Zarnon takes aim at a fall and winter grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats up Zarnon. Man they have really grown since your last update. Whatever your doing they seem to love ya for it. :D Keep up the great work man can't wait for those frosty buds man. :aok:

Yep, I've learned once again not to make dramatic changes, no matter how good it sounds at the Hydro Store. :rolleyes:

UPDATE FOR DIFF PHOTO

Hey y'all;

I wanted to update the photo to show a true 'one week later' shot. I think we've hit a 'sweet spot' environmentally and the plants are responding.

We're officially one day before one month, 2 now have been topped twice. 9-12 inches in height (will flower around 1.5 feet).

11-15 little bushes.jpg

11-22 little bushes one month.jpg

definately grew since the last update... lookin good! keep it up.

Zarnon those ladies are growing super fast man. What are you feeding them (STEROIDS). :rolleyes: Everything is looking great man keep it up. :aok:

It's definitely not the level of nutes; up to this point I've only run 1/3 strength Canna.

After I ditched the Humic Acid, I went back to the Rhizotonic, which really helps promote early root growth. Also I've added a humidifier because the room gets so dry early on (I keep it at 50%).

This time I'm also going to make the 'peak dose' of veg nutes during the first week -10 days of stretch.

Early signs of overnuting

I was just replying to a thread discussing nutes. Because I just went through this, I busted out the camera to show a few piccs.

The theory that percolates here and everywhere is that you need to put the pedal to the metal and give the plant all it can handle until it is showing signs of being maxed out (the 'Foi Gras' method of cultivation).

My personal experience (not empirically tested) has been once I overdo it, plant growth slows down. This is proportional to the overnuting I did, and if severe can virtually stop her in her tracks(leaf burning and nute accumulation in the fan leaves).

I run very low nutes and the plant seems to respond very well. I was at 1/3 str. Canna (300ppm) and with the recent res changed it to 500ppm.

By nightfall two of the four were showing early signs of overdrying where the leaves get 'pruned out'. Pic one shows a nice fat leaf while two shows the wrinkling and Pic three shows the early curling that occurs.

By morning all had these signs and I try to listen when she tells me she's having too much of a good thing. :D

prune nicefatleaf.jpg

prune dry leaf.jpg

prune curl.jpg

Yeah, I see in the leaves the way the edges are. And even the way the part between the veins are bowing out. That's a good pic to show people what the early stages are. Then from there they will get worse if not corrected. And like you said the growth can be severely effected to the point that it stops growing.

laylow6988 said:
Yeah, I see in the leaves the way the edges are. And even the way the part between the veins are bowing out. That's a good pic to show people what the early stages are. Then from there they will get worse if not corrected. And like you said the growth can be severely effected to the point that it stops growing.

If in hydro... (assuming it is not gonna get worse) you need to correct it right away... or the next day those leaves will be in rougher shape... irreversable shape..

Zarnon - good pics and desc... hopefully some newer ppl will catch a glimpse.

i dont think the curling or the wrinkles are early signs of over nuting...cuz i had these signs on my leaves before i started i nuting my plants..

i think these signs are heat stresss...cuz i get em only when i get my plants closer to the light..and my mh gets hot...but i just ignore them...they only show up on the newest set of leaves..when a new set comes out they dissappear off and the new leaves get em...weird...

rami said:
i dont think the curling or the wrinkles are early signs of over nuting...cuz i had these signs on my leaves before i started i nuting my plants..

i think these signs are heat stresss...cuz i get em only when i get my plants closer to the light..and my mh gets hot...but i just ignore them...they only show up on the newest set of leaves..when a new set comes out they dissappear off and the new leaves get em...weird...

I think they are... because it is what happens the day b4 the leaves burning off and my rooms ambient temp at canopy is 78* ;) There are many different things that sometimes cause the same symptoms tho...

hi zarnon dude long time no visit this forum.me that is

rofl

great healthy looking plants ya have there good luck with the grow

pkj

Hey Parking Joe long time no see. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Hey Rami what's up? Mmm... I'd say one is not exclusive of the other. As Kade intimated, many things can cause this appearance, but in my experience the most common is overnuting.

Everytime I have overnuted, the leaves get dry, pebbly and coarse looking. If I do not act, then in a few days I get yellowing/browning.

For heat I look at general heat (room temp) and focal heat (light). It's not just the temp of the room but also how the plant looks. If they're short and bushy with tons of leaves doubful it's heat stress. If you get burns from a light it hits the top leaves with upward curling, yellowing and browning at the margins.

There was once a guy on the old Overgrow that was growing in a room in africa (can't remember which country) but his temps ran in the 90's with a very high humidity. His pics were a great example of heat stress. Plants get tall and spindly; as if she were shrugging off her clothes in an effort to stay cool.

Running that light at night produces very stable temps; The light I have is vented, glassed and silver taped with a 306 cfu inline Elicent behind it.

This is part of the backup temp/humidity control. I have an aircon I run if I'm doing summer and I have a Fedder's dehumidifier when the plant mass starts filling the room, but this is nice to run in the winter; it works with the Co2 control as well. There is another Elicent exhaust; the air that's drawn in comes from the floor and vents through the roof.

lightbrite.jpg

aircontrol.jpg

so wat do u do to treat nute burns??..mine just got nute burned on ther first dose two days ago!..wat do u think i should do? flush them?

Rami; If you are getting nute burn then I def recommend flushing and backing off. Try not to make too severe a change. Keep track of your PPM so you get to know the sweet spot for your water, nutes and plants.

So yesterday I notice yellowing and nute deposits on the very immature/stunted one I've kept around. Yesss! Very easy to confuse with mg deficiency.

She was just too immature to handle that increase while the others didn't get even a yella leaf on 'em. That feels good. :)

11-26-small.jpg

......... and here are the rest at one week after the last group photo.

'Ol Yaller' did not make it. No room at the Inn anyways, hee hee...

I haven't done any training, just topping to keep the canopy even. I'm at 16 inches all around , so I should be ready for 12/12 in a day or so.

Rami, these are going at 40% nute str right now. That seems to be acceptable at this stage.

11-28 all.jpg

Whats up Zarnon. Sorry to here that you had to take OL YALLER out back of the wood shed but sometimes these things happen. Look on the bright side man you have some very healthy young ladies getting ready for flower and i can't wait to see them buds. Keep up the great work man. ;)

Thanks TBG, that means a lot given your experience and results.

Those fans are showing deep N deposits which I hope will bode well for the stretch to come.

I gotta get out my cloning chamber and do some clones b/c these suckas are one night from the start of flowering.

Clones!!

These are more backups when I do sexing but I may have a hard time letting go of them LOL... I'm thinking of building a veg room so I can let these little ones grow while I finish my flower.

I run a different method than most. It's this 'cut flower' method (aka water column method) I was taught. I run a very high humidity for the first five-six days. The main thing is not to let them wilt as that stresses them tremendously (that and letting them rehydrate, then wilt, then rehydrate again).

BTW, the temp is in the 80's but drops pretty fast once that top is off.

When you cut the plant off from it's established nutrient supply it's very important to support these cuttings. Think of it like Plant ICU. They are already having enuf difficulties producing new roots.

I do use a hormone prep... clone x or some gel stuff (can't go in the room now) and have no idea if it helps or not.

12-2 clones.jpg

Latest posts

Back