What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang.........all I got is these.
istockphoto-1442696192-612x612.jpg

Not Thomas on the left and Thomas on the right. Hopefully they never go full spur on me…
View attachment 345671
It's doubtful they'll ever go into attack mode. You are "He, the bringer of food." Critters are smart. They know who's buttering their bread.

someone recently posted a photo of their garlic garden , elephant ear variety , leek

but for the life of me , I cannot recall the name of that garlic farmer…had them in a raised bed about a 6’x 8’ bed

so we got ours done today , 11 rows , about 20 garlic per row

varieties , just three , all Russian hard-necks , two are rated very hot , the other is good in soups

1. Brown Rose garlic….

Brown Rose is a gourmet purple stripe variety that originated from Russia. It has outstanding flavor and is well known for being one of the hottest when eaten raw. The outter wrappers are naturally brown colored, giving this garlic its namesake. Approximately 5-7 cloves per bulb. Hardiness zones 3-8. Bulb size 1.75"+.

2. Lavignia………..a purple striped variety originating in Russia…

Purple Striped garlics are genetically closest to the origins of the garlic species. They are the ancestors of all the other garlic species. They are hardnecks. Unlike most other garlic cultivars available today, some Purple Striped garlic can produce viable ‘seed’ (bulbils) and these garlics evidence the greatest genetic diversity. All garlic species known today originated from the Purple Striped garlics.

Purple Striped garlics derive their name from the beautiful purple striping on the bulb wrappers and clove skins. The cloves are smaller than Rocamboles or Marbled Purple Stripes. The cloves are not difficult to peel, but their clove skins tightly wrap the cloves. This tightness protects the cloves and causes the Purple Striped garlics to last longer in storage.

It is important to know that Purple Striped cultivars must have their scapes removed as soon as they appear. Leaving the scapes on Purple Stripedplants will dramatically compromise the size of the bulb.

Purple Striped garlics are among the finest culinary garlics we have. They possess magnificent flavor – strong, complex and richly garlicky. Generally, they are recognized as the best garlic for roasting.

3.Slovanian……..this one is good in soup…..

Slovakian Garlic & Potato Soup (Cesnaková Polievka)

Adapted from Kuchyna Lidla

Soup

1 tablespoon butter

6 potatoes (about 2 pounds), diced

1 head garlic (about 12-15 cloves), split into cloves and smashed

Salt & pepper

1 bay leaf

1 quart water

To serve

45 Minute Breadsticks

4 ounces gouda cheese, shredded

Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes and fry for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes.

Stir in the water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Split into bowls and top with bread and cheese.

IMG_7157.png

IMG_7156.jpeg

someone recently posted a photo of their garlic garden , elephant ear variety , leek

but for the life of me , I cannot recall the name of that garlic farmer…had them in a raised bed about a 6’x 8’ bed

so we got ours done today , 11 rows , about 20 garlic per row

varieties , just three , all Russian hard-necks , two are rated very hot , the other is good in soups

1. Brown Rose garlic….

Brown Rose is a gourmet purple stripe variety that originated from Russia. It has outstanding flavor and is well known for being one of the hottest when eaten raw. The outter wrappers are naturally brown colored, giving this garlic its namesake. Approximately 5-7 cloves per bulb. Hardiness zones 3-8. Bulb size 1.75"+.

2. Lavignia………..a purple striped variety originating in Russia…

Purple Striped garlics are genetically closest to the origins of the garlic species. They are the ancestors of all the other garlic species. They are hardnecks. Unlike most other garlic cultivars available today, some Purple Striped garlic can produce viable ‘seed’ (bulbils) and these garlics evidence the greatest genetic diversity. All garlic species known today originated from the Purple Striped garlics.

Purple Striped garlics derive their name from the beautiful purple striping on the bulb wrappers and clove skins. The cloves are smaller than Rocamboles or Marbled Purple Stripes. The cloves are not difficult to peel, but their clove skins tightly wrap the cloves. This tightness protects the cloves and causes the Purple Striped garlics to last longer in storage.

It is important to know that Purple Striped cultivars must have their scapes removed as soon as they appear. Leaving the scapes on Purple Stripedplants will dramatically compromise the size of the bulb.

Purple Striped garlics are among the finest culinary garlics we have. They possess magnificent flavor – strong, complex and richly garlicky. Generally, they are recognized as the best garlic for roasting.

3.Slovanian……..this one is good in soup…..

Slovakian Garlic & Potato Soup (Cesnaková Polievka)

Adapted from Kuchyna Lidla

Soup

1 tablespoon butter

6 potatoes (about 2 pounds), diced

1 head garlic (about 12-15 cloves), split into cloves and smashed

Salt & pepper

1 bay leaf

1 quart water

To serve

45 Minute Breadsticks

4 ounces gouda cheese, shredded

Heat the butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the potatoes and fry for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes.

Stir in the water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.

Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup. Split into bowls and top with bread and cheese.

View attachment 346451

View attachment 346449
How deep are your beds ????

We have 70mph winds here just for giggles as well........makes fire go fast!

same here…seen days when it was 40-60 mph sustained winds with gusts as high as 80……all freaking day

if it was West Palm Beach Florida it would be a Cat 5 with mandatory evacuations

How deep are your beds ????

8-10 inches

I have a couple does that hang out around the fringes of my yard.
They used to come out in the yard all the time, but our newest dog, Rex, likes to bark at them. Ole’ Gunner has never been interested in anything that goes on in the yard.
I once had a fox chase chickens all over the yard. I ran in the house, got a gun, managed to kill the fox, and Gunner watched the whole show from the porch, where he was occupying the swing. Never even offered to bark.
Anyway, all deer are safe in my yard, unless they are over 130”.

Latest posts

Back