what type of light..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
midnightTOKER85 said:
when is liight more important during veg stage or flower stage

Hey there MT85,

That depends in part on the goals that you set for your grow. For example, if one of your goals is to increase the ratio or number of females you end up with when growing from seed, then it is critical to give your seedlings the right colour and amount of light during those first few weeks of growth, as it makes a huge difference, in the ratio of girls to boys. If you have'nt checked out Mutt's Sticker on that subject, it's worth a read.

Secondly, if another goal is to realize the highest possible yield, then again, the right kind and amount of light is equally critical during the veg stage as well. You need to provide them with the maximum amount of the best possible light, without stressing them out, in order to maximise your end yield, in terms of weight; 30 watts per square foot is not going to yield as well as 60 watts per square foot, nor will 60 watts per square foot yield as well as 90 watts per square foot. Having said that, it is important to also realize that there are other growth factors besides light that can affect the light's ability to yield; such as a deficiency in CO2. It is not good enough just to hang a big light and think it's going to produce a big yield, if several other of the growth factors are out of wack. But the point is, if you want to maximise your yield, then peak lighting is equally critical during the veg stage.

Thirdly, it goes without saying that peak lighting conditions are critical during the flowering stage, for obvious reasons. Low lighting conditions during flowering will result in several negatives that will not only affect your yield, but also the overall quality of the bud itself. Now, there are a host of indicas and indica dominant varieties that will perform very well in small spaces and very low lighting conditions. Northern Lights is the classic example of that. However, that is not to say that they will not perform much better under optimal growing conditions. Sativas and sativa dominant varieties, on the other hand, generally do not do as well under under low lighting conditions. They'll often hermy on you, if you screw them out of the right kind and amount of light, which is a major negative for most good growers.

So, as you see, it kind'a depends on the goals that you set for your grow. If maximizing yield is not one of those goals, then it would be more important for you to maximize lighting conditions during the flowering stage. But even then, you run the risk of stressing out the ladies if you screw too much with the type and amount light iduring their transition from vegging into flowering. It should be the goal of every good grower to make that transition as stress-free as possible, for good reasons. Having said that, there is an axiom that what does'nt kill you will only only make you stronger. There are specific instances when a breeder will intentionally place his ladies under a huge stress load in order to weed out the weak and select the strongest breeders for the next generation. They intentionally try to force them to hermy, and those that resist to the very end, make it to the next round. Those that give into the stress, and pop some bananas get axed.

Except nowadays, those bitches are viewed as desirable for making feminized seed. Sh%t, that sucks really large. ~ RT

lets say I have one badass light and cant get another one for awhile. I want to have the big one on the flowers and keep the mother under the smaller ones

midnightTOKER85 said:
lets say I have one badass light and cant get another one for awhile. I want to have the big one on the flowers and keep the mother under the smaller ones

Yes, that's the way it's done, but you can't root your clones under that big badass light. I hope you realize that. What kind of light is the mom kept under? If it's not the right kind of light for rooting clones, and you only have room for two lights, then you'll need to get a light that is good for both rooting clones and keeping clone moms.

there are all cfl the big one is a flood light and I was thinking of putting the mum under a series of smaller cfls of course with enough lumens I have gotten seeds to root b 4 with the big one but I am not going to use it for clones I am not going to skimp on the lights,,,,,, there will be enough light when I start

midnightTOKER85 said:
there will be enough light when I start

And just how much light will that be, precisely? Tell us a little more about your flood light and why you think it'll grow you some good bud? Or, why you have specifically chosen that light over the rest? Do you know anyone that successfully grew some dank bud with a flood light like yours?

midnightTOKER85 said:
there are all cfl ... the big one is a flood light ... and I was thinking of putting the mum under a series of smaller cfls of course with enough lumens ... I have gotten seeds to root b 4 with the big one but I am not going to use it for clones ... I am not going to skimp on the lights ... there will be enough light when I start

Well, anyway, I was just wondering if one of your close buds had tried that light before. The second most important think in your garden is the light, but the number one thing of importance is the seed. But next to the seed, it is the light, followed by CO2. Make sure before you start that you have the right equipment. A good start promises a good ending. Good luck with your first grow!

Here is a couple of links, (in the mean time,) to some step-by-step grow guides on how to keep clone mums, and how to take clones from them. You will see some impressive growing technique.

All About Bonsai Clone Mums!
hXXp://www.cannabase.com/cl/pages/mums/mums.html

Taking Clones from Bonsai Mums
l

i havent tried the light with clones but I have grown some from seed with the light didnt finish the grow because I had move across the country. thanks for the links it will be the first time haveing a mum for clones. I was gorwing for a mum when I moved. sucks I gotta start from seed this is gonna take fore ever. thanx again

Cultivo Led 3W (105W. en total)
hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5PYDbvUpBg[/URL]

Rolling Thunder said:
... the clip entitled 'Cultivo Led 3W (105W. en total). That's a fairly impressive 100w grow! Try to imagine what it would have looked like had it been grown under 300w total, or even 600w?

Slide Show of a 300w LED Grow Two Weeks from Finish
hXXp://www.flickr.com/photos/glowdynamics/sets/72157621936977643/show/with/3829410252/[/URL]

Rolling Thunder said:
... link to a photo collection of bud grown under their 300w LED. They're some of the best LED bud shots I've seen so far.

RT

the bad *** light im talking about is this one 65 watt 6,825 lumens it has 500watt light output. its nice and bright and cfl....as far as lumens and space goes I think the light will be enought like I said havent finished a grow with it but have started

midnightTOKER85 said:
the bad *** light im talking about is this one 65 watt 6,825 lumens it has 500watt light output. its nice and bright and cfl....as far as lumens and space goes I think the light will be enought like I said havent finished a grow with it but have started

Thanks, MT. It would be a nice show, if you'd care to journal it for us, with pics. I'm curious to see what you can do with it. Do you have a spectral distribution chart for it, btw?

Reason for edit: Spelling correction. Changed `js`to us.

It`s a graph of the peaks and valleys of the bulb`s colour spectrum, or the strengths and weaknesses of its wavelengths. Keeping on top of that information is a good habit to develop, over time, as a top-notch grower.

Since you already have the bulb, it would be nice to give it a complete test-run. I have never grown anything under a cfl, but I see there are other members here that have and do. If you`re up to it, the next time you get that bad-a$$ producing some more green medicine, start up a thread to journal-out your grow for us. I`m sure there are a whole bunch of helpful green-thumbs that would coach you along the way, whenever you run into the odd snag or two. - RT

Hey there MT,

Check out this thread whenever you've got a few minutes to kill. It's a good one:

"Autos" LED/CFL Guide - LED Home Build

hXXp://www.marijuanagrowing.eu/autos-led-guide-led-home-build-hello-friends-t28041.html

Be sure to change hXXp to http! Overgrow the gov'! - RT

Rolling Thunder said:
So, if we average out the sativa yield, the low would be 15g/p and the high would be 25g/p, making for an average of 20g x 11p, for 220g. The low indica yield would be 25g and the high 35g, making an average of 30g x 9p, for 270g. Approximate total yield, then, is 490g, or .82 grams per watt. That's close to half a gram lower than the first run! Mind you, this is total guess work on my part. I don't imagine it being lower than that, but it might have been a little higher, based on the results of the first grow.

Just as a follow-up on my earlier "guesstimate", the dokster finally got around to posting a dry-bud yield of his 600W LED test grow, and it was 540grams, minus all the "fluff," as he calls it. Better than my initial guesstimate, but not as good as his first LED test run, in which he yielded about 1.2 grams per watt. He has not updated the thread linked above, but you will find an update @ => hXXp://www.softsecrets.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=6509&p=103346&hilit=LED+Spectra+Unit+300Watt+product+test#p103346

The above thread also features a 2 minute video clip of the highlights of the grow. Now, I suppose there are not a few sceptics here who reason that unless you can yield 4 oz per plant under an LED, that then they must be a waste of time. I would personally disagree with that opinion myself, and tend to think of that perspective as rather narrow. Perspective is everything, and their are far more considerations that factor into the overall equation than just total grams per plant.

Watt for watt, the best LED will easily out perform the best HPS lamp. I mean if we were to match 600w LED against 600w HPS. I say that despite the results of dokkie's 600W LED test run; which I chalk-up to grower error(s). Having said that, I admit that I am speculating here, as I personally have not seen an LED test run turn out 2 grams per watt, which I know has been achieved by many top-gun HPS growers. Perhaps Stoneybud shall be the first to reach that marker. I trust his upcoming journal of his great experiment will be of `stickie`quality. More power to Stoney! :aok: - RT

Rolling Thunder said:
Watt for watt, the best LED will easily out perform the best HPS lamp. I mean if we were to match 600w LED against 600w HPS. I say that despite the results of dokkie's 600W LED test run; which I chalk-up to grower error(s). Having said that, I admit that I am speculating here, as I personally have not seen an LED test run turn out 2 grams per watt, which I know has been achieved by many top-gun HPS growers. Perhaps Stoneybud shall be the first to reach that marker. I trust his upcoming journal of his great experiment will be of `stickie`quality. More power to Stoney! :aok: - RT

Hey RT!- Hope you're good. Always enjoy your posts.

I'll admit I'm not up on the latest with LED. But I was wondering your thoughts on lumen to lumen comparison; LED to HPS? I would think that more important peaks of photosynthesis could be hit with better output by the LED's- is the technology there yet?

BBFan said:
I'll admit I'm not up on the latest with LED. But I was wondering your thoughts on lumen to lumen comparison; LED to HPS? I would think that more important peaks of photosynthesis could be hit with better output by the LED's- is the technology there yet?

Hi there BBFan. Great to hear from you again! Thanks for asking bro', and while I'm certainly no expert on LED technology myself, by any stretch of the imagination, I do believe, on fairly good ground(s), that present LED technology is more accurate and quite able to hit all those crucial peaks more efficiently than HPS. And that this accuracy and efficiency will only improve with time. Like Stoney says, based on my current knowledge of LED technology, it is very likely that we are standing at the threshold of a major paradigm shift among indoor growers. Get ready to ride the crest of the wave, bro'! It'll be a hell-of-a-ride, I bet!! Btw, check out this HT article. It's a good one: Will LED's Sink or Swim in the Grow Room? => hXXp://hightimes.com/grow/nico/5449 <=

:lama: Got'ta run now, bro', but I'll catch up with ya a little later! - RT

Great article RT! Thank you.

It's unfortunately so true that the market drives the product as much as it does the price (I guess that's an oxymoron of sorts:confused: ).

They mention the potential of HID improving spectrum to those levels, but I just don't see how it's possible, at least in any way cost effectively.

You are correct, we stand upon the precipice of great change in indoor lighting.

Thanks again!

-BBFan

Latest posts

Back