Worm's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFan

Days of Wine and....Roses
Reaction score
This applies only to people in the Eastern U.S. Worms Way is a hydro store with 6 locations in the Eastern United States.

Well, I've finally broken down and decided to upgrade my set up a bit and I'm planning to visit a Worm's Way location to do some shopping.

Anyone have any experience with this company? Prices?

Thanks all!

Hi BBfan,

Howgoezit? We have a Worm's Way around here and I'm not impressed. First... that cute worm logo annoys the hell outta me! :p It could be a great store so I suppose it depends on who's running it but overall it seems to be a faceless corporately-owned chain that gives little control over operations to the people running the place. Maybe your location is a good one? There's a different face at the counter all the time and the guys working there don't seem to want to be there too much for the most part and most of them seem very newbie when it comes to growing from what little they say on a subject or what they are selling.

We also have an indoor gardening/hydro store that is locally owned and operated and it's day and night how much more happening that store is. The owner is always there and everyone that works there is very knowledgeable. When it comes to prices EVERYTHING at WW is more expensive. Everything is at least a few dollars more and they don't have the latitude to match any prices if you mention you can get it across town for less. The other store will always match a price if they don't lose money on the transaction.

Also... WW seems to run out of something and they don't get it restocked forever. When I've wanted something specific that I've bought there before and only they carry it and they are out of stock I've asked when they'll get more in or if they can order it and I usually get a 'maybe' and a blank stare. :confused: followed by an "I'm not sure..." or a "we COULD do that..." but then they'll want the cash up front and they know you don't want to give them your info so... it's an awkward moment and I blow it off and have the store across town order it for me. The good local shop builds a history with customers and I know the owner on a first name basis... I can ask when I'm there or call up the owner and tell him I need something and he'll have it in usually in a day or two as they get all their stuff from a large garden wholesaler who has distribution locally and can drive over and pick up 80% of anything gardening/hydro there and they ship in the rest. Also, I always pay cash and when I want to get something that's over budget I've seen the owner let me take the item(s) and pay him the next time I'm in and he'll make a note of the amount I owe on my receipt...

The ONE positive about WW for me is they're open Sundays when the other store is closed. I'll pay a few bucks more if there's something I need to pick up right away or if I only have time to deal with it on a Sunday.

Peace!:cool:

Hey DOS- Doing good- hows bout you?

Thanks for the info- (is there anything you don't know?). Unfortunately I'm in an area where I don't have alot of options. It's either order on-line or go to Worm's Way. There really aren't a lot of shops around my neck of the woods. I've never been to Worm's Way, so I guess I'll just check it out. Thanks for the input, I'll keep my eyes open. (Hopefully no one will follow me home ;) ).

Sorry for bringing up the painful image of the worm logo. Hope you're over it.

Yup... Even with all the neg impressions I still shop there sometimes because they do carry a lot of stuff and sometimes carry items or nutes the other store in town doesn't. Dr pyro must live where someone is running the place decently. If it's your only store you'll probably think it's pretty happening and hopefully your location is well run. I guess it's kinda like when you have a great mom and pop business of ANY kind in your area and then a chain offering the same thing but there's no 'soul' in what they do... Ya know... your favorite local pizza or burger joint vs Dominoe's or McD's...

Hopefully your local WW will have what you're looking for and it will save you from having to do everything mail order. I don't remember if you grow in soil but if you do at least now you have a place you can drive to and buy quality soil mixes and any amendments you'd like to add OR if you're considering anything like a carbon filter that would KILL you if you ordered it online with shipping costs.

Good luck... let us know how it works out!

Happy Shopping!:cool:

BBFan said:
Hey DOS- Doing good- hows bout you?

Thanks for the info- (is there anything you don't know?). Unfortunately I'm in an area where I don't have alot of options. It's either order on-line or go to Worm's Way. There really aren't a lot of shops around my neck of the woods. I've never been to Worm's Way, so I guess I'll just check it out. Thanks for the input, I'll keep my eyes open. (Hopefully no one will follow me home ;) ).

Sorry for bringing up the painful image of the worm logo. Hope you're over it.

the nashville Tn.(rivergate) location is great!...lots of sleepy eyed dudes there with lots of setup advice..they're always trying to sell me nutes to make my "tomatos" bigger and better tasting..you might want to buy your lights elsewhere if possible as their prices on lighting are outragous

i go there all the time, they have great advice to give about hydro and they are always stocked on the nutes i need, pricing is competitive.

I used to live up in New England and the options were slim. Worms way was my primary option for 5+ years. After developing a "distant" but working repoir with them I found a few people working there actually informative. They're anti-marijuana so conversation is limited. They had most everything I needed but Dirty has a point - a few times they simply stopped carrying products. When I asked why it typically had to do with the companies support of marijuana. No kidding! They always kept they're soil indoors and have allot of options none-the-less. Best of luck.......

There's a Worms that's been over on the coast for years and if they were anti-MJ they would have to gone into the fishbait biz.

Like DOS says--my local guys are far more knowledgable and friendly. They also know how to discuss what we do without ever saying the bad words. And they're cheaper than Worms.

BUT Worms beats hell outta Wham Depot.

Latest posts

Back