A Greenhorn's 1st Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pcduck said:
Looking nice.

I would be wary of feeding them and with those amounts this early in their lives.

:yeahthat:

I have gone a good 3 weeks before feeding my seedlings. Most times around 2 weeks. If you feed them too early you could wind up opening up a can of worms problem wise. jmo

Thanks, folks - your opinions are what I'm after. I don't know enough to even have an opinion!! I'll back off to distilled water for the next couple of weeks. I know when I transplant that FFOF has enough nutes for 3-4 weeks, but thought I'd try and get more root growth before that.

:icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile: A can of worms is exactly what I don't need! :icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

Yeah,,just watch for the turn and burn. To much and yur in trouble. Me I always liked a little Turn and Burn. I do agree about seedlings though. Ya want them nice and strong before feeding. Kinda like a baby,,,real bland and no substance are they will throw up on ya.:D Thier system dont handle it to good.

Thanks, weedhopper and stepheneking. Lots of good support and info here at MP. :icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

I am soaking it all up :) Nice to know there is a group of people with the same interests

stepheneking said:
I am soaking it all up :) Nice to know there is a group of people with the same interests

True that...there are lots of us.:D

OK - checking in. Seedlings will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

Seems to be good new growth happening, and everyone seems healthy so far. There is one runt, but it seems green and healthy.

I'm thinking about re-potting soon from the Solo cups, and am wondering if I should go to an intermediate sized pot, or just go directly into their final homes - 3.4 gallon air pots. If I'm understanding the debate, it's that going to small pots first promotes tighter root structure but can add stress to the plants due to the rigors of re-potting. Thoughts, anyone?

Also, when should I be able to crank the ballast up from 450W to 600W without damaging the seedlings? Are they sturdy enough now, or should I leave well enough alone and just let them be? They do seem fine.

:icon_smile::icon_smile: Thanks all!! :icon_smile::icon_smile:

IMG_4198.2.jpg

IMG_4204.2.jpg

IMG_4206.2.jpg

IMG_4207.2.jpg

IMG_4203.2.jpg

Your babies look good. I repot mine from the solo cups to one gallon grow bags, cheap black plastic ones. Then i make them stay in there if i can, until they show sex. Then the girls go in whatever your final pots will be. That is how I do it.

I would leave the light alone for a little while longer, I think they look nice.

Fun stuff huh?

Definitely fun stuff! Looking into some intermediate pots now.

Thanks, Rosebud!

Hey all - checking in at about 2.5 weeks, and I'm getting spots on some of my plants. I had fed them a diluted solution of TechnaFlora Sugar Daddy and Root 66 a while back, and was cautioned that it was probably too early. Is this the result of that mistake, do you think?

I don't know if the deficiency charts are applicable for seedlings or not, but if they are, it looks like K deficiency? I've flushed them out real well this afternoon, and the top leaves seem OK, except for a couple of plants, which are getting spots on the top leaves, too.

I'm waiting for some bigger - 1 gal. - pots to arrive - is this in any way related to them being in solo cups still, maybe?

They don't seem to be dying, and are pretty alert looking. My plan was to: A.) wait a couple of days after flushing and see if they hold steady, improve, or get worse - but I wanted to shoot a couple of pics out, in case I've really screwed up.
B.) have an attitude adjustment. :icon_smile:

Any help would, as always, be mucho appreciated! Hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday - and thanks again for the opportunity to learn from those of you who have walked the walk!

IMG_4211.2.jpg

IMG_4212.2.jpg

IMG_4210.2.jpg

IMG_4213.2.jpg

Hard to tell with the lighting on those pics. They don't look bad at all. Was what you gave them ph'd?

Maybe these will be better - thanks! :icon_smile::icon_smile:

Helps if you can see what I'm talking about, I guess!

IMG_4215.3.jpg

IMG_4220.3.jpg

IMG_4217.3.jpg

IMG_4225.3.jpg

IMG_4226.3.jpg

If those were my plants I would get them out of that seed starter stuff and plant them in the ffof. Do NOT feed any more till further notice. I think your spots are from when you fed when they were too young. FFOF has enough nutes for 4-5 weeks. I think they will be ok.

Since this is your first grow, mix up the ffof real well with water and let the pots drain then plant them. Then when you think they are ready for water, stick your finger in the pot to the second knuckle and see if it is dry. Then soak the plant till there is run off. If you have saucers under the pots they may drink up the excess water, if they haven't drank within 30 min, pour it off.
Green mojo!

Thanks, Rosebud, for the quick advice. I appreciate it! :icon_smile:

I went ahead and re-potted them into their final air pots, because the 1 gallon bags I ordered didn't ship in time to use this go around. That was yesterday in the early afternoon. This morning everybody looks alert and pretty happy, considering. I also think they'll be alright now that they're in the FFOF.

I'm keeping an eye on the light position now, and the closet is staying at 72* give or take.

IMG_4216.2.jpg

IMG_4215.2.jpg

IMG_4218.2.jpg

Looking good key!Bout the only thing I would do is cluster them more towards center of light and raise the short planter up level with the others.

If i can boss you around one more time, I would say to water the whole pot, not just the little plant. You will probably not need to water very often since the pots are so big and the baby's are so little. You have a fan on them?

Thanks, oldsman - can try to do those things. The only way I see to get them tighter together would be to put them all into a large rubber tray I have for the back of my station wagon and take them off of the individual plates I have each pot on. Any problems doing that, do you think?

Rosebud, you boss me around as much as you need to. I'm married, and therefore have become "coachable." :D I'll continue to be happy to learn it the right way the first time around. I do have a fan on them. It felt good to get into some "real" dirt and out of that seed starter stuff. Probably should have used the FFOF from the start. This is how we learn..... :rolleyes:

:icon_smile::icon_smile: key :icon_smile::icon_smile:

I have been married for 40 years but I will still try not to boss you around. I use seed starter for mine too, but not MG. My favorite is Whitney Farms organic. Ffof is too hot for tiny babies, but so was your seed starter..so this should work out. Green mojo Key.

What type of seed starter mix did you use key? I have used MG Seed Starter Mix for a couple years now and never had a problem. Green Mojo for your lil ones.

Latest posts

Back