Water - Tap - Distilled?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snivvle

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use tap water to grow? I really don't want to buy $50 distilled water for a few plants every time. Should I just use tap water, maybe let it sit for 3 days, maybe boil it, or just plain out tap water? Btw, I am liiving in California, and this tap is pretty crappy.

All input is great!

Thanks

Tap water is okay. Personally, I use rain water and distilled. You might want to check with your local water district, and ask them about the "properties" of the water. I'll make an assumption here...if you live in a primarily agriculture area of Cali, I would say you would be just fine to use it on your crop. Hope this helps.

Nelson

I have a Doulton ceramic water filter that I have hooked up to my sink and I use the filtered water. I usually fill 4-5 2-gallon watering pots and let them sit covered for a day or two before using.

The water filter cost about $175, lasts over a year, are removable to clean them & replacement filters are about $75.00.

Will those Brita water filters that hook directly to your tap work? They are a lot less than 175 i think.

Is there a reason for a ceramic filter?

thx

I have to use drinking water (or distilled) because the pH of my tap water is in the high 7s, and I don't feel like dumping a bunch of adulterated water (from adjusting the pH) into the plants.
The problem with the brita filters is that they will only do enough to make the water healthy to drink. And honestly, you could drink the water straight out of a garden hose without many problems.

Ok this is my first post,a good one for all i hope.
The best water to use has to be water that has been
removed from the air ...ture..?
Using a dehumidifier ....the water is very clean near on ph of 6.8-7.0
as an indoor gardener humidity is allways a problem, but this cures the
problem in addition the water collected is stored for 3 days before use.
perfect for flushing and growing as most of the bad minerals have been
filtered out...i know these can be expensive but you will see a big difference
at harvest day...happy growing all...

point taken ...newgreenthumb ty. will remember for next time ...

Hmmm, thats actually quite interesting. I've never thought of that before. I suppose it would be a nice source, but probably not neccessary unless you have a dehumidifier to start with.

Actually using water from a dehumidifier can contain harmful bacteria and pathogens that have been removed from the air especially inside the house. Just think of these things as riding on the water molecules through the air as this is how they are transported. Rain water is good because it comes from outside and the atmosphere. If your tap water is safe to drink than it would be safe only difference is to allow the chlorine to evaporate by leaving the container open for 24 hours and adjust the ph because tap water is usually very alkaline. It also will most likely contain some trace minerals good for plant growth. Just make sure to draw it from the cold side after allowing the water to run for a few seconds before collection. I hope this info helps. :D :farm:

Latest posts

Back