Topping and Cloning Advice pls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudMuncher

Reaction score
Hi all, I am growing my Attitude freebies from last years offer, I have feminised Dinafem Powerkush and Blue Widow and regular TH Seeds Darkstar all at 4-5 weeks old. The Darkstar are a little behind in growth and I was thinking of topping the 2 Dinafem strains to get them to a more even canopy and then clone the toppings.

Have done LST before but never topped or cloned. Any advice welcome :)

That sounds like a good plan to me. I have topped and cloned and it works fine. Green and girl mojo for the grow.

a LIL o the greeneyes green mojo fer ya bud. I'm clearing/blooming out my old freebies as well for my next grow. :hubba:

Thanks I have no idea how to clone though? I read a bit about FIMming but don't really wanna try that on good strains for first time. Are there any guides to cloning? Ta :D

look at my signature I have a toutor how i clone....Ive taken the top befor and cloned it flowering the rest but you only get the one clipping...I have found it to be easier to clone from the lower section of the plant...and be sure the clipping has atleast 3 node sites on it...I also attached the Fimming tech Ive used as well..Cant really screw a fim job because if ya dont cut it correct....you just end up with a topped plant...Hope this helps

take care and be safe

Fimming_v_topping.jpg

thanks 4u, I was only looking for one clone anyway that will continue to veg with the current plants and go into flower when they all ready :)

okay...I dont like to take just one as My cloning isnt 100% on every cutt...If I like the plants structure Ill top it and let veg a few weeks at which time she will suply atleast 4 cuttings...I like those odds better...Good luck and let me know if I can help

take care and be safe

Cloning gel or powder, jiffy plugs, a humidity dome or clear plastic cup, weak cfl. Sterilize a scalpel. Cut and make a 45 degree cut. Dip in cloning gel and split stem 1/4 inch. I the dip in Great White. Have a small hole in top of soaked jiffy plug. Put stem in hole. Squeeze lighly to contct stem. Mist and put under dome. Put in box with light about 12 inches up. Keep about 68 degrees. Mist 2 x daily. 7-14 days later roots come out the bottom. Then transplant. No nutes for a month. I run the light 24/7. I have a plastic tray under them.

Coho said:
Cloning gel or powder, jiffy plugs, a humidity dome or clear plastic cup, weak cfl. Sterilize a scalpel. Cut and make a 45 degree cut. Dip in cloning gel and split stem 1/4 inch. I the dip in Great White. Have a small hole in top of soaked jiffy plug. Put stem in hole. Squeeze lighly to contct stem. Mist and put under dome. Put in box with light about 12 inches up. Keep about 68 degrees. Mist 2 x daily. 7-14 days later roots come out the bottom. Then transplant. No nutes for a month. I run the light 24/7. I have a plastic tray under them.

this is a nice simple procedure.. cept when making your 45 make sure to make your final "45" under water to preven an air bubble in the stem...

also i like to mist them once aday and mist the dome the second time..

also you may feed nutes soon as roots appear " a light solution" lets say 1/8th strength watching for burn ...

i would also recomend trying out a few different methods.. and find out which method ou like and that works for you...
LH

Coho, You keep your clones at 68degrees after cutting? I have found on mine that they don't want to root if the temps are too low. I get the best rooting between 77-80degrees. Once I get good rooting, I start lowering the tmeps down to lower to mid 70s. I also had no luck with the peat plugs. The oasis type or AN's "rapid rooters" worked better for me as they didn't seem to hold so much water like the Jiffy plugs do. Of course, I get my best results from a bubble or aeroponic cloner.

Yep I hear the aero cloners are great. I haven't tried rapid rooters. Next time thanks.

never used jiffy plugs before. Have some jiffy pots, cloning powder and seedling compost. Can get jiffy plugs though instead. Plants are looking ace, very pleased. Plan on topping and cloning over the next week.

4u I'm not fussed about getting odds on clones, I mainly want to top the larger plants to even out the canopy and use what I cut to have extra plants and learn a bit more about cloning. If I get good plants out of the topping then bonus :D will keep you posted.

Thanks all for replies and advice.

Propagation was how I cut my teeth initially in mj growing.

I'm old method here. Works evertime for me, success ratio is roughly 85% (mainly because I cull the weaker/lagging looking cuttings)

(1) Clean snips off with isopropyl alcohol first. Snip off as many branches as cuttings you desire,
(2)Take a new razor blade (and dedicate this blade for only this batch of clones as well as for scoring only these specific cuttings then dispose of).
3) Make a 45degree angle cut at the third node down (I've never done the underwater cut, maybe one to see a difference, but that's just me) after stripping off all but the top most leaves of said cutting. Be sure to leave the two thick nodal "hairs" or w/e u callem, as they help the rooting process. EDIT: Be sure to wipe razor blade down with isopropyl alcohol between each cutting you take, can never be too diligent in cleaniless when it comes to cloning!
3.5) Starting At the 45 degree cut and around base and for a 1/4"-1/2" up, lightly take off the top layer of the clones fibrous out layer to the softer tissue beneath.
4) Dip scored end in water then into Roottone (or w/e your preferred rooting hormone).
5) Place in starting pot with Black Gold soil amended w/ a bit o perlite (make sure to make receiving/planting holes in the soil first as to not agitate any of the hormone off and premoisten the medium)
6) Lightly damp/press the soil around the base of the cutting to secure it in it's new 2 week home
7) Spritz with water at base of cutting.
8) Put in propagation tray w/ humidity dome and place under 24/7 flouro light or t5's or metal halide (some say too bright but I've done it, just keep clones a foot away).
9) Spritz at base with water once a day, then on the dome later that day.
10) Do not agitate the clone box in the first week AT ALL, around 7-14 daze later (some strains apparently CAN take longer to root but I've never had one take longer then 12-14 daze to show root). When removing the dome, be as GENTLE as possible, like how you'd handle a premie baby
11) Grow'em, bloom'em, harvest'em, and enjoy'em :ccc:

Please note that they may yellow a bit around the edges but that's a sign that the rooting process is at work :cool2:

BudMuncher said:
never used jiffy plugs before. Have some jiffy pots, cloning powder and seedling compost. Can get jiffy plugs though instead. Plants are looking ace, very pleased. Plan on topping and cloning over the next week.

4u I'm not fussed about getting odds on clones, I mainly want to top the larger plants to even out the canopy and use what I cut to have extra plants and learn a bit more about cloning. If I get good plants out of the topping then bonus :D will keep you posted.

Thanks all for replies and advice.

Best of luck BudMuncher...please let us know if we can help...cant wait to hear how they do...Good healthy plants make for good healthy clone:aok:

Latest posts

Back