What am I doing wrong w/meter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megan23247

Sexy Female Grower
Reaction score
Okay so yesterday I went to hydro shop and got some calibration solution of 7 for my PH meter. I did everything it said to do and for some reason it is will not give me a reading of over 4.5 what am I doing wrong or do I have a bad meter? I took the batteries out thinking it would reset or something but that didnt work.

I tried to call the shop and no answer and I really dont feel like driving all the way back out there if its something im doing wrong.

Also...I bought some Botanicare Hydroplex (High Phosphorous Bloom Enhancer) that the guy said would increase my yeild etc. He said he has seen results in 3 days :rolleyes: . Has anyone ever used this before?

Thanks for the help. :D

I dipped the sensor into the PH buffer of 7 for one min, I then let it sit in distilled water for ten min, I then dipped it into the Ph Buffer of 7 again and turned it on and it read 4.4-4.5. So then I did it again and this time I pushed CAL and it gave me an error of E2 which is wrong buffer.

Hmmm ... mine is one of those that needs to be tweaked with a screwdriver. I'm not familiar with the type of meter you have, so can't offer any advice, I'm afraid.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out though.

Here is a picture of it. Thanks for trying RunbyHemp. :D

IMG00169.jpg

megan23247 said:
I dipped the sensor into the PH buffer of 7 for one min, I then let it sit in distilled water for ten min, I then dipped it into the Ph Buffer of 7 again and turned it on and it read 4.4-4.5. So then I did it again and this time I pushed CAL and it gave me an error of E2 which is wrong buffer.

Some meters need 2 buffer solutions for a 2 part calibration.
4.1 and 7.1
Are you sure you are doing it correctly?
What brand and model is it? maybe we can ind the instructions.

Here are the directions word for word that came with the tester....

"Select ph 7 buffer for general testing; ph 4 for acidic and ph 10 for basic samples. Press ON/OFF button. Dip sensor in chosen buffer about 2 cm deep and stir gently. Wait for displayed value to stabilize at or near pH buffer chosen. Press CAL button. When display flashes, press HOLD/CON button to confirm. Calibration is complete."

Here are the directions that came with PH Buffer 7....

" Pour adequate quantity of reference solution into a clean container. Immerse the PH electrode in PH solution for 1 minute before callibrating. Keep meter immersed in distilled water to extend the life of your meter."

I did all this. ?

well there's your problem. do what the tester says not ph says. you said you did what the ph solution said. just follow what the tester says and you should be golden.

edit: you should do what they both say but you need to hit the buttons on the ph meter in the right sequence.

Is there a way to choose the buffer you want to use? Like before you dip it in see if you can choose 4 7 or 10 then choose 7 dip it in and keep it in the solution. Wait for the meter to stop fluttering then hit the buttons like it says to.

Tater said:
Is there a way to choose the buffer you want to use? Like before you dip it in see if you can choose 4 7 or 10 then choose 7 dip it in and keep it in the solution. Wait for the meter to stop fluttering then hit the buttons like it says to.

I see what your saying but no there isnt a way to select it you just dip it in and then it gives the the reading which should be 7 if your dipping it into a ph of 7 right? lol.

I did exactly as the instructions say although I didnt explain myself to good and it still wont read above a 4.5. :confused:

Thanks for your help.

no no no....

your calibration is probably like my Hanna combo meter..

Turn your meter on..

HOLD on/off button until CAL comes on display.

then the meter will tell you what PH buffer to use.. it will say 4.5 on
the display.. TELLING you to put meter in the 4.5 buffer. So it can
read it and know thats what 4.5 is.

Then it will probably automatically tell you.. to put it in 7.ph solution.
and then it will probably just go to normal screen.

No time during the process would you turn your meter off.

Goodluck..

Latest posts

Back