Yet another ventilation q

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willowgrow

Reaction score
Ok so im currently prepping a new room for a new grow. I will be growing in a 4'x5' closet that is about 8' tall. I have a 600w HTG HPS w/ cooltube and two 150w 20$ HPS to supplement for flowering. Im trying to figure out my ventilation, and this is what i've come up w/ so far:

Have a dryer hose connected to one end of the cooltube, pulling air through the light. I have a 4" 65cfm canfan doing that. The 4" will be connected to a carbon scrubber, which will have a dryer hose connected to the other end which will lead to a 6" 160 cfm located on the floor, exhasting to the room below.

So: light-->4"can-->scrubber-->6"fan-->outside

Will this work? I know my fans are a lil weak, my next upgrade to the room will be a vortex; but is this feasible for now? The room currently sits at 84-89F with no exhast & with the door open (i just a a few seedlings vegging in there atm)

Thanks!

Do you have an intake?

The 65 cfm fan in the same line as the 160cfm fan is not helping your air movement, if anything it is doing the contrary. But all in all if your temps are good and you've got some air movement in there you should be fine.

When you get a new fan I'm pretty sure you want to shoot for replacing the full volume of air every 15 min. With a 160 cubic foot room that would be 640cfm, so you should be looking for a fan with at least a 500 cfm rating.

Yah i plan on cutting a hole in the floor and putting in a register to serve as a passive air intake, i forgot to add that tidbit. The 4" fan is merely pulling air through my light to cool it, and push it to the carbon scrubber. Wouldn't the 4" fan help 'boost' the 6" fan? And with a 160 CF room, and a 160cfm rated fan (i know there are restrictions with the hosing and the scrubber etc.) wouldn't i be replacing the air roughly every min? which is acceptable? I think you may have done your math wrong; im not sure where you got the 640 at. But who knows, im horrible at math too lol..

willowgrow said:
Yah i plan on cutting a hole in the floor and putting in a register to serve as a passive air intake, i forgot to add that tidbit. The 4" fan is merely pulling air through my light to cool it, and push it to the carbon scrubber. Wouldn't the 4" fan help 'boost' the 6" fan? And with a 160 CF room, and a 160cfm rated fan (i know there are restrictions with the hosing and the scrubber etc.) wouldn't i be replacing the air roughly every min? which is acceptable? I think you may have done your math wrong; im not sure where you got the 640 at. But who knows, im horrible at math too lol..

No the 4" fan is hindering the 6" fan--if the 4" is in front of the 6" and only pushing 65 cfm, that is all the air the 6" is getting. I would go to 6" ducting and use only the 6" fan. The 4" could be used as an auxilary input.

I like to exchange the air in my room 3-4 times a minutes. I have a room just a little smaller than yours and I am running a 6" 449 cfm vortex and a 160 cfm and 220 cfm exhaust fan in my space.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I like to exchange the air in my room 3-4 times a minutes.

I'm sure you meant hour here THG. Either way willowgrow she is one of the members you should be taking advice from as she has contributed to what I have learned over the past year. But I think we're both saying basically the same thing about wanting to change the air in your room every 15 min or so and to take that 65cfm fan out of that line.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No the 4" fan is hindering the 6" fan--if the 4" is in front of the 6" and only pushing 65 cfm, that is all the air the 6" is getting. I would go to 6" ducting and use only the 6" fan. The 4" could be used as an auxilary input.

I like to exchange the air in my room 3-4 times a minutes. I have a room just a little smaller than yours and I am running a 6" 449 cfm vortex and a 160 cfm and 220 cfm exhaust fan in my space.

So how do you have 3 seperate exhast points? Or how do you encorporate all 3 into your exhast? I'm basically trying to cool my light/room, remove the smell, and exhast all in one line. Are you using a carbon filter?

you might have to rethink about using fans of different sizes...
if your 4 inch feeds the 6 inch...then all the 6 inch gets is the MAX amt. of air that the 4 inch can provide...not enough!...if your 6 inch pushes to the 4 inch, it won't matter cuz the 4" can only do so much...

If you splurge on a new fan, you can use a 4 inch to cool the lights, a 4 inch for intake, and your 6 inch for exhuast...

that way the air exchange happens pretty frequently..If you have three venting ports, that's all you need! one for the light...one for intake...one for exhuast...

hope I didn't ramble or bore ya with stuff you already thought of!
good luck!

You want to exchange the air in your room 3-4 times a minute. The vortex is connected to the light (soon to be 2 lights). One of the other fans just exhausts air out of the room, the other is used as an inlet fan. I also have 2 passive air intakes that I can open and close depending on the season. Your plants will love a constant fresh supply of CO2. Exchanging the air in your room once every 15 minutes is not even close to enough air exchange, IMO.

Cmd: not boring at all! Hah, I'm just trying to gather opinions; I kinds threw together my last grow room so I'm taking my time to avoid issues down the road.

Thx for the input.. I think I'll setup the 6" to pull air through the filter and exhast, while the 4" is cooling the light (as best as a lil 4" canfan can, lol). I'll rearrange them when I do decide to splurge on a vortex.

Latest posts

Back