A detailed light cycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrypnoticKronic

Reaction score
Hey guys got another noob question....

Once my germed seeds have been planted should I leave lights on for 18/6 or 24/7

Also a full light layout would be nice as well...

24/7 until you decide to flower then 12/12

Marijuana will grow all the time the lights are on--they do not need a dark period for vegging. I always run my veg lights 24/7. While it may seem that plants under 18/6 grow at about the same rate, IMO, it is an illusion, since they usually have more stretch with larger internodal spacing which translates to fewer bud sites.

I do not understand what you want here: "Also a full light layout would be nice as well..." What do you mean by a full light layout?

Like a step by step process on a simple light schedule...

Didn't mean to say light layout =( My bad...

its as simple as 24 hr constant light during veg
and 12-12 during flower, there is no other light schedule needed.

as mentioned above.

What do you use for lights? I keep mine under 4' shop lights (couple inches from the bulbs) 24/7 for as long as I feel like.

i heard that plants are only able to utilize 18 hours or light as per what they would get in reality outdoors...
but i only heard this, from someone that heard it elsewhere...
anyhow, my babies are under 18/6 mainly because it's hard to sleep with a jesus light beeming out of my closet..
would like to do 24/0 but it'd also get too hot in the room and I can't sleep when it's too hot either..
so i guess i'd say it's all circumstantial.. 18/6 or 24/0 will veg and 12/12 will flower

I run 24 in the winter for the heat. Then 18/6 in the warmer months have the dark period during the warmest part of the day. I see no difference in the two cycles.

In some of the older editions of Jorge Cervantes grow books he stated that an 18/6 light cycle was best for mj. His reasoning for this was that the plants needed a dark cycle to rest, and produce sugars etc. I followed this advice for yrs, with no bad results.

I recently bought his latest edition of the same book, because it has alot more information in it than the older edition. While reading this I noticed that he had changed his oppinion on the 18/6 light schedule, noteing that there was no proof to his old theory and that he now recomends 24 hrs of light for vegging plants.

So for anyone that has the older editions, and are relying on Jorge for advice, the confusion would be from an older/outdated source.

I now veg under 24 hrs.

Jorge Cervantes opinion has changed:holysheep:
Who would have thought, but there again......

Thanks lf:aok:

Think about it from a scientific aspect. Plants, specifically angioserms, evolved in environments that almost all have some dark period. The plant has been evolving with this for 100's of millions of years with this in mind. Plants are smart and will use all available conditions to help optimize their growth. Don't mess with mother nature. I wouldn't even be surprised if lack of a dark period affects male/female ratio's. But that's just opinion...

Some kinds of plants need a dark period and some don't. Marijuana falls into the latter category. There is a name for plants that can utilize light 24 hours a day, but I cannot remember what they call them.

Latest posts

Back