What can I do???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonto

Dry as a bone
Reaction score
I have been thinking about my situation, and currently, if it's available, I'd like to try this. Here are two pictures of the box and fixture I'm using to power the 175w metal halide light. What I want to know is... can I use a HPS light in the same fixture? If so, what watt do you think it can hold? I have no information as far as the ballast goes, this was a gift to me and I ahve no idea. Thanks in advance.
100_0205.jpg

and another pic of the ballast
100_0204.jpg

So... .can I throw a HPS bulb of some sort in there?

you need the proper ballast for the bulb.....i dont know what happens if you dont. but i wouldnt think it would be worth finding out.

ftw2012 said:
you need the proper ballast for the bulb.....i dont know what happens if you dont. but i wouldnt think it would be worth finding out.

Yeah, but I figure if I'm using a 175w MH I could use a 175w HPS?

The red and green wires appear to be very fine gauge, looks like a potential fire hazard to me.. (but I'm no electrician)..

advocate said:
The red and green wires appear to be very fine gauge, looks like a potential fire hazard to me.. (but I'm no electrician)..

It's been used for about 5 years..... thanks for the concern though....

No you cannot use an hps bulb in a mh ballast.

A "Switchable" ballast allows you to operate both types.

Latest posts

Back