Ultimate lighting set up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have read that Newbud thanks for reminding us with the great info ,

btw i did a newer customized CFL's , its exactly like the board i made in my recent pictures however its with 16 CLS rather then 10 , ill post pictures soon,

i have a 600watts HPS on my big plants , im getting heat problems i might switch to CFL in my last weeks. or increase the height of my HPS right now its on 28" abbove plants.

This is all very confusing to a new grower. After some reading I decided on a 200 watt Maxibright 6400k blue spectrum for seedlings and rooting clones.
Then a 600 watt Sunmaster duel spectrum 90,000 lumens for veg and flower.
I don’t know anything about the pros and cons of different manufacturers bulbs, but I’d like an opinion on whether I’ve made a reasonable choice? :confused:

I'd say a very good choice.
I too use duel spec bulbs and i no complaints.
As for the 6400k for rooting and seedlings thats perfect mate.

I clone, root and veg under the 600 duels so no need for your 200 ( dont listen to critics saying 600 too powerful it just not true, or not in my own experiences anyway ) although if you running a seperate veg and clone room it spot on.

Whats confusing you pal maybe i could help or point you in right direction :)

Callawave said:
Sorry. I'll be using four square feet of growspace

great choice on lights but in a space that big ur going ot need lots of ventilation IMO for the 600hps(90,000) 4sq ft= 22,500 lumens per sq ft
if u can keep the temps where they need to be u will have plenty of light

Lol great minds think alike mate ;)
Good point on ventilation man, be needing some good cooling for that, i'd invest in a cool hood and BIG fan for sure

Newbud said:
Whats confusing you pal maybe i could help or point you in right direction :)
Thanks Newbud. Frankly, to much reading I think.
I’ve got a friend who says keep it simple. lol as grows progress you’ll learn to increase your yields. That’s what it’s all about.
Be nice to start with maximum yield possible though :hubba:

Waspfire said:
great choice on lights but in a space that big ur going ot need lots of ventilation IMO for the 600hps(90,000) 4sq ft= 22,500 lumens per sq ft
if u can keep the temps where they need to be u will have plenty of light

My extractor is a Prima Klima 125mm: 2 Speed
Speed1- 230mtr3 per hr
Speed2 - 360mtr3 per hr
Hope that will do it?
When I said four square feet, that's not quite right. I have six and a half feet of headroom.

Callawave said:
When I said four square feet, that's not quite right. I have six and a half feet of headroom.

I might be way off, i'm smashed lol, but you might be confusing area with volume as i first did.

If you talking Lumens per area then really you just need the width and length of your area not the height to calculate the Lumens per sq ft BUT if your factoring in light dissipation over a certain distance from your canopy then all well and good.

I'm going lol too stoned for this level of conversation lol :)

Newbud said:
I might be way off, i'm smashed lol, but you might be confusing area with volume as i first did.
Sorry Newbud, I meant regarding extraction. Four square feet would heat up more than 4'x4'x6'6". If you get my drift. Hoping my extractor's man enough now :eek:
I should have started my own thread instead of taking over yours :eek:

Its all good mate i welcome any input.
Anything that gets put here may be helpful to someone reading it which is more important to me ;)

That is a small space but believe it or not i dont need to much to control temps in my veg room which is about 3.5x4ft with a open 600.
I have no fan but i am able to leave the front open all time lights on and a breeze gets in of a large floor fan i have cooling the larger room that my grows are in :)
I take it you not got air cooled hoods then?
Cool air from outside would be best to vent into your room if poss or air con i guess.
As for extraction i think ideally you want a fan powerful enough to exchange air couple of times a minute.

Your perspective on indoor vs outdoor light is interesting. There are some issues you did not mention. Like uv and ir spectrums. But mostly about the inverse square law. Light will decrease its intensity based on distance. As the distance increase by 2, the intensity decreases by the 2 squared (4). How does this apply to your discussion. Well if you take a plant and move your light 4 ft away, the intensity will decrease by 16. (4 squared). But the distance light travels from the sun, an additional 4 ft is such a small amount of distance, compared to the total distance that the light has traveled from the sun, that there is little difference in intensity from the top of the plant and the bottom of the plant. This is not true with indoor lights.

Moreover, the intensity of the sun changes by latitude and time of year, so to say that the sun equals 10,000 lumens/ft is not at all correct. It may be 10,000 at some place at some time, but that is all.:cool:

Newbud said:
As for extraction i think ideally you want a fan powerful enough to exchange air couple of times a minute.
Twice a minute? :holysheep: Think I need a lot more extraction.
How do you calculate that? JESUS! Twice a minute :eek: That'll suck the walls in :rofl:

Oh and I forgot, the output of the bulb that the manufacturer states is the initial start up output. It drops to 90% to 80% within the first 5 minutes. Within 2 years output intensity is 60% or less.

Moreover, the intensity of the sun changes by latitude and time of year, so to say that the sun equals 10,000 lumens/ft is not at all correct. It may be 10,000 at some place at some time, but that is all.

This has actually being mentioned but cheers :)

There are some issues you did not mention. Like uv and ir spectrums.

Different spectrums and there effects were kind of the whole reason for this post so any info you got regarding em is more than welcome if you wanna share.

As the distance increase by 2, the intensity decreases by the 2 squared (4). How does this apply to your discussion. Well if you take a plant and move your light 4 ft away, the intensity will decrease by 16. (4 squared). But the distance light travels from the sun, an additional 4 ft is such a small amount of distance, compared to the total distance that the light has traveled from the sun, that there is little difference in intensity from the top of the plant and the bottom of the plant.

Glad you brought that up, i thought we'd mentioned it but it i was talking about it in pm's with Waspfire lol

umbra said:
Your perspective on indoor vs outdoor light is interesting. There are some issues you did not mention. Like uv and ir spectrums. But mostly about the inverse square law. Light will decrease its intensity based on distance. As the distance increase by 2, the intensity decreases by the 2 squared (4). How does this apply to your discussion. Well if you take a plant and move your light 4 ft away, the intensity will decrease by 16. (4 squared). But the distance light travels from the sun, an additional 4 ft is such a small amount of distance, compared to the total distance that the light has traveled from the sun, that there is little difference in intensity from the top of the plant and the bottom of the plant. This is not true with indoor lights.

Moreover, the intensity of the sun changes by latitude and time of year, so to say that the sun equals 10,000 lumens/ft is not at all correct. It may be 10,000 at some place at some time, but that is all.:cool:

:goodposting:

yep same thing i was trying to say but umbra put it better then i could have;)

Latest posts

Back