who flowers with T5's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebud

Has anyone given up the big HPS in favor of T5's for flowering? Do you just change the bulbs to the flowering spectrum? What are the results?

Thanks for any input.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I didn't notice the other day someone mentioning that they changed to all T5's and they enjoy it. You just have to have like 4-5 for your canopy to get proper penetration :confused2: We all know I'm still quite new so that leaves me slightly clueless. :D

I tried it a while back(was waiting for extra HPS lites to show up), ran 6 bulb T5HO....with bloom bulbs.

Stretched a ton, buds were very loose...smoke fine, but lower yield & density for me. The other problem is heat, ducted lites are easier to control temps.
JMHO

WeedHopper used them before he switched to hps

I do....I've recently switched over...I've replaced my 1000w hps with 3--4bulb set-ups...12 HO T5's....plants love it...lower growth exploded with growth....with this heat wave temps are much lower..86' with lights on...I really don't see a reason to go back...my lumen output is higher with these 12 then the one 1000...and that's all that matters along with color spectrum....roughly 12 days since the switch and only thing different is the pistils all of a sudden exploding on the lower growth....a sign of better light penetration

I started out with T5 in flower but phased it out as I got better all around results with HPS in my setup. Still use them for veg though :)

JAAM has had pretty good success with flowering with HO T5's I believe, that being said I don't think he has given up on HPS for flowering. I wouldn't expect better results than an HPS but not awful if you put enough lumens in there. I personally don't buy them having better penetration than an HPS.

Other then a tradeoff of heat I just dont see any practical reason to switch to t5's for blooming unless you ONLY have t5's atm, then by all means some bud is better then none.

Thank you peeps. I was just interested to see if anyone has had good results. I will be going back in my grow room in October and was thinking ahead about the heat next summer.

hamster, i agree with you about the penetration, seem like nothing can do what hps do.

Buddogmut you will have to keep us informed how they compare at harvest if you would, that would be great. Thank you.

after reading up on t5s I am wondering if they work just as good if not better the MH, HPS the four foot t5s put out 40,000 lumes and you can get the bulbs in veg spectrum or bloom spectrum of mix for full spectrum sounds impressive. mostly cause I read on here somewhere that the amount of lumes has alot to do with how the plant produces .If I remember correctly 35,000 lumes are required for a decent grow start to finish. does any have the actull facts on how many lumes are required ?

skullcandy said:
after reading up on t5s I am wondering if they work just as good if not better the MH, HPS the four foot t5s put out 40,000 lumes and you can get the bulbs in veg spectrum or bloom spectrum of mix for full spectrum sounds impressive. mostly cause I read on here somewhere that the amount of lumes has alot to do with how the plant produces .If I remember correctly 35,000 lumes are required for a decent grow start to finish. does any have the actull facts on how many lumes are required ?

after reading up on t5s I am wondering if they work just as good if not better the MH, HPS the four foot t5s put out 40,000 lumes and you can get the bulbs in veg spectrum or bloom spectrum of mix for full spectrum sounds impressive.

The highest lumen output I have been able to find for an HO T5 bulb is 7000 initial lumens. So four of them gets you to 28,000 lumens. The ones I use are 5000 lumens a bulb I believe.

mostly cause I read on here somewhere that the amount of lumes has alot to do with how the plant produces .If I remember correctly 35,000 lumes are required for a decent grow start to finish. does any have the actull facts on how many lumes are required ?

Yes lumens are a big part but not everything. How many lumens you need is dependent on how big your grow space is. You need minimums of:

3000 lumens per square foot for veg and 5000 lumens per square foot for flower. I like to get at least 7500 lumens per square foot in flower.

35,000 lumens in flower would only be good for 7 square feet of grow space in flower.

And I'm running 3 ..4-bulb set-ups...12 bulbs total...time will tell..you know I'll post pics...first wave really won't tell. But the second wave will have all their 12/12 time on the t's...those will be the plants to see the effects...first wave too close to being finish...

buddogmutt said:
my lumen output is higher with these 12 then the one 1000..

I'm confused about this.
12 builds total.
12x5000=60,000
12x7000=84,000
54 watts per bulb x 12 = 648 watts total

Your 1000 should be putting out 140,000
And a 600 puts out 90,000-95,000

I'm not nocking t5s at all cuz I use them n love them for veg.
Heat wise t5s will win. But proper venting n a air cooked hood will do just the same.
LH

LEFTHAND said:
I'm confused about this.
12 builds total.
12x5000=60,000
12x7000=84,000
54 watts per bulb x 12 = 648 watts total

Your 1000 should be putting out 140,000
And a 600 puts out 90,000-95,000

I'm not nocking t5s at all cuz I use them n love them for veg.
Heat wise t5s will win. But proper venting n a air cooked hood will do just the same.
LH

I will take HO T5's all day for veg...flower only in a pinch or if I am bored.

And yeah, I think the cheap 1000 bulbs put out 130,000 and the better bulbs 140-145,000.

I'm right beside you hammy. T5s veggie
But still at 130 000 that's what 40k lost.
I can't see how this would be better or people think.
Yes it's in spectrum n usable lumens but intensity also plays a roll
Well you know that ;)

At them watts n those lumens it be better to run a single 600

LH

you mentened 140,000 lumes I am guessing thats what put out by HPS or MH lights thats alot of light

skullcandy said:
you mentened 140,000 lumes I am guessing thats what put out by HPS or MH lights thats alot of light

Yes the cheap 1000W bulbs are 130,000. The next step up is like 140,000 and the highest I saw on 1000bulbs.com was 145,000. I would still run two 600's over a 1000 any day, everyday. You get more bang for your buck watt to lumen wise and you get to split your set up and spread the light way better.

i have a high output super hps thats 150,000 lumens

Hamster Lewis said:
Yes the cheap 1000W bulbs are 130,000. The next step up is like 140,000 and the highest I saw on 1000bulbs.com was 145,000. I would still run two 600's over a 1000 any day, everyday. You get more bang for your buck watt to lumen wise and you get to split your set up and spread the light way better.

Zackly.i did this in my 2x4 ran a 600 and 400. Dialed 600 down to 400. I'm in a 4x4 now. Running 2 600's n I like its lot better.
LH

N.E.wguy said:
i have a high output super hps thats 150,000 lumens

I use to buy those bulbs. But in 400/600.
I bought my self a light meter n in no time does those "extra" lumens dissipate down.
I liked it when I vegged under the hps. But like most will say. They would rather buy 2-3 decent to cheap bulbs gut the price of one of them.
Now I'm one of them. Generally spending 20-40 on a bulb.
LH.

Latest posts

Back