What's wrong with this little guy? He's twisting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Dummy

Reaction score
He's about a week old. That's a 150 watt equivalent cfl above him. He's in miracle grow soil. Ph is fine. I might be over-watering. Will over-watering cause this?

Or, is there nothing wrong?

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

it looks like you need a fan they look burnt from the heat

Thanks for the reply. It's about 26 degrees C in there, and never gets hotter than 29. (about 80-85F)

Humidity is about 60%.

It's not uncomfortable with a hand placed where the leaves are.

There is a fan, but I don't run it continuously.

Think those are unfavorable conditions? Decent conditions?

I can be the heat, did u give any ferts to them yet?? it can be a # of things. Keep the fan going to make the steam strong. if u gave any ferts stop they not ready yet.

BluntFullOfKush said:
did u give any ferts to them yet??

None at all. I think the soil is supposed to be good for 3 months, so I figured any feed right now would be overdoing it. I'll probably use different soil next time, but I have what I have right now.

Big Dummy said:
None at all. I think the soil is supposed to be good for 3 months, so I figured any feed right now would be overdoing it. I'll probably use different soil next time, but I have what I have right now.

Miracle grow is not made for mj. There are a hundred threads on here where people have burnt their plants or had stunted growth due to miracle Grow soil. There is a few people that swear by it and say it is the best but I personally will never touch the stuff. I think the first thing I learned about growing weed was that miracle grow will burn your plants. In my town it is just commen knowledge that you dont grow weed with mg. If I was you I would invest in some good soil and transplant those babies. Good luck with the grow!!

maineharvest said:
I think the first thing I learned about growing weed was that miracle grow will burn your plants.

Yes. So, do you think that's the reason those little leaves are twisting like that? Anyone else think that?

maineharvest said:
If I was you I would invest in some good soil and transplant those babies.

Ok. I said "I have what I have" because I thought transplanting them would be worse then letting them continue where they are. You're changing my thoughts on that.

Btw, sorry I didn't put this in the sick plant section. I'm not even sure they're sick, but that's probably where I should have posted.

Anyone think I should remove the reflectors from the CFLs? I usually see CFLs without reflectors. I thought - the more light, the better.

MJ "will" grow in MG soil, i`ve done it,TBG has done it.
i think it`s too hot soil for seedlings and they get a bit rough round the edges with that, but they grow it out and need minimal attention from there on in.
just a thought... and yes, the more light the better so keep hose reflectors in dude.
good luck.

shuggy4105 said:
i think it`s too hot soil for seedlings and they get a bit rough round the edges with that, but they grow it out and need minimal attention from there on in.

That makes me feel a little better.

I lifted the lights 2 inches and I'm running continuous fan now.

shuggy4105 said:
and yes, the more light the better so keep hose reflectors in dude.

Thanks. It's good to get some reassurance.

I'm still interested in more input if anyone else has seen small ones like this. You can also tell me to stfu. :) They seemed to be doing pretty good compared to a lot of things I've seen. I just want to fix small problems before they become big problems. A this age, any problem seems like a big problem.

maineharvest said:
Miracle grow is not made for mj. There are a hundred threads on here where people have burnt their plants or had stunted growth due to miracle Grow soil. There is a few people that swear by it and say it is the best but I personally will never touch the stuff. I think the first thing I learned about growing weed was that miracle grow will burn your plants. In my town it is just commen knowledge that you dont grow weed with mg. If I was you I would invest in some good soil and transplant those babies. Good luck with the grow!!
I really dont want to hurt any ones feelings here,but I have to say something.There also MANY of growers on here That LOVE MG.(I AM NOT ONE OF THEM:D ) The Brothers Grunt for one, has excellet harvests using MG.Correct me if I am wrong,but he doesnt give any of his ladies any nutes until the second week of flowering.Do a search on this site for MG and you will hear pros and cons on it.But when used correctly MG will give you great harvests.IMHO the heat may not be to hot on your hand,but dirrect heat is ALOT different then heat with a fan blowing on them little ones.Plus you are using a heavy duty metal cover which will throw of heat its self.Put a fan on them LOW, osculating,IMO you will be fine:woohoo: Hope this helps,Keep it GREEN:hubba:

Big Dummy said:
That makes me feel a little better.

I lifted the lights 2 inches and I'm running continuous fan now.

Thanks. It's good to get some reassurance.

I'm still interested in more input if anyone else has seen small ones like this. You can also tell me to stfu. :) They seemed to be doing pretty good compared to a lot of things I've seen. I just want to fix small problems before they become big problems. A this age, any problem seems like a big problem.

You sound like me only recently. I had failure after failure after failure. Everybody told me "get the plants out of MG and get better lights"... but persistence pays off when you make your mistakes. I went through literally 148 plants in my first bad attempt. With adequate drainage, good love, and proper lighting you can make any plant grow... especially weed. They call it "weed" for a reason, it is a very resilient plant and is very "life oriented". I just mean that when it comes to fighting for it's life or giving up and dying, MJ plants tend to fight.

I also grow in MiracleGro potting soil and I use MiracleGro products on my plants. I have no issues with it once I got the lighting and watering schedule for my plants down.

I think raising the lights and keeping the fan on will help. The oscilating floor fan I bought has prevented the need for me to stake my plants anymore. It will keep your stems strong and thus the plant will be better prepared for the weight of flowering.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. Hope I helped some.

~Metalchick

I also grow in MG i dont se anything wrong with it at all. And sence u didnt give any ferts i think it ya heat.

Mg, Sence it has ferts in it when i give ferts a month in to growing at less then or no more then 1/4th the dose by the time to flower most or all of the ferts are gone give a nice flush and start with ya flower ferts you cant go wrong that way. Ive also had a bad experince wit MG but it waz my vary 1st grow and i wa useing ferts way too soon and given too much.

My next active grow that im planning now ill do a side by side of MG and Black Gold. One ill be giveing ferts 3weeks in at 1/4 dose and the other ill wait a month and give less then 1/4. and see if we get the same results for both or what not.

good idea dude, that`s the sort of crops we all want to see. could be interesting to follow...

maineharvest said:
Very, very debatable MG issue arrisen again. Stick with it man, MG is ok for MJ, lots of controversy about MG but ive had 2 crops before with it so it obviously can be used. No offence intended to u MG haters out there, just stating a point that it can be used.

Good luck with ur grow man.

i second that,:yeahthat: ":stoned:" love it!

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Here's what I've done.

I lowered the temp a few degrees, so now it's between 24 and 26.

I also raised the lights 5 inches.

I haven't seen any change in condition yet. I'm inclined to believe that I don't have a heat problem, but I'm going to keep the temp and light position the same for awhile.

The soil, to be more specific, is MG "Vegetable and Flower." If they're getting too many nutes right now, then I can expect them to grow out of it? Right?

I really have no complaints on growth or size. I just know they're a little unhappy about something.

Flyinghigh said:
You kept saying he ! it is a he ?

Hope not. I mentioned that earlier, but I have 5. One must be a she. :)

All are experiencing the same symptoms. Not surprising, since all are receiving the same treatment. The one experiencing the least symptoms is the darkest green in color. That give anyone an idea?

Latest posts

Back