What are you listening to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I doubt any of you have heard this before. I have the vinyl album, I bought it in 1979 in Lagos. I went to his show one night with my second engineer, two white guys in a crowd of hundreds of Nigerians. Fela smoked huge joints of Nigerian sativa rolled in newspaper. The government and military hated him.

I doubt any of you have heard this before. I have the vinyl album, I bought it in 1979 in Lagos. I went to his show one night with my second engineer, two white guys in a crowd of hundreds of Nigerians. Fela smoked huge joints of Nigerian sativa rolled in newspaper. The government and military hated him.

That's cool. I only have Fela Kuti with Ginger Baker on cd.

great choice of Brit blues Bubba

It was somewhere around '73 or so, they were at the St Louis Blues Arena and I found myself in the middle of that. Two things I remember...one, some poor guy got in a fight seconds before they launched the show and got thrown out, and since it was a make up date, they played for over 3 hours. I always wondered about that guy that missed one of the better shows I've seen...and there was a heck of a lot of them back in those days.

Bubba

And Lou Reed....Always liked that guy. I saw an interview with him about sound and recording. Things were beginning to go digital and the discussion was on equipment, mixing boards and the like. He wasnt having any of the digital stuff and showed what he wanted used, the old analog yes, but vacuum tube equipment.

One of my other hobbies is building high end class A stereo amplification and I was ALL vacuum tube at the time so was very impressed with this.

Bubba

That's cool. I only have Fela Kuti with Ginger Baker on cd.
I know that one, I have the vinyl of it. I was in Miami when I met this guy in a bar in Coconut Grove. He gave me the album. I still have about 15 of his albums... I sold one recently for $200.

Here's the frontman for the Thirteenth Floor Elevators of the 60s after leaving a Texas psych hospital and on his own and covering Lou Reed & Nico's song Heroin .. Lou's song would have Quaaludes melting with love but Roky's version is a heavy 8 Ball infusion .. fitting for the times

Wait, that band hit a memory chord, who was in the band? Trying to remember which documentary I was watching that had mention of Thirteenth Floor Elevators.... I know I watched one about roots of ZZ Top, but there were several others as well, could have been one of them. I'll have to do some searching.

Bubba

Quaaludes....through one of the strangest of coincidences, myself and a couple of friends were very likely among the first to
abuse 714 pills in this Country...which were Roher back then, before Lemon. French Madrax or Placidil gell caps were plentiful, bathroom toilets in bars would be littered with their wrappers.

Bubba

These guys were the first categorized 'psychedelic' rock band in America, late '66 .. they were all from Texas

This album was their first .. I've met Roky a few times at parties .. got pics

.Quays were nice but liquid demerol was my love . it was about access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back