What causes this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Hemp Goddess

This only happens once in a while, but it bugs me because I don't know what causes it. It almost looks like the plant wants to start growing again. A small little bud finger emerges from the developed bud. This is at 8 weeks of flowering. Trichs are mostly cloudy. This is only happening to the "secondary" smaller buds. There are 2 main colas that are developing normally (3rd picture).

mp 8-12-08 001 (2).jpg

mp 8-12-08 002 (2).jpg

mp 8-12-08 003 (2).jpg

Sativa or indica? My bagseed Jr. did the same thing. I've been watching and waiting. Cut 4 tops, and she's still looking like your pics. I attribute my issue to her being a Sativa. They can go for a loooooong time...... I've gotten tired of waiting so she's coming down. It seems like ALL the tops on mine started growing again.... I'll be watching this thread to see what everyone says.

4 of 5 of plants did this even the colas. its hard to say @ what week cause i had a couple set backs & had to transplant in week 4 of flower. they are getting chopped sunday cause trichs just stay cloudy/clear which is fine but wanted a lil amber. mine are @...get ready for this... 15 weeks yesterday in flower. they are indica bagseed under 600w hps, temps 78-80* 30-40% rh @ day and dip into low 70's @ night. ive read that in week 7 youll possibly get final growth spurt. yours just might be lagging a lil.

The Toker said:
I have moved my plants indoors to try to stop them from budding, will the go back to veg state if I leave them under 24 hr light

:ccc:The Toker:ccc:

yes,they should.they require at least 12 hours of darkness an order to flower.the only way they wont is if they are an auto flowering strain

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
yes,they should.they require at least 12 hours of darkness an order to flower.the only way they wont is if they are an auto flowering strain
Ya sure ya got the right post????

The Hemp Goddess said:
This only happens once in a while, but it bugs me because I don't know what causes it. It almost looks like the plant wants to start growing again. A small little bud finger emerges from the developed bud. This is at 8 weeks of flowering. Trichs are mostly cloudy. This is only happening to the "secondary" smaller buds. There are 2 main colas that are developing normally (3rd picture).

Ive seen this many times I believe its just a growth spurt toward the end of flowering.

well if heat not the light (im assuming you are running for less than 12 hours at this point). did you do a res change last week????? if i were guessing you had a nuit imbalance goin into last week causing your plants a lil stress. sometimes i find my plants start to get red hairs at that point and try to finish up early. when i do a reschange they bounce back. that being said i also think you have a lot of sativa caracteristics showing in that plant. im thinking it will get bigger and better. if you want to crop early do your thing nothing wrong with that but That plant is telling you it has more to give you. bottom line either reload ithe res with nuits or clearex and crop.

If you post a zoomed out pick i might be able to give you a lil better take on what i think.

In Jorge cervantes book he shows a picture like that of yours. he says the calyxes are stretching up above the bud because of heat stress. If your plant tops are over80 deg. this could be why.

420FREEDOM said:
In Jorge cervantes book he shows a picture like that of yours. he says the calyxes are stretching up above the bud because of heat stress. If your plant tops are over80 deg. this could be why.
mine do this to & i never get above 78*. its also bagseed so i think it could be genetics or lacking of, imo.

I think it's normal for some sativas, I had my last harvest look like that after all the trichs had turned half cloudy/half brown, so I think it may be genetics. That and I also noticed that if I raise my lights they will grow to them in budding phase. I've had to move my lights up and up when they already had calve long buds and almost ready to harvest! Yea I agree with H Man. They can go for a long time, like if you put a bass in a fish tank it wont get very big, put it in a pond and boom! That sucker will be 20 lbs in no time. I found leave the light alone and don't move it up and they will stop that creeping along. The thing is to just watch how close it gets. I had em grow as close as 12 inches from 2 400w HPS and no burn. Looks like that pretty lady has at least another 3 weeks to a month to go, can't see the trichs though. Personally I let them creep till the buds are huge!!! Space is a problem though. God bless hope my first real post was helpful. Peace and God bless you and yours all!!

bombbudpuffa said:
Have you started giving her just plain water?

Yes, she has been on water for almost a week. This is an unknown strain that came from a medical grower in CA, via my niece. It is one of my favorites, though I don't know what it is. There seem to be 2 different types--some stay small and grow a large single cola, some (like this one) get larger (4-5') and bushier. I still think it is indica dominant. They finish in 8-9 weeks generally. At this time, the trichs are mostly cloudy with about 10% amber. I may do a multi harvest on her taking the 2 large colas and give the lower buds some more time.

Temps are kept between about 60 and 82F. No light problems.

Thanks everyone.

:watchplant: I call em spindle tops, I dont know why, but on sativas like my SnowWhite they show up sometimes. If given enough time they fill out fine. Not all buds do this either, just some of the larger colas :hubba:

Latest posts

Back