true amber, not cloudy strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imager777

Reaction score
What are some good strains that I can look at that don't go through a cloudy stage like indicas? Even my thai ended up getting cloudy trichomes. I'm looking for plants that go from clear to translucent amber, instead of clear to cloudy. I'm growing Super Silver Haze right now (Still don't know the sex and only one seed made it). Is this a true amber strain? Thanks in advance for any input.

They go form clear, to cloudy, to amber. you pick too early.

Some strains don't have a cloudy stage at all. For instance, the trichomes in your avatar. I'm pretty sure those are true amber. Indicas go to cloudy. Many heavy sativas don't. They get a yellowish translucent/slightly amber color. Then they get a little redish brown dot in the center of the Trichome head. The thing is, most strains are hybrid now, and finding a true amber plant is much more difficult. Apparently, it's not a dominant trait. It is a desireable trait for me right now though.

By the way, I don't always pick early. The plant I just harvested started on Sept. 1st of last year. But yeah, I do like the earlier harvest high better most of the time. It's just my thing; you know, the side I hang to :)

Hm i wasn't aware of that. why is it desirable? That is a sign that the canabinoids are chemically changing differently, but how i wonder. You say its a pure heirloom sativa trait, so i wonder if the cloudy nature of the nectar of in partially matured glands is when it is converting to CDN/CBD, or w/e it is. that would explain why it is only existent in pure sativas as the thc is specifically prevented from being synthed into the other.

im done lol, my *** hurts form talking.

It's desirable to me right now because it's different, becoming increasingly rare, and is generally indicative of strains that have a higher THC content.

I'm not sure why it's like that, but I really would like to know.

True amber, at the amber stage and beyond seems to give a nice and very complex high. I would not pick true amber early, like I would with most plants. Well, I'd sample... profusely.

Honestly, unless someone told you beforehand, I doubt you'd even notice a difference. I'm just nit picking with good intentions.

Very pure intentions. Good luck man. freeze our grandkids some pollen ;]

imager777 said:
Some strains don't have a cloudy stage at all. For instance, the trichomes in your avatar. I'm pretty sure those are true amber. Indicas go to cloudy. Many heavy sativas don't. They get a yellowish translucent/slightly amber color. Then they get a little redish brown dot in the center of the Trichome head. The thing is, most strains are hybrid now, and finding a true amber plant is much more difficult. Apparently, it's not a dominant trait. It is a desireable trait for me right now though.

:)

"I" don't believe it..:confused2:.. never seen it, never heard it.
IMHO that is like saying an apple tree that has green apples one day and red ripe the next, without going through a red/green transition.
"clear to cloudy to amber".. it's part of a ripening/maturing process.

Your Super Silver Haze is indeed a predominantly amber strain.

Well the single SSH girl I grew out last year looked like she'd been dusted with brown sugar,did'nt need a magnifier to see this amber frost.

She was a real heart racer so not to my taste.

Hick said:
"I" don't believe it..:confused2:.. never seen it, never heard it.
IMHO that is like saying an apple tree that has green apples one day and red ripe the next, without going through a red/green transition.
"clear to cloudy to amber".. it's part of a ripening/maturing process.

Yes and I have read many times the the trichs turning amber is a sign of the the degradation of the THC, you harvest when they begin to turn amber that way you know the plant is fully mature and has now began degrading...

No MindzEye,amber resin is not a sign of thc degradation but maturity.

But poorly stored cannabis can oxidise which turns it brown and this is often confused with true amber resin.

Resin has to get cloudy before developing other hues and is down to polymerisation,the forming of longer chain molecules within the resin.

Most Dutch type hybrids don't produce amber resin and when it does show its usually amber interspersed with clear/cloudy.

.....BUT...... I have very little experience with pure sat's...
Still not something that I have heard of, though.

Rockster said:
Your Super Silver Haze is indeed a predominantly amber strain.

Well the single SSH girl I grew out last year looked like she'd been dusted with brown sugar,did'nt need a magnifier to see this amber frost.

She was a real heart racer so not to my taste.

I'm going to love it then! Racy is just my speed; thank you. Now I hope I get a female.

For those that aren't sure what I'm talking about
Indica dominant: http://www.uk420.com/images/kafka_hashpics/Ready.JPG | hxxp://www.uk420.com/images/kafka_hashpics/Ready.JPG
Sativa dominant & true amber: http://www.uk420.com/images/kafka_hashpics/amber4.jpg | hxxp://www.uk420.com/images/kafka_hashpics/amber4.jpg
Here's the source page I got the pics from: http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=38959&hl= | hxxp://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=38959&hl=

I found this old thread doing a google for "true amber", I am in the process of writing a book that explains what it is and how to get it and since others may be looking for it I thought I would add a few things here.

First of all it is a rare genetic trait found in high potency Sativa plants, not Indica, but can be brought out in hybrids. I have linked my site that explains it in my profile under contact info.

I have bred several strains that do it and I have brought it out in both Pineapple Express and Durban Poison.

You need 4 things to see it ,,,,,

A strain that carries the genetic trait

lower light timing, I use 11:20/12:40 (instead of 12/12) as it more resembles what happen in the tropics where these plants flourished.

UVB light

and Sulfur !!!

I use nutes that have sulfur

Gypsum (calcium sulfate)
Epsom (magnesium sulfate)
(I use these instead of a Cal/Mag supplement)
Jack's Citrus FeED 20-10-20 4.9% sulfur
Jack's Aquagold Finisher 7-15-30 9% sulfur
I also use potassium sulfate in the last few weeks of flower

NOTE: there are no toxicity issues with sulfates.

I flower & veg with T5's so for UVB I use ATI True Actinic bulbs, I have 3 of em in a 1000 watt 16 bulb setup I call the Tanning Booth.

The pics are of my strain Colorado Thunderfuck, pic 1 is 5 weeks in flower and pic 2 is 8 weeks in flower it is a 9~10 week strain that is a Sat dom hybrid.

and I'm happy to answer questions

View attachment w52.jpg

View attachment ctf1.jpg

Latest posts

Back