transplant/soil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todoobie

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I think i made a mistake planting my sprouts in to large of a pot. Planted them in farad soil mix , found some promix and i want to use the promix. They look healthy but a little stunted (slow growth).They are 1 week old. The beans where willie wonder and white widow which are bout half an inch taller. Everything is in line enviroment, PH, etc. Thanks

They sound a little young to transplant. Ive read at about 2 weeks its OK. you could scoop it out with some of the old soil and just put it into the new soil over sum time it will grow out of the old soil and into new. Got any pics?

thats fine, they would take a bit longer to pick up cuz the roots are still growing in the big pots but once thats over they will grow quick since they will have big roots, big pots are a good thing generally, eventually bigger plants and yield ;)

Just some gen questions, what size pot did you transplant in and what germination method did you use?

IMO a week is still a little too young to fully plant. I let mine germ in peat moss pellets for at least 2 week. I usually wait til I can see the roots breaking through the mesh that wraps the pellets before I plant.

i agree wit hugs.. i too use the peat moss pellets for germing in.. hugs good to see u finally on.. want to do a lil :48: ??

thanks for the replies:D pots are about 1 gallon / 8 inch wide by the same deep. Isn't promix supposed the best for growing in pots??

i use FFOF as my soil.. i have heard of promix but not nearly as much as fox farm ocean forrest

i use somthing called bmi and it works great.

you can ammend almost any soil to meet your needs.

How popular your soil is has nothing to do with how good its, it just means you probably over paid. jmo

Yea man I've seen promix soils before and a lot of people use them. I'm a fox farm man myself but it's all personal opinion.

After my plants germ I usually transplant them in a 4"-6" pot so they can develop a healthy root ball. After that i'll go to the gallon size. It's a lot easier to control moisture and nutes when the pot is smaller and there is a little more accident room to work with just in case something happens.. Again man this is just my opinion, there are many different methods of growing.

20 bucks is not much at all and its worth every dime.. granted u could go out and make your own soil to cater to your plants every need but a really good overall soil that has wut your plant likes is this stuff.. wuts this bmi? i tried lookin it up but couldnt really find it??

Yeah i couldnt find it on line either, Home depot had a big bale of it on sale in the fall so i decided to grab it to prepare for the winter, i thought if it didnt work out i would just chuck it in the outdoor gareden but it has done excellent, i have just added nutes.

20 bucks is no big deal, i didnt mean to imply you were ripped off or anything,

FFOF and Promix are both excellent.

It says "Professional Growing Mix" on the bag, i will be grabbing it again when i need to.

dman1234 said:
Yeah i couldnt find it on line either, Home depot had a big bale of it on sale in the fall so i decided to grab it to prepare for the winter, i thought if it didnt work out i would just chuck it in the outdoor gareden but it has done excellent, i have just added nutes.

20 bucks is no big deal, i didnt mean to imply you were ripped off or anything,

FFOF and Promix are both excellent.

It says "Professional Growing Mix" on the bag, i will be grabbing it again when i need to.

its cool man.. i didnt mean to sound like a a**.. ya, ill have to take a look into it.. mayb even a lil mixture of the 2 perhaps?? we shall see..happy growin:aok:

Lol at the Fox Farm die hards. That soil is way overpriced. Yeah it's good out of the bag soil, but cmon little much. You would be surprised by finding a local nursery that make there own blend. $3 a bag for basic super soil mix. There around, hell they prob use it on there ranch to grow there own. Not to mention they prob have a stunning vege garden.

nouvellechef said:
Lol at the Fox Farm die hards. That soil is way overpriced. Yeah it's good out of the bag soil, but cmon little much. You would be surprised by finding a local nursery that make there own blend. $3 a bag for basic super soil mix. There around, hell they prob use it on there ranch to grow there own. Not to mention they prob have a stunning vege garden.

mind if i ask wut u use for soil.. jus curious.

i jus took a look at it.. it looks and sounds nice.. i mite have to venture out and try some new stuff if its workkin jus as well and pocket some extra$$$..

What's kool about it. It's compost from Microsoft, millions of pounds. Plates, cups, forks, knives and spoons made from potato and sugarcane. Many of my friends work there and I laugh sometimes, when they drop that in the compost, it very well could be in my soil.

nouvellechef said:
What's kool about it. It's compost from Microsoft, millions of pounds. Plates, cups, forks, knives and spoons made from potato and sugarcane. Many of my friends work there and I laugh sometimes, when they drop that in the compost, it very well could be in my soil.

lol... ya i went on their website and the first thing i see is a video with a huge glob of smooshed up trash and i was like :huh: ?? lol but ya, it must work good cuz i seen some pics from your grow and your ladies look frosty.. im tryin to get there..lol.

nouvellechef said:

Yea I believe the shop we go to does have their own compost that we could use and it's prob at a cheap price but man how much do you think we pay for the Fox Farm??

I get that paying 18 dollars for soil may seem like much but it's a 1.5 cubic foot bag. I don't need giant cheap bulk bags of soil man I run like a 6 plant grow in my closet , that bag of soil will prob get me through an entire grow.

I'd rather go with a proven soil that I know plants will excel in. At some point I do plan on buying bulk and possibly making my own batch but for now I'm happy to support my local hydro store and buy the more expensive stuff.

Plus he keeps giving me deals every time I go In i'll end up saving on other things like ferts and hydro supply in the future.

hmmm well I believe (I may be wrong) that nouvelles last grow was done in FFOF also wasn't it? I think he like myself just recently decided to make a switch, to support local business and save a few bucks in the process.

FFOF is a good soil...don't be afraid to use it. I live in MI and I paid like 15 per bag last grow...so yeah it's a little pricey...but it's a good soil!

I'm like Nouvelle though if I can save a few bucks and support local business I will...I think I've found a good base soil I'm going to use for my next run, and I'll just add amendments to it as in Subcools Super soil thread. But I bet once you buy all the amendments it ends up costing close to the same...I'll soon find out. I had enough FFOF still here to transplant all my clones into 5 gl bags...so I have 8 weeks to think about it.

Latest posts

Back