yellow leaves, total newb here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hico

Reaction score
I was hoping someone can tell me whats going on with these plants becuase everything I do seems to make it worse.

Two plants started out in planting pots using miracle grow soil. I moved the smallest one to a hydro unit, willing to sacrifice it to test my skills and learn basically. The larger one was a very fast grower, hit 1 ft in just a couple weeks then slowed way down. It started growing again and I decided to leave it in the soil. However now that its cool out they cant really stay outside anymore.

the hydro consists of moondust nutrient and distilled water. The soil was left alone but I have used a foliar on it and that seems to mildly slow the yellowing leaves. I didnt realize it was a mistake to pluck all the bright yellow leaves off until I came here so its missing a good deal that already turned. I thought line prunning a bush, its bad to leave the dead or dying behind.

Anyhow, more and more are turning yellow and I cant figure out if its heat, lack or too much light, is it lacking nitrogen like I read here for others, or is it in need of co2 or something ?

I also hear people telling others to flush , flush, flush , I cant find any info on what flushing is or how to do it, but does that even apply to soil ?

heres some pics thanks

211.JPG

213.JPG

215.JPG

Firstly, check the ph on your current MG soil run-off. Aim for a nice neutral 7.0 ph level. Second, I'd transplant them out of their current MG container soil and move to either BLACK GOLD amended with LillyMiller's Super or Soil Sweet (this is Nitrogen-enriched dolomite lime, helps balance ph level), wormcastings, and lastly some Perlite for some added root aeration. If I were you, I'd stay away from the whole hydro scene until you've got soil down like a pro, no offense, just taker easy a bit...Now,if you don't want to mess with amending your own soil, I'd go with a noce stable premix such as FoxFarmsOceanForest, really good stuff and your girls will love you for it. Take care and keeper Green...

I've found MG time release to release the nutes inconsistently and too hot but that's just MAO.

well buddy i must say the sett up (other than the size of pots) is pretty good.
have u stated to feed your babys yet?? if not, this could be a reason. i all so wants to jumb in to a hydro system but i am just a rookie, an am working on my first plants on soil so the hydro will have to wate.

FLUSHING, flushing means to over water your plant, like as much as 4 times the amount u usly water with. flushing is done atlest once a week. (when giving nuits to your plant) when starting out with feeding make your mix 1/4 power of what the respie state. i am doing it like this, feed, water, water, feed, flush water, water feed. an so on. JMO

I started up a DWC for a friend who has never touched a plant and he has been very successful. DWC is easy, productive, and great to start with..IMO

I water every two days or so using the finger test in the soil. The hps light tends to dry out the soil a little faster than it used to in the sun but with the light on 24/7 id expect that.

The heat was a bit much but I added some more intake and exhaust and that seems to have taken care of it. Do I need to be concerned with adding co2 or something I missed?

The smaller plant, in the hydro, is suffering from slightly different issues with yellowing wilting and brown leaves but im sure it was also stressed being moved from the pot to the hydro. Should it be on just distilled water for now and remove all the nutrients until its the size of the larger one?

ph is very low in the hydro and the plant soil (6-6.2) , what should i do to raise it?

I purchased PH up and down today. I got my water from 5.1 to 6.1 with just a few drops. Go slow and measure after each drop or two.

Wiseguy_Chef said:
flushing is done atlest once a week. (when giving nuits to your plant) when starting out with feeding make your mix 1/4 power of what the respie state. i am doing it like this, feed, water, water, feed, flush water, water feed. an so on.

Are you sure you have to flush once every week? I think that is just causing way too much stress on the plant. I just mix my nutes in a relatively lower does than what is recommended with my water and water it regularly. You don't have to flush so often.

Hico said:
I was hoping someone can tell me whats going on with these plants becuase everything I do seems to make it worse.

Those plants could have become root bound in the soil. Those containers look kind of small.

surely it cant be a flushing issue, the hydro is 2 days old and these symptoms predate that. Besides the most affected plant is the one in the pot, not the hydro.

Ok so far someone said to put it another pot with worm castings or blackgold soil, test and raise the ph. Should that alone do it ? Is this not a nitrogen problem when the leaves turn yellow and whitesh ? I had a hard time determining whats key since so many of the symptoms in the faq on the forum are similar, ie iron, nitrogen, magnesium. Is the fix for them all the same?

thanks again everyone, I greatly appreciate it

i grow in soil. fush evey saturday, an feed on sundays. at full stranth now.

Wiseguy_Chef said:
i grow in soil. fush evey saturday, an feed on sundays. at full stranth now.

How do you flush one day and then "feed" the next? You mean nutrients?

If your growing in soil you want your PH run off to be 6.5.

With a PH of 7 you are experiencing nutrient lockout.

2 PH chart Jpeg..JPG

HippyInEngland said:

HIE Do you Flush the plant with water to unlock Nutrient Lockout??

Merry Christmas:hubba:

HippyInEngland said:

One more ? ---if your ph is 6.0 to 6.2 does that harm anything??

i flush satruday to wash out the roots from the weeks feeding, usly 2 a week at 3/4 stranth. i get a 3 gallon bucket an fallow the respie for 2 gallon's. they are loveing it. all thow one is still a little low in the N with some yellowing leafs near the bottem. all my ph reading in soil are at 6.5. the run off when feeding comes out at about 6.3-6.4. my system seams to work for me. but this is jmo.

form what i have read i think 6.3-6.8 is the best. i am sure they are fine if they don't drop below 6.0, in soil. hydro i belive has a lower Ph requrement.

Wiseguy_Chef said:
form what i have read i think 6.3-6.8 is the best. i am sure they are fine if they don't drop below 6.0, in soil. hydro i belive has a lower Ph requrement.

Chef what happens if your ph is 6.0 or below

Latest posts

Back