wich light for new box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dman1234

Hello, i have a 400w hps/mh doing well, i want to add a veg box and i hear a lot of t5 talk what about t8 t12 are they any good, if my box is 4ft high by 18inch deep and 3 feet long what would you suggest.

can i use one fixture with 2 3ft bulbs if so how powerful should they be

T5s are high output and a bit more money than T8 or 12. However, I think that any of these would do you just fine for vegging. I use a 4'4 tube T5 in a 4 x 2 x 4' space and it works great.

T5 T8 T12 are just different size flourescent bulbs.

Let's stick with 4 fout size.

T12 was the normal all purpose bulb. 40 watt.

T8 came out to replace the T12 for energy conserving, it fits the same t12 socket but is a smaller bulb and runs at 32 watts. Both are standard bulbs you can pick up at the local hardware store now.

T5 is the newest thing, they are 54 watt high output bulbs. You will have to order from the net to get them. They are the same size as a CFL except a straight tube instead of curled up. They need a new socket. They are pretty bright.

4 T5 bulbs are pretty bright and should do however many plants will fit under it.

I would suggest making your box a foot longer so you could fit 4 foot fixtures in it long ways. If you are vegging you could go with any of the above bulbs and be ok. If you want convenience I'd use 4 t12 or t8 bulbs, if you want to save energy I'd run 2 bulbs.

Same with T5 bulbs. With T5 bulbs 2 would be alright, 3 is about perfect and 4 is almost too bright. that's how I rate them from experience.

et us know what you think.

Latest posts

Back