Trimming in week 3?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Manny Bowles

high on my own supply
Reaction score
My kids have been getting very big in the past week or so and just entered week 3 yesterday. I was planning on going to 12/12 at 4 weeks when they would hopefully show sex. The problem is, according to the medical laws here I need to keep them under 12" tall and 12" wide to be considered not mature until then. A few are a little over 12" wide right now and almost all of them are quickly approaching 12" tall.
I was thinking of maybe trimming a few fan leaves to stay within my limits, or even supercropping if it came to that.
I've read that week 3 is extremely important in determining whether the plant is going to be male or female... Right?
My question is should I do a little trim to the ends of the fan leaves that are putting me over the limit or is that going to stress the plant in this critical week?
Here's some pics.
These are Jack Herer bagseed, and my first grow.

Thanks for any info:farm:

You won't see sex until you go to 12/12. And yes, it should show by week 2-3 in 12/12.

You can trim off the edges of your fan leaves if you like with no ill effect.

Ok, thanks. I trimmed a few and left a few alone, and gave the tallest one a pinch towards the top to slow it down a bit. I'm thinking I'm probably gonna have to sacrifice a few soon or maybe just try to keep them small until I can sex the healthiest ones.

Plants "can" sex before 12/12. I try to make sure my plants sex before going into flowering. Anywhere from 4-6 weeks they should show in the veg state. I hate doing any trimming, topping or cause any stress till after I see alternating nodes. By this time the plant has already determined it's sex (even if it hasn't shown sex yet). And yes 3 an 4 week are important not to stress your plants out, like trimming for instance, because that time period is usually when they start determining their sex (for the most part).

I agree with Trillions. I wouldn't trim on your babies unless they have shown sex. Just my thoughts. Take care and be safe.

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
The problem is, according to the medical laws here I need to keep them under 12" tall and 12" wide to be considered not mature

Basically, if I don't clip them they are "mature" in size and I am outside of the mm laws. I don't want to stress them for any reason but it's either that or cut and trash one without knowing if it's m/f. I've only got 7 big enough to qualify for mature (without clipping), and I'm allowed 6 so I just want to slow one down a bit.

Crazy Horse said:
Plants "can" sex before 12/12. I try to make sure my plants sex before going into flowering. Anywhere from 4-6 weeks they should show in the veg state. I hate doing any trimming, topping or cause any stress till after I see alternating nodes. By this time the plant has already determined it's sex (even if it hasn't shown sex yet). And yes 3 an 4 week are important not to stress your plants out, like trimming for instance, because that time period is usually when they start determining their sex (for the most part).

This is why this site is great!

I, personnaly, have never seen sex in veg, but then again I deal with clones and mothers EXCLUSIVLY.

SO, you can veg a seedling for 6 weeks or so and it will show sex? Does this apply to all strains? Are you talking about seeing "balls or pistils" or is it a little harder then that? What triggers the signs?
The reason I ask is I am about to embark on creating some new Moms from seed.

As far as trimming, I have not seen any ill effect. But as I stated, I deal only with known females. I top them at week 1 after rooting and trim up the lower plant. Never an issue. But I can see if it is a seedling it could slow the signs of sexing. Is this correct?

NorCalHal said:
SO, you can veg a seedling for 6 weeks or so and it will show sex? Does this apply to all strains? Are you talking about seeing "balls or pistils" or is it a little harder then that? What triggers the signs?
The reason I ask is I am about to embark on creating some new Moms from seed.

sure you can force flower a seedling to sex it at this time,though it will still take time to see sex. IMO you better off flowering from seed if your wanting to sex fastest. The trigger is the instant light change e.g. 18/6 for 6 weeks then a day of night then 12/12. lots of plants will show preflowers when left to grow to maturity and they have reached it on longer light scheduals, its strain dependant on how fast it will show though.

I understand that you can tell sex from going into 12/12, this is how I have done it for years. But, if I read correctly, they are talking about seeing sex during 18/6 vegging after 6 weeks or so. Is that true?

NorCalHal said:
I understand that you can tell sex from going into 12/12, this is how I have done it for years. But, if I read correctly, they are talking about seeing sex during 18/6 vegging after 6 weeks or so. Is that true?

Yes plants can show pre flowers once sexually mature, just look at your mother plant real close where the buds normally form.

My advice is to take clones of the plants and put them directly under 12/12 lighting, the clone will sex and show the mothers sex even before it roots.

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
Basically, if I don't clip them they are "mature" in size and I am outside of the mm laws. I don't want to stress them for any reason but it's either that or cut and trash one without knowing if it's m/f. I've only got 7 big enough to qualify for mature (without clipping), and I'm allowed 6 so I just want to slow one down a bit.

Lst baby! :hubba:

NorCalHal said:

Absolutely,.. IME, most strains will preflower 4-6 weeks of vegging, usually at the fourth or fifth node, about the same time they begin to express alternating nodes, at sexual maturity.

My advice is to take clones of the plants and put them directly under 12/12 lighting, the clone will sex and show the mothers sex even before it roots.
...;)

Thanks guys. As I said, I deal with primarily Clone Stock, so I allways thought it a trait of the clones that get grown into mothers, that was why they showed pistils.
Great Info.

Latest posts

Back