What soil do you all use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Getmelifted

Reaction score
If you all were to recommend a good soil for an indoor soil grow what brand and type would it be?
Im going to need something basic that really wont require nutes or simple nutes. My dad seems to be messing up our grows and Im not sure if its because he is using too much nutes or what the deal is.

But I want to start off doing a basic indoor grow, cause right now my plants seem to be dying off towards the end of the grow and I know they cant be done at 6 weeks

You are going to need to add nutes at some point no matter what soil you use...unless you grow autos...I hve grown them and only added flowering nutes towards the end...and some hve grown them with no nutes at all...
I am in the minority and like using Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix...it has very little in it in the way of nutrients and the soil is great at promoting strong root growth...I wld not use regular Miracle Grow with the built in ferts that feed for 3 months...you want to hve as much control over the feeding process as possible....

i actually do just the opposite of what you want to do and it works just fine.... i use Fox Farm Light Warrior seed starting soil.... it's got great drainage and holds moisture pretty good.... after a few waterings with plain water all of the nutrients have been totally washed out.... so i pretty much wind up with an inert media that allows really accurate control over fertilizing with bottles....

it's also got myco fungi in it which really helps clones and seedlings have some explosive root growth and better feedings....

you may find something that will work okay through veg or flower, but it might be difficult to find something that will work for both without adding some form of supplemental nutrients eventually....

roots organic soil by aurora...and aurora nute products..love buddha bloom the thing with plants is that in the beginning they cant eat all those nutes..like a baby as they get older they need them to grow..so that is why we like to add the nutes as the plants need it.

check out subcool's super soil. I believe that when using that all you do is water the entire grow. There is a thread here somewhere ..just unable to remember right know.

Thanks Hamster:)

Yes subcool most definitely has it going on:aok:
I would be using his stuff if I grew in soil
Gonna be doing his bubble hash here real soon:D

i went out and bought the miricle grow organic today wheres a good place to pic up some nutes?

Hey there getmelifted!

I too am in the minority as far as soil use goes. I use Miracle Grow moisture control with the 3 mo nutes added. I water to the point of leaching the pots after the soil drys out each time so that by flowering most of the nutes are gone anyway. I plant my seeds in regular old good grade potting soil and transplant into one gallon pots filled with the MG soil. They love it!
I even pop my rooted clones right in it right from the get go.
After I switch the lights I feed a flowering nute with alot of K and P and just enough N to keep things green.
I find that it keeps things simple and no overfertilizing accidents to worry about. Just light, water, and watch! I love it...

I can't take anything away from good old poo tho..my dad used chicken on the maters.
This is easier that's all. I think in the spring I will try a batch of Subcools advanced poo myself!

HI,

I use Subcool's soil and I LOVE it but if you're fairly new to growing and still getting a grip on things I'd suggest going with a simpler method imho... If you live in a med mj state I'm sure there's a grow shop that sells Foxfarm Ocean Forest Soil. Get 2 bags of that and 1 bag of FF Light Warrior soiless mix with mychorrizae... if you'd like add some chunky perlite at around 4:1 ratio... Mix it all up, and away you go.

I've done very dank grows in FFOF with NO nutes as an experiment. I had better results in my experiments with the same strain doing light feedings about every other to every 3rd watering. There are quite a few quality soils on the market and FFOF isn't cheap but millions of growers have proven it's quality time and again. FFOF is very rich in organic amendments and your plants wont require any nutes until flowering if you veg them less than 6 weeks in FFOF. Just about any brand of nutes will work but Foxfarm also makes some really high quality ferts that work very well with FFOF. If you want to keep it really simple you could just pick up FF Tiger Bloom base nute and you'll get very good results. To round out the picture Tiger Bloom plus FF Big Bloom will give your plants more micronutrients and a PK boost they need in flowering and it's formulated to work hand in hand with Tiger Bloom. They have 3 other products that complete their soil feed line of nutes and they refer to these as Solubles: Open Sesame, Beastie Budz & Cha Ching.. Each one of these is only used for a couple of specific weeks during flowering. You can get excellent results without these but many growers also add these to their nutes...

Start with 1/3 to 1/2 strength feedings and watch for any sign of nute burn on the new growth emerging. If you don't see any burn you can slightly increase your next nute application. Feed your plants nutes every other or every 3rd watering... the organics in the soil will fill the gaps in nutes from the bottle... Use large enuf pots so that your plants aren't root bound for their size. When you water, do so slowly and until you get some runoff out of the drainage holes. The best rule of thumb is to wait to water or feed again until the top 2-3" of soil is thoroughly dry and the pot just *starts* to separate on the sides from the soil... You can also lift smaller pots to feel how light they are getting and over time you'll develop a feel for how much they weigh when they need watering. As you get more experience you can watch your plants for the leaves to slightly droop and that indicates that they need watering but the dry soil surface method is great to use until you get a better eye for what to watch.

Happy Growing!:cool:

Latest posts

Back