Two grow trays and one res...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tankdogster

Reaction score
I have a bunch of girls veging in one 2'X4' tray in my flood/drain setup. They will need more space in my flower room. I am setting up my 4'X4' hut and i would like to use two smaller trays vs. one large tray for easy cleaning but can I have one res feeding the two trays? One res, Two trays and alternating flooding to alow for a smaller res. The idea is I can handle trays better and only have one 20 gal res to maintain. Any thoughts?

I don't see any reason why it would not work either. Systems like the waterfarm uses multiple buckets and a single reservoir.

Yup sounds good to me, be sure to watch your setup though for the first few days (like you weren't going to anyways hehe) to make sure there is no problems like a tray not draining properly as this would leave the other without water and you would lose them both and then I would have to email you a joint and we could cry together about it. Seriously though sounds like a good idea post some pics when its all copestetic.

that look blazed!! hmm wow I didnt think of that.. I ll stick with aeroponic but will upgrade resv 10 gal to go with.. not bad idea you got there.., what about t8 4 tubes little hut from home depot for 30, get 2, and 2 of big trays, maybe that give your veg plants rooms right now I got no room :(

Tater said:
Yup sounds good to me, be sure to watch your setup though for the first few days (like you weren't going to anyways hehe) to make sure there is no problems like a tray not draining properly as this would leave the other without water and you would lose them both and then I would have to email you a joint and we could cry together about it. Seriously though sounds like a good idea post some pics when its all copestetic.
Will Do Tater.

Ok I set the system up today. Everything works great but I think that as a result of having a 20 Gal res serving two separate 2'X4' trays the pump ran dry during tray 2 flooding. I am using a two separate pumps and two timers to offset the flood/drain for each tray. I think that having less pots in the tray allowed more water to fill tray and run the res down more. I filled a gallon jug of water and placed it between two pots to displace more water in the res and the system is running great. I will keep an eye on everything and update the thread.
P.S. there is 16" more pluming for tray 2 to reach the res.

My girls are in their new home sitting in the two res setup and they are drinking allot of water. They are in week two flower and i have them flooding 8 times a day for 15 minuets for each flood. I am going away for a week and I'm worried about the pump sucking air at the end of the flood. Would cutting the flood time down to 10 minuets lower the water consumption?
:confused:

The girls are in 6 inch pots filled with Hrdroton. There is allot of space between the pots so it takes allot of water from the res and after a few cycles the res gets low and the pump sucks air. Here the question. I have an extra big bag of Hydroton on hand and I was thinking about rinsing the Hydroton and dumping it into the flood tray to displace work water and provide cover for the wandering roots. Can anybody tell me if there would be a problem with this before I dump the Hydroton it the tray????

You'll be fine and cutting your flood time will definetly help, rockwool will pull up water fast and doesn't need to be submerged.

Tater said:

Better late than never. I have it all dialed in and the systems are working great. Now it's up to me.:eek: I would luv to raise tray 2 to eliminate dip/trap in the feed and drain tubing but the girls are too tall to lose the vertical space. It floods and drains good so I'm not going to worry about it for this grow.

Setup 002(4).jpg

Setup 004(3).jpg

Latest posts

Back