where I live (God help me)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saticus

Reaction score
An arrest for marijuana possession can haunt a person long after he or she has "paid his or her debt to society" and complied with all criminal penalties. This is particularly true in Florida where such "collateral consequences" are among the most severe in the country. For example, residents in the Sunshine State convicted of marijuana charges may lose their eligibility to:

Live in public housing,
Adopt a child or be a foster parent,
Vote,
Sit on juries,
Possess a firearm, or
Receive student financial aid
Those holding professional licenses, permits, or certifications can lose their very right to earn a living. Nursing, accounting, real estate, contracting and other licensing boards, for example, may revoke or suspend professional certifications and licenses based on drug convictions. Many government and private employers have blanket policies against hiring people with such convictions. In some cases one can also lose one’s driver’s license or have one’s driving privileges suspended.

Man thats harsh!!!

Glad I am a Canuck!!! We have penalties as well but I dont believe anywere neer that bad!!

Cheers!!!

Yea man I live in florida also and I find this stuff to be all to true. Where I used to live a friend couldn't get a job because he was convicted for having a few plants. He spent 6months in the local prison for I think 4-6 plants but I can't remember the exact total. Now he works construction with his dad cause his dad was the only one that hired him after his conviction.

I hate growing here personally. Every time you hear a siren or see cops outside your place you get paranoid. But gotta break a few rules if you ever wanna see change.

degenerative_disc said:
Man thats harsh!!!

Glad I am a Canuck!!! We have penalties as well but I dont believe anywere neer that bad!!

Cheers!!!

Your so lucky man. I'm half canadian and have family all throughout the providences and love going up their every time I can. Sux though the only place I don't have fam is in B.C. just my luck right. I'm still a little upset over the olympics but that was an amazing game and the canadian inside me was still happy afterwards lol so all in good sport.

Thanks us cunucks deserved the olympic successes we achieved! Lets face it they are the Winter games and you dont get Winter like us Canucks. Well I guess your Alaskins! Anyways not bragging or trying to rub it in but if its your culture you should do well. Just like a canadian Cricket team being but together. Its not realy our sport or background so we shouldnt do as well as the countries that have it as a main sport.

Cheers!!!

saticus said:
residents in the Sunshine State convicted of marijuana charges may lose their eligibility to:
Live in public housing,
Vote,
Sit on juries,
Possess a firearm, or

but you can still be a worthless drunk and retain all these privileges... even if you kill someone in a DWI...

if i'm wrong, please let me know. i would love to hear it.

:eek: Oh Oh i just remembered its against the rules to talk about sport here!!
Sorry Hick Sorry!!!

I stopped right now, as i run from the lightning bolts decending from the clouds!!!

Cheers!!!

saticus said:
An arrest for marijuana possession can haunt a person long after he or she has "paid his or her debt to society" and complied with all criminal penalties. This is particularly true in Florida where such "collateral consequences" are among the most severe in the country. For example, residents in the Sunshine State convicted of marijuana charges may lose their eligibility to:
Live in public housing,
Vote,
Sit on juries,
Possess a firearm, or
Those holding professional licenses, permits, or certifications can lose their very right to earn a living. Nursing, accounting, real estate, contracting and other licensing boards, for example, may revoke or suspend professional certifications and licenses based on drug convictions. Many government and private employers have blanket policies against hiring people with such convictions. In some cases one can also lose one’s driver’s license or have one’s driving privileges suspended.

ALL the same consequences apply in the state of TX as well.
A MJ conviction is an automatic drivers license suspension for six mo. and you can't get auto ins for two yrs after that unless you file a SR22(?) form which of course costs more as well.....

HOWEVER - Many TX felons don't realize that you do not permanently loose your right to vote.... ONLY while on probation or parole. Once your sentence is over, you can legally vote again. I didn't learn this until ten yrs after I had completed my probation.

Do your own research for your state.

greenfriend said:
jeeeeeez, to someone living in Oakland, smoking weed in Florida sounds as hard as having a beer in Saudi Arabia

It's not so much hard to get cause i'm never out and that stuff gets boated over all the time, it's more if the police do catch you with it your screwed or at least in a bad situation. Doesn't matter if your a small time grower or Pablo Escobar your getting treated the same way.

I hate to say this....but the people of your state are going to have to change things...tell your senators, and congressmen what you expect of them...

You could move...or you could stand up for what you believe in and be a part of the change. It has to change...because it's unjust and every intelligent person that thinks about it for 20 seconds knows how unjust it is.

keep your head down...I bet we see some real change on this in the next 10 yrs....Tax payers are going to get sick of feeding and housing nonviolent drug offenders...I mean come on...lose your Social Security, or house non violent drug offenders (who by the way have free health care that you pay for)...but we are the ones that have to speak out.

wow very harsh for a minor crime per the government.

I have joined a group trying to legalize medical mj here (I don't know if I'm allowed to mention the name or not) and hopefully we can change these stupid laws. Just last night, on channel 9 news, the attorney general said the current laws were too harsh and should be reviewed. I cannot sit idly by and watch my wife deteriorate knowing there is a medicine out there that will help her and countless others like her. I read and hear the stories and my heart breaks. How can our congressional leaders, both state and federal, be so cruel? It makes me so angry I could just spit!

The South is full of Old Cantakerous Bible Thupping Farts who will never allow Pot to become legal. Untill all the old *** Politians are out of office,,NOTHING will change in the South.:rolleyes:

WeedHopper said:
The South is full of Old Cantakerous Bible Thupping Farts who will never allow Pot to become legal. Untill all the old *** Politians are out of office,,NOTHING will change in the South.:rolleyes:

I'd hate to say ur right but that's the way things are looking. But who knows man things are slowly changing around here. We were a blue state for the first time in a long time this past election. I don't want to get into politics though as it is against the rules anyway. We need someone fresh and new into office but so many old people live here that don't want change to begin with. It's a vicious cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back