topping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrniceguy

"loose lips sink ships"
Reaction score
i have never toppred my plants before,but as far as i understand it increases yield....i will be growing 20 sweetgod plants soon in a 4x4x7 grow tent with a 400w hps...so my question is this, in my particular case should i top my plants? if i should then when? how? will there be to main colas?? what are the advantages, disadvantages? any help would be much appreciated...thanks

should i top my plants?
With 12 square ft? Imo, no. Topping will make those 20 plants into 20 bushes. Your room isn't much bigger than my flowering room and the only way I could see 20 plants in it would be SOG(sea of green).

Ive never seen your 'sweetgod' strain, but if it has a good amount of side growth like normal mj plants, thats a really small space for 20 plants and I wouldnt top them. I have seen some strains that just grow straight up with NO side growth tho. If this sounds like yours, im sure you could top some, if not all, and have enough room.

im sorry guys im new when it comes to forums i should have told you that i actually have 20 sweetgod seeds....so how ever many ladies i end up with well be the number of plants that need to be topped.... and sweetgod is a mix of bc buddepots god bud and sweettooth...i know that certain strains shouldnt be topped so if anybody has any expierence with this particular strain please let me know...much love for u all

Why not try both methods and see what works best in your setup. To answer a few of your original questions.
then when? how?
I would wait for sex to show. Other people may have other methods. You want to cut the very top off, just like the name implies, making 2 main bud sites instead of one.
will there be to main colas??
In most cases.
what are the advantages, disadvantages?
Advantages are it stops vertical growth and may increase yield. Disadvantage would be it makes the plant bushy and you'll be able to put less plants in your room at once and it may decrease yield. Different strains and/or plants react different to topping.

i am going to take bombbudpuffas advice and top just a couple of the plants...ill let you guys know how things turn out

Not to hijack the thread, but if the plants are bushier, do you have to change the lighting or add side lights?

I think that you will find that even 10 females is going to fill (actually overfill) your 4 x 4 space, without topping. You have 16 sq ft--that is only 1.6 sq ft per plant if you end mup with 50% females. When you top your plants, they are going to take a couple of weeks to recover from the stress of being topped--you need to take this extra time into account--you may get more yield, but it will take longer (you also may not get more yield). You don't want those plants squished in so tight that they can't breathe or get any light to the lower branches.

Latest posts

Back