Which brand magnifier or microscope do you use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Child

Reaction score
I am interested in getting a field magnifier/microscope to harvest my outdoor plants. What is the minimum magnification that is need to see trich's? All info is much appreciated.

Hello MJ Child...

It seems to be a matter of personal preference... I like the 20x - 30x range of magnification for observing trichs and I prefer the hand held microscopes. Some growers seem to prefer a jeweler's loupe and some even add the loupe to the front of their lense and use their camera's magnifying powers to view and take pics of their trichs.

The hand held 20-30x models allow me to see enough in one focus to estimate % of clear/cloudy/amber... Radio Shack might be your closest source they have a decent, cheap small model that a lot of people use and like. I have one of those (pic 1) but I prefer models like pic 2 better.... they are about 30% longer and that makes it easier for me to hold and focus with one hand while I hold the specimen with the other.

Happy Growing!:cool:

RadioShackMicro.jpg

30xmicroscope.jpg

Thanks for the input, dirtyolsouth. the one you have is it illuminated? and does the sun or cloudy skies change how you see the trichs?

MJ Child said:
Thanks for the input, dirtyolsouth. the one you have is it illuminated? and does the sun or cloudy skies change how you see the trichs?

Hi...

No worries... Glad to help... But I'm actually an indoor grower! ;) I would think that outdoor daylight would be the best light to look at trichs under but someone else will come along that is an outdoor grower before long. Both of these style models are illuminated and use AAA batteries... The long one sells for 8.35 online on Amazon and the Radio Shack model is about $12... so if it's easier to order one, look online and you can get one shipped to your door for close to the same cost as going to Radio Shack... just not immediate gratification.

You know the drill... change the XX to tt...

hXXp://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2179604

hXXp://www.amazon.com/Great-Wall-Optical-LTD-Illuminated/dp/B000OVHVVQ

Happy harvesting!:cool:

I use an antique, a swivel-out eyepiece that has two lenses mounted in it. The name on it says "Ruper" and on the other side it has, get this: "Made in occupied Japan". It's 25x and just about gets the job done.

Latest posts

Back