turkish (oriental) that has many smaller leaves), then they flower. Typically, the flowers are topped off the plant. Then the plant puts out "suckers" (branches) which are removed to make the plant put more energy into making larger, thicker, heavier-textured leaves.

The harvest is different depending on the type of tobacco plant. Cigarette types (flue-cured and burley) are generally "primed", that is to say the leaves are removed from the bottom up as they yellow. Cigar, pipe, chew, etc. types are harvested by the whole stalk method.

Once the leaf/stalk is harvested, the leaves must "color cure", meaning change from green to yellow/brown, then they are dried crispy and then are ready for final curing.

Final curing can be as simple as packing in a box and waiting for up to a year or more - or as complex as building a kiln to maintain temperature and humidity to accellerate the fermentation process which makes the leaves smooth to smoke and not grassy or harsh tasting.

After this, there are a multitude of things you can do to it to make the leaves into the final product. It costs me about $3 a lbs to grow my own cig tobacco including processing and curing. It should be cheaper but I refuse to use any pesticides in my crop. 1 lbs of tobacco will make about 2-1/2 cartons of cigs. I also use no additives in my tobacco - I see no reason to put antifreeze in my smoke. (yes, the commercial cigs have that in them)

I hope that helps people here understand the basic overview of tobacco growing, harvesting, curing and processing.

I'll continue to watch this thread if anyone wants more info.

Bob

ps. don't get me started on complaining about the government's punitive taxation on cigs unless you have time for an ear full!......bk

pps. I tried to post a picture but it said I couldn't until I've posted 15 times here, so ask me lots of questions and then I'll post some....bk

I did harvest some this year.
I need to work on soil more, but have plenty of seeds for next year.
How do you plant?

Gb

Hello again Bob :)

Will tobacco grow in the UK or is the climate too wet?

There is no restrictions for posting pictures, there are restriction on posting links.

So if you save a picture to your comp, you can immediately post the picture on the forum ;)

:peace:

Hi --

Hippy: I know many people in the UK who grow their own tobacco. You may want to make raised beds to keep the roots from being drowned. You may have to keep the transplants indoors a little longer before Spring so they have long enough to reach full size, maybe plant 7-9 weeks before last average frost. You may have to step up the plants from 4 inch pots to 6 inch pots because of the delay in planting out. If the roots get crowded in the pots, the plants will frequently bolt to flower early and be stunted.

GeezerBudd: I start the seeds in 72-cell trays using a sterile, Canadian peat-based potting soil screened through 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Thoroughly moisten the tray from the bottom first. Sprinkle as close to one seed on top as possible, cover with clear plastic with ventilation holes, put in a bright location without direct sun and mist gently twice daily until they germinate. Keep around 75F if possible. Once they germinate well, remove the plastic, move to about 50% shaded light and continue to mist and water from the bottom as the tray becomes light. If you have multiple plants per cell plug, you can tease them apart into separate cells in a new tray when the seedlings are large enough to handle by the leaves, or simply clip extra ones leaving only one per cell with scissors.

Geezer, be careful with seeds you made unless you covered them with a bag to stop cross-pollination. The hybrids you may have made could have unknown quality. If you want new seed, I do have several kinds available for sale cheaper than any of the online seed companies.

I'll try to post another pic, the reason it didn't let me was becuse I posted a link to my pic on photobucket, I guess.

Bob

Silk Leaf tobacco about 8 weeks from harvest.

A100_5572.jpg

Thats about the same way I did mine.
I did'nt use any plastic covering, but I had them in my grow closet at the same time I started my other plants.
I have most of my seeds in plastic-some are still in the pods for a while.
Nice silk leaf. :)

Gb

Hi --

Thanks geezer, that's all we're smoking now. Iit's a very bland-flavored tobacco and I'm blending Black Sea Turkish Samsun into it for the flavor. Turns out that Havana isn't any good mixed with either SilkLeaf or Virginia Gold for cigs. Ends up tasting like a bad cigar! I have seeds available for all those now.

Bob

Bob.

No one is going to buy seeds from you, thanks for the offer, but who is going to give you an address to where they are growing an illegal plant that can put them in prison?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html

9. The sale of marijuana or the discussion of sales is not allowed here. The purchase or sale of any items through this site is not allowed. To purchase or sell something, you must first let this total stranger know exactly who you are and where you live. That just isn't smart.

Hi --

Hippie, I'm awfully sorry if you got the wrong impression. I don't sell pot seeds. I sell tobacco seeds and transplants in the spring. There's nothing illegal about selling tobacco seeds. Do a quick google search, there are many commercial companies who sell tobacco seeds. I just sell them cheaper and back up my sales with personal care to help peopel make a good crop.

I thought I read the forum rules and if offering tobacco seeds isn't allowed, then I will not mention it again.

Bob

9. The sale of marijuana or the discussion of sales is not allowed here. The purchase or sale of any items through this site is not allowed. To purchase or sell something, you must first let this total stranger know exactly who you are and where you live. That just isn't smart.

Thats just the way it is Bob.

The Indian Tobacco I grew was'nt that harsh, even before totally curing.
Reminded me of a Chesterfeild.

Gb

Hi --

Indian Tobacco is usually Lobelia inflata, not in the nicotiana family. Of course, some people call N. Rustica 'indian tobacco'. Rustica has such a strong concentration of nicotine that smoking one cigarette of it can make a person pass out. Not recommended for use except in small amounts within a blend for flavor and to provide a kick. There is also a plant called mellein which is smoked or chewed or blended with tobacco and has been called indian tobacco.

I suppose you'd have to state the provenance of the seeds you got to know for sure.

Bob

Well, I did'nt pass out-lol
I'm not sure if it's rustica or lobelia.
The others I have are Tennessee and Tennessee Red Leaf.
:)

Gb

Hi --

If you got the most popular tobacco of Tennessee varieties, it was TN 90, a burley prized for blending with Virginia types for cigarettes. Very heavy producing plants. And I've heard good things about the Tenn Red although I think it's usually Connecticutt Red? Did you make seeds from it? To stop cross breeding, you have to put a bag over the flowers otherwise you get unknown hybrids? If you did that and made seeds, I'd be glad to swap some seeds.

Bob

Hi,

I reread the posts and I guess I should've posted a pic of my seedlings in the 72-cell trays so y'all could see it easier.

Here -- These are about a week off from transplanting to 4" pots...Silk Leaf....

Bob

A100_5411.jpg

bob_kemp said:
Hi --

If you got the most popular tobacco of Tennessee varieties, it was TN 90, a burley prized for blending with Virginia types for cigarettes. Very heavy producing plants. And I've heard good things about the Tenn Red although I think it's usually Connecticutt Red? Did you make seeds from it? To stop cross breeding, you have to put a bag over the flowers otherwise you get unknown hybrids? If you did that and made seeds, I'd be glad to swap some seeds.

Bob

Nope-I have'nt planted the Tenessee Red Leaf yet.The number is TA116
Then I have Tenessee TA30 and TN90 (Both numbers on the package)
The Indian tobacco is TA10.

Later.
:)
Gb

Hi --

I finally took the time to look it up and found this --

TA10 Indian Tobacco ( Rustica ) A half hardy annual that grows to about 3 ft. and is cultivated worldwide for smoking and nicotine production...

That stuff should've blown your socks off with the nicotine content!

I'm just starting to work my fields this week. We have time before the first frost so I'm going to mow it, then mow again to mulch then plow it under if ti gets dry enough this week. Planting about 500 tobacco plants this comng season.

Bob Kemp
REMOVED

I wish people would learn to not drop live links :rolleyes:

hXXp://community2.myfoxdfw.com/service/displayKickPlace.kickAction?u=12770468&as=78592

In the bad old days when I used to smoke tobacco I tried one of those water pipes in Saudi. I think it must have had that rustic tobacco because after only a few tokes I staggered into the street completely intoxicated and was nearly run over. It took hours to come off the nicotine high.

Latest posts

Back