triggering flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smeg

Reaction score
hi guys ,

in the past , i have always turned off my lights for about 24-36 hours when i go to flower stage 12/12

i was told to do this a long time ago by a friend , but i have just been reading a few guides and they don't say anything about turning off lights for a long period after Vegging 18/6

as i said, i have done this on every crop before , so i don't know if this had has a negative effect or not

Am i doing wrong , do you guys do this ?
thanks

if it works for you ,,then it carnt be wrong imo :D

try doing it without to compare ,,,but the sun doesnt usually dissapear fro 36 hrs at a time when plants start to flower outside :p,

I personally cannot see how this would be of any benefit. If someone tells me I should be doing something with my plants, I want a reason...I wouldn't think this would do anything except encourage stretch and delay the start of your flowering. But like UKgirl suggested, do a comparison.

green finger said:
i'd slowly drop the light hours
down from 18 to 12 day by day
until you get to 12!
it works for my friends!

This sounds like a more natural way, but I just keep 2 rooms. One is veg for moms/clones (24 hr), and I have a bigger flowering room (12/12). When it is time I just move plants to the flower room.

green finger said:
i'd slowly drop the light hours
down from 18 to 12 day by day
until you get to 12!
it works for my friends!
this too, "IMO" increases stretching and lengthens flowering time..

Smeg said:
hi guys ,

in the past , i have always turned off my lights for about 24-36 hours when i go to flower stage 12/12

i was told to do this a long time ago by a friend , but i have just been reading a few guides and they don't say anything about turning off lights for a long period after Vegging 18/6

as i said, i have done this on every crop before , so i don't know if this had has a negative effect or not

Am i doing wrong , do you guys do this ?
thanks

When in nature would the sun go out for 24-36 hours?

As indoor growers, the best we can hope for to is emulate nature. When we want the plant to think it's Fall, we shorten the hours of daylight. That's all that's required, not an extended period of darkness, which would never happen in nature . Perhaps it doesnt hurt them, but it certainly isnt necessary or helpful

Lass

well thanks for all the reply :)
i have just gone straight into 12/12 this time .
i meant to ask this questions a long time ago , but i keep forgetting .
like most off you have said , it wouldn't happen in nature.

ill give my friend a boot up the Arse when i see him ..... hes the only other grower i know .....and most off his advice has turned out to be total crap .

thanks

Smeg said:
well thanks for all the reply :)
i have just gone straight into 12/12 this time .
i meant to ask this questions a long time ago , but i keep forgetting .
like most off you have said , it wouldn't happen in nature.

ill give my friend a boot up the Arse when i see him ..... hes the only other grower i know .....and most off his advice has turned out to be total crap .

thanks
Don't be too had on him now smeg..;) he's only repeating what he has been told or had success with.
When in nature would the sun go out for 24-36 hours?
When in nature does the sun shine for 24 hours for weeks on end? ;)
"IMO".. actually indoor growers are, or should be trying to, provide a "better" than natural environment. With ideal light spectrum and hours, ideal nutrients in ideal amounts, ideal humidity, ect. ect.
At least THAT is the argument I hear from the indoor growers that profess indoor mj is better than od mj.. :confused2:

Hick said:
Don't be too had on him now smeg..;) he's only repeating what he has been told or had success with.

When in nature does the sun shine for 24 hours for weeks on end? ;)
"IMO".. actually indoor growers are, or should be trying to, provide a "better" than natural environment. With ideal light spectrum and hours, ideal nutrients in ideal amounts, ideal humidity, ect. ect.
At least THAT is the argument I hear from the indoor growers that profess indoor mj is better than od mj.. :confused2:

LOL--You will never hear me say that indoor mj is better than outdoor mj--IMO, there is just nothing to compare with the sun. However, not all of us are lucky enough to have a secure outdoor place to grow. I would love to be able to grow outdoors...

Latest posts

Back