what type of light..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calbear said:
I'm using this thread as it seems to be the most recent. I am building 1st garden, on the cheap.Staying w/in the law for now ( total 6 female, plus 12 more veg). Using indoors for veg only, will trans outdoors for flowers, 6 at a time. I have shop light fixtures, 48" t-12, on adjustable chains. Does anyone know if the Virilux Full Spct(6,280K, 94.5 CRI) is as good for veg as the Agrosum tube, with less K and CRI, but, maybe better spectrum? I know I should invest in T-5....maybe next year. And, I can get at least 2 outdoor flower yields this way as it is.
Guess I could shorten all this by just asking: What is the best 4' T-10 or T-12 bulb available?...and, one last question: should I wait for more testing on LED's?...Or, has anyone found one that is better per $$ than T-5??

Hey Calbear!

Welcome to the forum. First off, if your on a budget, this probably isn't the right thread as there are some pretty advanced topics discussed here. And you certainly can't get into LED's "on the cheap."

As an option, you may instead want to look at cfl's as opposed to a T12 bulb. A few bulbs in the 6500k rating may help you get what you're looking for, and can be done relatively inexpensively.

There are some great growers here that use cfl's for veg- take a look at some grow journals and you should find some specific info to help you make your decisions.

Good luck to you- let us know how it works out!

BBFan said:
As an option, you may instead want to look at cfl's as opposed to a T12 bulb. A few bulbs in the 6500k rating may help you get what you're looking for, and can be done relatively inexpensively.

There are some great growers here that use cfl's for veg- take a look at some grow journals and you should find some specific info to help you make your decisions.

Hey there Calbear,

In addition to the MP grow journals, here's a link to a very cool external journal on CFL's and D.I.Y. LED's. It's worth a read or two, if you've got some time:-

Rolling Thunder said:
"Autos" LED/CFL Guide - LED Home Build

hXXp://www.marijuanagrowing.eu/autos-led-guide-led-home-build-hello-friends-t28041.html

The author of the above journal shows us how to make our own LED fixture, as supplemental lighting, with CFL's being the main source. By the look(s) of his pics, he grew some serious dank with that set-up; and it's one I'd seriously contemplate, if I was a handyman (with some tools) and working with a tight budget. If you're going to try your hand at making your own LED fixture, though, stick with the 1 watt diode(s) with a 60 degree beam angle. If the LED is only for supplementing CFL lighting, then you don't really need to include any blue LEDs; but be sure to combine the 660 nm diodes with the 630s, to help minimize stretching and bud fluff. - RT

The thread is great ,plenty of info.
But i' biais as i have used other lights but i am a led user all the way through now.
i have used only the 90 watt units ( 660 reds with blue ,orange,white to fill out spectrum)but place 1 over each plant and have found good results down through the canopy. covered in trichomes no hype .but at this time only 2 oz average dry per plant, plant size 2 1/2 to 3 ft..
now i'm bending/opening the plants up more and expecting loads of good times from the looks of the ladies.

Latest posts

Back