Would you say most of you guys on this site are considered hippies in a way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KBA in CT

Timmy!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Idk just wondering, thinking abot random stuff.......no wonder why i am?

Hmmmm...I don't know. I am pretty laid back. But I look more like the surburban soccer mom then a hippy. Plus I shave and take baths often. Don't hippies lack in that dept? :D

Hippies were before my time.. I am a modern suburbian. :cool:

hippy take'n from wiki

A hippie (sometimes spelled hippy) is a member of a subgroup of the counterculture that began in the United States during the early 1960s. Hippies became an established social group by 1965 and expanded to other countries before declining in the mid-1970s.Hippies, along with the New Left and the American Civil Rights Movement, are considered the three dissenting groups of the 1960s counterculture.

Originally, hippies were part of a youth movement composed mostly of white teenagers and young adults, between the ages of 15 and 25 years old, who inherited a tradition of cultural dissent from the earlier Bohemians and the beatniks.Hippies rejected established institutions, criticized middle class values, opposed nuclear weapons, opposed the Vietnam War, embraced aspects of Eastern religions, championed sexual liberation, were often vegetarian and eco-friendly, promoted the use of psychedelic drugs to expand one's consciousness, and created intentional communities or communes. They used alternative arts, street theatre, folk music, and psychedelic rock as a part of their lifestyle and as a way of expressing their feelings, their protests and their vision of the world and life. Hippies opposed political and social orthodoxy, choosing a gentle and nondoctrinaire ideology that favored peace, love and personal freedom,perhaps best epitomized by The Beatles' song "All You Need is Love". They perceived the dominant culture as a corrupt, monolithic entity that exercised undue power over their lives, calling this culture "The Establishment", "Big Brother", or "The Man".Noting that they were "seekers of meaning and value," scholars like Timothy Miller describe hippies as a new religious movement.

After 1965, the hippie ethos influenced The Beatles and others in the United Kingdom and Europe, and they in turn influenced their American counterparts. By 1968, self-described hippies had become a significant minority, representing just under 0.2% of the U.S. population.Hippie culture spread worldwide through a fusion of rock music, folk, blues, and psychedelic rock; it also found expression in literature, the dramatic arts, fashion, and the visual arts, including film, posters advertising rock concerts, and album covers. Eventually the hippie movement extended far beyond the United States, the United Kingdom and Europe, appearing in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Mexico, Brazil and many other countries.

guess that makes me a hippy:)

Hmmmmm....that is a very interesting question.

and there are many interpretations of what a hippie is. I happen to believe they are simply people "in the know", rejecting the conscious reality that society inflicts on them.

Despite what the wiki says, the counter cultre actually started in the late 50's with the Beat Generation. Many of that generation remained central to the movement throughout the 60's. Like the beats, hippies rejected the boredom of the 50's consumer society.offering an alternative to the idea of living in identical suburbs, sleeping in twin beds, driving virtually identical cars and watching mind numbing sitcoms.

contradictory to what later became known as the "straight society" whom went to church, satisfied that they were the moral guardians of the world in their fight against godless communism.

More importantly...why were/are the "hippies" important?

I believe that only by stepping outside society that people are able to look at it objectively - to see what was wrong with it, to see how they'd like to change it.

Simply put....they effect change in peoples consciousness.

allgrownup said:
I happen to believe they are simply people "in the know", rejecting the conscious reality that society inflicts on them.

that makes 2 of us;)

Guess I may have hippy inclinations, Freedom of speech, Love not War, I sometimes see myself as an old Grandmother tending my little garden full of weeds lol, Having an open door to all who pass. Sending out a message something like, Artfans home of peace Love and not forgetting the God given Herb. (think im waffling here just had a blast on some nice blueberry)
Peace
Artfan
Ps a hippy atvar

P9270034xmas5.jpg

In some ways I am completely opposite of a hippie
-I shower every day
-I am higher up in the tax bracket
-I race motorcoss
-My hobbies include wakeboarding and rc cars,
-I own many name brand things
-I have a police record from fighting (though I have renounced inapropriate fighting 3 months ago)
-I buy mostly name brand stuff

On the other hand:
-I recycle
-I love nature
-I don't shave my armpits (thou I am a guy)
-I buy organic foods
-I hate littering
-I am very health conscious

I'd say I am definately not a hippie but I have a few hippie overtones in my personality and ways of living.

don't resort to thinking outside the box........... demand a larger box to live within.

peace

I was born in 1950, graduated high school in '68. I was raised into a hippie, my folks were always the cool parents, threw their cook-outs every Saturday nite with all the other young couples. Things were always happening around our house. As soon as I could I moved out on my own, then got into trouble with Leo and was forced into the Army. It took me several years to shake off the warping that that whole trial of being molded by the govt. I think I finally returned to my old hippie self at about the age of 40, let my hair grow out and have kept it since (except for that bare patch (solar sex cell))...

Peace...j.b.

I havent seen, heard of or been a hippie in bell bottoms since the 70's.

Latest posts

Back