UV light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowRider

Reaction score
No I'm not talking of growing with them. What i do want to know is some facts when using this with your grow lights. I did some digging around and have found that the UV light actually produces more trichs b/c the trichomes actually are a mechanism to protect it self, is this true? Also how long do you need the light on during the day (when lights are on)? from what i heard just 3 times at 10min intervals.

the question you are asking about using uv when growing has been asked many times and often never get answered. and simply is because no one has sat down and researched or experimented on this subject.

I too have looked for the very same information. There were many speculation on why cannabis produces thc. Often times they refer to THC as a waste product trichs produces and expel into the spheres which we call resin heads. As to why the resin heads are there is still in doubt. We simply just do not know. From my research I don't think anyone ever sat down and measured Cannabis reaction to UV spectrum of light and how it reacts, or how much is put out.

A basic rule of thumb would be to measure the sun's uv output and offer your plant that. Can it use more? the simple answer is we just don't know.

Taking a plant indoors and growing it does strip it of some natural light it gets. Obviously UV spectrum is out when it comes to indoors. There is some UV but not as much as the natural sun.

If one can mimic nature without the overcast, drouts, freeze overs and storms. One would have a perfect grow. If someone measured the sun outputs in UV and etc. Took spectrum of light only the cannabis reacts to (LEDS are heading up this path) than you would have an extremely efficient grow. The plant would consume all light you are producing so any heat from these light are being produced and used in an efficient manor.

back to the theory to why cannabis has resin glands and how it protects the calyx from harmful UV rays. Yes this theory is believable. Probably because it is the beat theory there is, Or because it is the only theory mentioned on a video with some guy talking about it and explaining it. Using logic. This theory is on the right path, but when it comes down to the facts... eh... we simply just don't know.

-sPL

3 times a day at 10 mins intervals. good start. mostly if your indoors because you will be producing something that wasn't there but is present in nature virtually throughout daytime.

I know reptile light has some that can produce UV, either UVB or UVA. Not sure if theres both or not.

Trichromes respond more to UVB light.

I have done this test before - good sources of UVB radiation are low power halogen desk lamps, UV sterilization bulbs like what you'd find in a barbershop, and those EcoLite UV lamps you find on the walls of some Mcdonald's. Since they'll come in a large size fluorescent tube, you will want to leave them on all day because larger fluorescent tubes diffuse light more. I will be using a UV light with my current grow if I decide to bloom them out.

While UV has been shown to cause production of THC it should also be remembered UV also breaks down THC. This is one reason why it is a good idea to store your stash in the dark.

I think uv breaking down thc should be more of a concern when it is the end product, detached from its living self. dead, dried flowers.

but I'd imagine it would be different on a living plant.

I had this UV discussion with Marijaunna man regarding the uv tubes that are on the market now.. and it is 100% definate that the UV does has a very posative effect on Tricomb/thc production. I don't remember at what intervals or even if intervalswere discussed but i walked away from the convo thinking that they are on along side and as long as the grow bulbs are..But like I said don't quote me on that part of the convo as I said it did not stand out but the UV part definetly did and the answer again would be yuppers to UV!

Peace

would floro blacklights work along side a 1000w HPS ??....if so i'll go put up 2 4ft bulbs now...that would be 80 watts of UV right ???

PUFF MONKEY said:
would floro blacklights work along side a 1000w HPS ??....if so i'll go put up 2 4ft bulbs now...that would be 80 watts of UV right ???

Your HPS actually emits a fair amount of UVB. You shouldn't need much more of a supplement. And normal fluoro blacklights do not produce the right UV wavelength, you need a sterilization blacklight or a halogen lamp.

KaliKitsune said:
Your HPS actually emits a fair amount of UVB. You shouldn't need much more of a supplement. And normal fluoro blacklights do not produce the right UV wavelength, you need a sterilization blacklight or a halogen lamp.
i was under the impression HPS lighting puts out very little UV or the right spectrum of UV

i would like to hear Hick's input on this...he usually has a really good link or something...would it hurt to put 2 4ft floro blacklites in with my plants just to see what it does ????

LowRider said:
i was under the impression HPS lighting puts out very little UV or the right spectrum of UV

You're right, it's Metal halide and Mercury Vapor lamps that put out UV when it comes to HID bulbs.

And, no, it wouldn't hurt to just hang 4ft standard blacklights for your plants. It might help, but most blacklights for party purposes don't put out the proper wavelength of UV. You might get a reaction, you might not.

Latest posts

Back