When do you switch from fluorescent to MH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Currently, there are about 15 seedlings
(4-7 days old) growing under a
80 wat fluorescent light....

Somone told me you can grow weed from sprout to harvest under fluorescents....and somone else told me they are only good for seedling and vegitative growth.....

WHICH IS IT?

and If they are only for seedlings.....how old and how big do the plants need to get before you switch to a MH light?

(Im only going to keep females and kill the males....so what type of light do i need for about 8 females?)

.....any other tips on getting through the seedling process would be great
Thanks

I was only joking around for my own amussment...i do not grow,maufactor,sell,or smoke marijuana.....infact i do nothing illegal....i just wanted to waste your time.....hahaha

DEATHMETALSTONER said:
Currently, there are about 15 seedlings
(4-7 days old) growing under a
80 wat fluorescent light....

Somone told me you can grow weed from sprout to harvest under fluorescents....and somone else told me they are only good for seedling and vegitative growth.....

WHICH IS IT?

and If they are only for seedlings.....how old and how big do the plants need to get before you switch to a MH light?

(Im only going to keep females and kill the males....so what type of light do i need for about 8 females?)

.....any other tips on getting through the seedling process would be great
Thanks

I was only joking around for my own amussment...i do not grow,maufactor,sell,or smoke marijuana.....infact i do nothing illegal....i just wanted to waste your time.....hahaha

While you can go all the way through harvest with fluoros, they will not produce nearly the quantity of bud that a HPS will. You should also be aware that, lumen for lumen, fluoros cost more to purchase initially, cost more to operate every month, run hotter, and produce less than a HPS.

The size light you need for flowering depends on how large your space is, not how many plants you have. How large is your grow space?

A fan blowing gently on your seedlings will help strengthen the stems and keep your plants supplied with CO2.

It would be nice to see some pics. but....

Typically I think you want to leave seedlings and clones under the floros. for 1-2 weeks before switching to the HIDs.

While under the floros you can keep the light pretty close. When you switch to the MH make sure you test how close the light is with your hand. You don't want to schorch 'em!!

THE HEMP GODDESS----------

yes its a small closet (coat rack closet)......im guessing its 3.3 feet long 4.5 feet wide and 7 feet tall......

i have a fan circulating air and i blow out a bong hit in the closet for C02......

but yeah even if i do go with HPS lights....when is it time to switch them to it? and will it supply the plants with energy to grow buds?

Thanks

I have had mine under my 400MH 3-4 days from seed. just took playing with the height of my light but mine are great I started mine on may 1st.

criz

400 watts should do you just fine, but i imagine a 600 would be ok as well. I like about 2 weeks or so under the floros and then move them to the tent. For a few days I move them from floro to HID just to get them conditioned to the more intense light and toughen them a bit before going full tilt. Can't remeber where i picked up that advice, but it worked for me.

DEATHMETALSTONER said:
THE HEMP GODDESS----------

yes its a small closet (coat rack closet)......im guessing its 3.3 feet long 4.5 feet wide and 7 feet tall......

i have a fan circulating air and i blow out a bong hit in the closet for C02......

but yeah even if i do go with HPS lights....when is it time to switch them to it? and will it supply the plants with energy to grow buds?

Thanks

For a closet that size, you are probably going to want a 600W. A 400W is just not going to put out enough lumens for that space--you need about 75,000 lumens. You are going to have an intake and exhaust when you get more/better lighting. That single 80W fluoro is not going to do the job for very long--probably a couple of weeks. You are then going top need to get more fluoros and/or a HPS. And yes, a 600W will definately provide the plant with enough light to grow buds (if all other conditions are met. Heat is generally a problem regardless of what type of lighting you use. Start thinking about how you are going to deal with it.

You blow a bong hit in the closet for your own enjoyment :D. The CO2 you exhale is negligible. You need to exchange the air in your closet 3-4 times a minute to provide your plants withenough CO2.

The Hemp Goddess said:
For a closet that size, you are probably going to want a 600W. A 400W is just not going to put out enough lumens for that space--you need about 75,000 lumens. You are going to have an intake and exhaust when you get more/better lighting. That single 80W fluoro is not going to do the job for very long--probably a couple of weeks. You are then going top need to get more fluoros and/or a HPS. And yes, a 600W will definately provide the plant with enough light to grow buds (if all other conditions are met. Heat is generally a problem regardless of what type of lighting you use. Start thinking about how you are going to deal with it.

You blow a bong hit in the closet for your own enjoyment :D. The CO2 you exhale is negligible. You need to exchange the air in your closet 3-4 times a minute to provide your plants withenough CO2.

Thanks.....

yeah im most likely going to get a 600 watt HPS light for growing and a 400 wt MH for flowering.....

if i just keep the closet door open...will that be enough ventalation?

(I hav no possible way of
making anytype physical modifacations
to the closet for air circulation...)

thanks

i dont grow weed

Latest posts

Back