week 2 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialed

Reaction score
Hello somewhere I read keep lights on them 24/7 first 4 weeks is this correct? I am running 1000watt mh and the old school ballast and that is pretty hot was wondering if maybe im supposed to run 18/6 now or something. give the light some cool off time if nothing else.
thanks

18/6 will do just fine and save you money on electricity and prolong the life of your bulb, thats a big light to run 24/7

thats what i thought thanks for confirming. 10 days went by under fluros and like stopped growing. 2 days under mh and starting to grow again

you should get some nice tight node spacing with that bulb.
good luck

specialed said:
Hello somewhere I read keep lights on them 24/7 first 4 weeks is this correct? I am running 1000watt mh and the old school ballast and that is pretty hot was wondering if maybe im supposed to run 18/6 now or something. give the light some cool off time if nothing else.
thanks

I always veg with lights 24/7. Marijuana will grow all the time the lights are on--they do not need a dark period. When you run the lights 18/6, IMO, you are extending your veg time and encouraging stretching, as they will stretch during the dark period.

how far away would you guys recomend that bulb? right now i am between 2-3 feet

the hemp goddess is correct! Jorge used to say that after 18 you had reached the point of diminishing returns, but I bought the latest edition of "the bible" and he had revised that old theory! I was surprised to read it, I thought the idea was that the plant needed some dark time to rest, make sugars etc...but it must not be the case. I however, have been running 18-6 to try to save on electric bill, I wonder though if it evens itself out, as i may be vegging longer with the dark period rather than constant growth of 24 hrs...hmmmmm any opinions?

im afraid to see my electric bill 1000 watt 18 hours a day. in cali any ideas how bad thats going to hurt

no clue on the rates.... but a suggestion on the light.... why don't you use a smaller wattage bulb for veg, then switch to 1000 watter for bloom?

the way i've figure it, running a 400W MH/HPS for 18/6 is identical in power consumption to running a 600W MH/HPS for 12/12.... i use these wattages as examples because those are the size bulbs/ballasts i use....

wouldnt i have to buy a whole 400 watt system to run the 400 watt bulb? sounds like it would cost more than just using what I have dont you think?

that calculator only shows like $5 bucks more a month on 18 hours a day for a 1100watts. at .26 a kw does that sound right?

specialed said:
wouldnt i have to buy a whole 400 watt system to run the 400 watt bulb? sounds like it would cost more than just using what I have dont you think?

that calculator only shows like $5 bucks more a month on 18 hours a day for a 1100watts. at .26 a kw does that sound right?

LOL--No, that is per day. Here is the math:

1100K*18hrs*.26/1000=$5.148 a day

An electric rate of .26 per KWH is high. You can look at your bill and find out what you pay. Many places have a sliding scale--the more power you use, the more expensive it is. Mine is like that, but I still have very cheap power.

I use a 4 tube 4' T5 fixture to veg my plants--216W total 20000 lumens

gotcha. thanks. no mine is worst case .26 I just wanted to figure worst case theory.

gonna pick up the 400watt system anyways talked to local place and it will be good to have for future grows as well so im gonna spend a few more bucks

with a 400watt mh system am i ok at about 18 inches above or what would you guys do?

don't worry, specialized.... the new system will pay for itself after a couple of crops.... i keep my 400 between 12-18" above the canopy....

cool. so can i use the 400 watt system for flowering as well with maybe at best 6 plants?

You might want to look at T5s for vegging. I have a 400MH that I do not use anymore. I have a 4x2x4' veg space that I use a 4' 4 tube T5 in--216W 20000 lumens. In am below recommended lumens per sq ft, and considered adding another T5, but I get short bushy plants with tight internodal spacing with what I have. I believe that this is because you can keep the T5 within a couple of inches from the top of the plants. I run a perpetual harvest, so have plants in different stages of growth in both rooms. I raise or lower the plants so I can maintain an even canopy.

11-9-09 001-2.JPG

11-9-09 005-2.JPG

i've flowered up to 12 plants in a 2' x 4' cabinet with a 400W HPS and got a very good yield.... plants were a bit crowded though....

i love my T5 too, THG! i've got a 4-bulb 2-footer that i've had for over 5 years now.... wouldn't trade it for anything....

I was thinking about buying a t5 for veg but I would need the 2' one for my veg space. I think THG may have sold me on it, cause you do have nice stocky plants, no stretch. how much of that do you attribute to your light and how much to using hydro though? T5 would definately be cheaper than my 400w, and it is switchable ballast so i could add that to my flower room, and have 1000w in there.....but I just got laid off on friday, so my money may be tight for a few weeks! sorry didn't meen to make this my thread...

Latest posts

Back