Will tomatoes under 12/12 Veg, Flower, and Fruit??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prodigious Puff

!Prodigious!
Reaction score
Will tomatoes veg, flower, pollinate, and fruit under a constant 600 Watts of 12/12 light?

Better yet, would it work if I grew them with a photoperiod similar to MJ? i.e. vegged under 18/6 for a month and then flowered/fruited under 12/12 for however long it took.

TomatoPassion.com would be helpful. Does anyone know of a good Tomato Forum? I've searched Google, but have not found the MarPas of tomatoes. Thank you all.

yes they will...tamatoe plants are great to learn indoor growing...They are simular to the canabis plant....Do some your self and see...I tried to google " Tomato passion " as well a while back...but that was in a fun thread..lol

Good luck with this...keep us posted

take care and be safe

Thank you for the reply! I just bought some Determinate Cherry Tomatoes and some Determinate Bush Steak Hybrids, should be a blast.

Don't want to be a PITA, but what about my other question. Do you think the tomato plants will miss a beat if I grow them with a month of 18/6 and then switch to 12/12??

Sounds like a journal is in the order.

That's actually something I was also worried about. If they're similar....will the tomatoes pollinate MJ?? I know it has something to do with chromosome content etc. but further than that I am clueless....sounds a bit farfetched (like a dog making offspring with a cat) but in this world you never know.

Prodigious Puff said:
That's actually something I was also worried about. If they're similar....will the tomatoes pollinate MJ?? I know it has something to do with chromosome content etc. but further than that I am clueless....sounds a bit farfetched (like a dog making offspring with a cat) but in this world you never know.

Papabeach1 stated he has seen & tatsed Mj tasting Tomatos and me & 4U2smoke want some.lol

Yeah! I saw that thread....mmmm MJ Maters, sounds delicious. I was thinking though. When (and if) I get MJ and tomatoes in my room I will have no male cannabis plants in my room SO no way to pollinate the tomatoes, and thus, get "MJ tomatoes." BUT there will be tomato pollen floating around and I certainly wouldn't want to pollinate the cannabis with tomato pollen (although I do not think it's possible/feasible). Couple more weeks or so and I think I'll have tomatoes going...very excited.

So do you have a canabis plant growing? and is it Female?...also what Tomatos are you growing?..Ill help you my friend

I harvested about three months ago. So, right now I have no plants growing at all. However, I am remodeling my room and am almost done so I would like to have my MJ crop going along with some tomatoes. SO, if possible I would like to have flowering MJ females (obviously) in the same flower room as my tomatoes.

Since I have no MJ or tomato clones, I am growing both from seed (thus the reason why I wanted to know if growing tomatoes under 18/6 for a month and then switching to 12/12 would work. Then I could just grow them both side by side the whole way through...EASY!)

I purchased one pack of determinate Cherry Tomatoes and one pack of Determinate Bush Steak Hybrids. I have one 3x3 Ebb and Flow Tray under a 600 watt HPS to devote to the tomatoes. As stated earlier these strains are determinate, so they stay relatively small. That said, I was going to try and do 9 tomato plants in the 3'x3' tray. Does all of this sound feasible? Thank you for your help everyone.

I will try and help...first I would like to say for those that are lurking around and are wanting to learn to grow MJ indoors that the "Tomato" plant is the best to lern.with...If you can grow a tomato plant than you can grow MJ..

IMO..you can grow them both togather but would be concerned about hieght growth difreance..I started my tomato plants early this year in my grow room..shocked them when put outside...but the Mj plant was a bit Larger then Tomato plant..may want to Look into "LST"....

Tomatos will need longer veg then 12/12 from seed..I just dont know how much..

sorry but you cant breed them togather..try "Grafting"

Run with this my friend...I will fallow along..I love to try new stuff...

Take Care and Be Safe

I am doing indoor grow of Tomato's and have 5 going on and I am under 14/10 400 watt MH and the oldest Old tyime plant is already flowering and there about 7 flowers so I will have some Juicey Tomato's by Thanksgiving I hopen for..;) The size of the Plant right now is about 12 inches..

I also did a grow of tomato and MJ together when I did the first grow of MJ and I can say that the Tomato's pollin won't hurt the MJ at all I don't think at least I didn't notice anything. But that was under CFL'S, but I didn't get that much Tomato's and the size was small small instead of being BIG.
so hopen this time the Tomato's get BIG..;)

Tomatoes do not rely upon a photoperiod for signaling the time to reproduce. It doesn't matter the light timing, though I will say tomatoes are light-hungry plants (note the broad leaves) so give em all the light they want with at least a 7 hour period of darkness.

My tomato plants cowered at the indoor lights. They didn't like it and it was far too intense.

Dozingoffaroundthecorner said:
My tomato plants cowered at the indoor lights. They didn't like it and it was far too intense.

That's *REALLY* strange since tomatoes are a full-sun heat-loving plant. I've got one growing right now :)

I kept it about fifteen centimeters from the tops and when they sprouted they cowered. I put them outside and they were just fine. If you go to a hydroponic store and see their tomato plants they have the lights in an open room about sixty plus centimeters from the top. Marijuana requires a lot of light for some reason. Anyways I just know from my grow that my tomatoes did not like the lights so close.

I am not at the fruiting stage yet but they don't sex. They are both male and female plants.

They do not produce that much foliage either from my experience but this is my first time to grow them. It's kind of sparse because their fruit buds need room to grow and receive light. The tomatoes that I am working with are heirloom though and supposedly at their best they get to be about a kilo. I think because MJ has extensive branching and foliage that it needs much more light.

Latest posts

Back