what's the best light for flowering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i have no problems with PENETRATION...... NOR do i have problems with bleaching .

A sog is going to ensue in that space and those lumens will be enjoyed at a cool 77 degrees.

Do i have too much light?

Mr.Wakenbake said:
...But depending on the distance of the lights to the plants, the amount of energy or light that actually reaches the plants is reduced and degraded with distance.Therefore the wattage measurement fails you because it doesn't take into account how fast light degrades on distance from the source.

Yet again another reason why W per square foot should be ditched for Lumens per square foot.
The number of total lumens in your grow room tells just as little about light degredation as total watts does. Let's use a Hortilux HPS bulb, a bulb both you and I use, as an example:

600W: 88,000 lumens
1000W: 145,000 lumens

With a 6000W grow room, six 1000W lamps would amount to a total of 870,000 lumens. Ten 600W lamps would amount to 880,000 lumens, which is nearly identical statistics... this doesn't tell me at all which would be the more effective light setup.

But with this, you raise an excellent point; 1000W lamps can be several feet away from the edges of the growroom, making it impossible to get nearly as much useable light to the outside plants as there is to the plants directly beneath. One could argue that a 1000W lamp is almost twice as bright and has a lot more of an effective radius (light penetration) than a 600W. But also a case can be made for the 600W that instead of wasting the lumens because of the bulb being so far away, the more even spread of light brings those lumens to the tops of more plants.

I'm eager to find out the answer to this, without it I'll be hesitant to start the construction of my next grow room.

Hey WANTING. get an HPS. Get a $15 thermometer and hygrometer. Use as much light as you can afford to over your space and be able to keep the room no warmer than 80degrees, ever. The more light is always better. Use the most you can without getting the room too hot. More plants together gets bigger top buds or grow a few monsters, yields are really about the same, per wattage, I've found. Fewer plants IMO are easier to take care of.
i use 600 watts over 6X6ft room- with 4 plants and an AC in the room.

Latest posts

Back