Too Much Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorBudMan

Reaction score
I have a 9ft x 13ft room. In the room I have constructed a grow tent that is 4ft wide, 8ft long and 8ft tall. I used PVC and white plastic for the walls of the tent. Inside the tent I have placed a tray on top of a coffee table. I have a 1000 watt HPS lamp that I hung above my tray. The hood that I have is an older sunlight systems hood and I do not have a lens for it. I have a cheap, $20 window fan, that I bought at Home Depot. There are two fans in the unit and it has a setting were one fan blows air out and the other pulls air in. I attached some 4in duct to the fan and ran it into my hood. One duct pulling out and one pulling in. I figured that I would try it out before I got any plants in there so I turned the fan onto its highest setting and fired up the light. When I started it was about 1pm and the temp of the room was about 65 degrees. I came back 1 hour later and the temp was at 97 degrees. So I went to the local hydroponics store and they said I need a 6in can fan pulling air from outside into the lamp and another 6in can fan pulling the air out the other side. Now that sounds great but the cheapest 6in can fan that he had was $140. So my questions are: Is there a cheaper way to cool my lamp? Would a lens make a big difference?

Nope. Dont know why he said you need one pulling and pushing. CAP fans are like $110 for a 6". Have one set up to pull the hot air out the hood and exhaust out and the other to pull fresh air in to the room. And if your worried about smell at all, unless your a hermit and live in the middle of nowhere, you need a filter in the room too.

PS, The old style Sunsystem hoods are not air cooled, are they?

Latest posts

Back