WHAT is this?! ....Please read

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
I checked on my three babies tonight, 2 chocolope and one sour cream. They are about a week and a half old since they sprouted out of the ground.

- When i kneeled down to examine the plants, i noticed there were these little flies flying around my lights/plant. They are very small, look like nats. There wasn't too many of them, maybe around five or six i believe.

-Is this anything that I should be worried about? Where the hell did they come from, its winter time. If they are a problem, what should i do?:holysheep:

yes they are a problem you need to get rid of them before it gets out of hand, you can try Vapona Strips just hang one in your room or try something like pine oil which is very good

you'll be okay if:

you get some yellow sticky traps and put them in the grow room...these are non toxic yellow cards covered with super sticky stuff...

fungus gnats (which is probably what u have) love the color yellow and get stuck in the traps...

EDIT: (thx LF:))I forgot to mention diatomaceous earth if you grow in soil..will cut 'em to shreds...

kill em now...they get on your buds...yuck!

I'm assuming you are in soil? I had a problem last grow with gnats. If they are fungus gnats they can be a real problem, as they will eat away at your root system. You might try watering from the bottom up (like a wick system) for awhile and let the first couple inches of your soil stay dry. I also put up sticky fly strips to catch them. I also put a good inch to 1 1/2" of perlite on the top of my soil, but I have read that sand will work also. Also there is a product called diatomaceous earth that you can put as a top dressing it will kill them. If none of these work for you, you will have to go to something stronger...chemicals, pyrethrum will kill them, but I'd try the natural controls first.

I also took a quick look in a book I have which says all the things I mentioned plus cinnamon oi and tea, horticultural oil, Insecticidal soap, Neem oil, and predatory mites.

Good luck to you!

when i grew in soil i also had gnats it is more important to kill the larvae and deprive them from food and habitat to lay eggs. you need to clean up the room from all dead decaying leaf cuz this is food for them and remove any open water containers since thats where they lay eggs, dry the top of soil, check your res if it's full of larvae you you could try gnatrol it's organic gnat pesticide for water larvae, gnats are kind of mosquitoes the flying ones can be killed with household pesticides if there are no flowering buds around. i like to deal with the problem and solve it so i didnt like the sticky strips not that they dont work but i wasnt sure i got every one so i used to clean up between harvests and then just nuke my room with commercial mosquito pesticide.
another time i had a serious infestation was with white flies like the ones you're describing i was handwatering growrocks and they lived in them for long undetected until i saw a few so i flooded the buckets and out came 100's if not 1000's of these nasty things i kept flooding again and again but they just survived so i had to go chemical on the roots i flooded them in outdoor toxic pesicide the one used for fruiting trees and quickly flushed with water and it did the job perfectly, thats just my experience i hope your infestation is not as serious ;)

i've had these from almost day one, only they dont get all wack outta hand. i get em comin in the house by my dryer vent too some how. i jsut put up them sticky fly trap tape thingys right outside my flower room door(cuz i keep it pen lites on) i figure it'll drive em out of the grow at least.
and it does. i hung one inside the grow for bout a week and there wasnt squat on the thing, but i kept seein the buggers flyin round. so i hung it back up outside the room and sure as hek they all dang near filled the tape strip in two days :confused2: i wonder why they wouldnt go to the tape while inside the room tho.....? baffles me tho
but now that its winter my problem has dissapated quite alot so far. only now an then do i see one flyin round.
kinda reminds me of them lil black dots (floaties) ya see in the corner of your eye but its really nothin there and just keeps boppin around an lookin like a fly LOL.
:stoned:

Latest posts

Back