A Greenhorn's 1st Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hamster Lewis -

It was Ferry Morse seed starter mix. I think my wife has been using it, and I just grabbed it and gave it a shot. Don't know if it'd been OK if I hadn't tried to jump start root growth by feeding them Sugar Daddy and Root 66 too early. Trying to learn to get out of my own way here. :rolleyes:

:icon_smile::icon_smile: key :icon_smile::icon_smile:

I just tried the same FM stuff and totally hated it.I tend to follow Hammy with the Mg seed starter mix.As for having them on plates,is that to catch run-off?

Good to know on the FM mix - thanks.

Yeah, I have white plastic down on my closet floor covering the carpet, but I wanted to be able to catch runoff, so I used the plates. This big rubber liner I have has like a 2" lip around it, so it would catch runoff. It's dark gray, so I don't know if that's a problem, or if the amount of light reflected back up is negligible.

Seeing how my tents liner is the same white reflective material as the insides of the tent I think you would be okay with that one key. This whole growing thing never stops being a learning experience so keep that in mind and try to always look at both the positive and negative things as lessons. I think most of us have at one time or another been guilty of feeding the little ones too soon. I know I have.

Im pullin up a chair for this.....I believe you will need a bigger closet with 9 plants....most new growers will want to OVER WATER, let them completely dry out before watering,I would not start giving nutes untill you transplant in bigger containers,I will go from starter cups right to a 5gal so you dont stress them everytime you transplant,I saw you were going to put them in 1 gal containers,go ahead and put them in 5gals.....green mojo your way....peace:cool:

thanks HL, and mmf2 - thanks for coming by - appreciate the support.

key

Hey all,

Checking in on the ladies' one month birthday. Since I got them in the FFOF and in the air pots, these girls have been going to town. They stand between 8 and 12" high now, and are very green and perky. Thanks to those who held my hand through seedling stage! :rolleyes:

Pic 1 is the Seedism Hex
Pic 2 is the Seedism Applejack
Pic 3 is one of the Delicious Seeds Fruity Chronic Juice
Pic 4 is one of the Female Seeds White Widow x Big Bud

I'm watering about every third day now, and rotating them when they get a little bendy. The light is on 600W now, and is about 15" above the soil. Temps are holding rock steady at 73* and am on 24/0.

It's starting to smell just a little sweet when I open the door to the closet now, and when I rub a leaf between thumb and forefinger - it smells pretty nice! As a total rube and garden variety greenhorn, I'm a happy boy.

Will continue checking in. Thanks again to all.

GREEN MOJO TO ALL!!

:icon_smile::icon_smile: KEY :icon_smile::icon_smile:

hex.jpg

applejack.jpg

FJC.jpg

wwbd.jpg

They look real happy, Key. Your doing a fine job with them -- keep it up. I have 2 of those seeds (FCJ and WWxBB) that I received as freebies from Attitude Seeds. I'll be interested to see how your's turn out. Grow green, friend.

Peace

The Ladies look great man, cant wait to see that fruity chronic juice, i have one of those beans to crack.

Thanks for the kinds words, all.

I'll definitely keep the pics coming every so often, Hemper Fi and Iron Emmett, so you can keep an eye on the FCJ and WWxBB. I hope to try them both outside this May, as well.

GREEN MOJO TO ALL!!

Hey all,

Checking in again at 5 weeks veg. I think I'm starting to run into the problem I've been waiting for - space. At the start of this evolution, I popped too many seeds thinking I might kill a couple or a couple might not germinate. I ended up with 9 seedlings in a 3.5 x 4.5 ft. closet. So I am running into limitations with my space's footprint, I think.

The girls have taken off in the last week - they are now 13" to 19" tall now, with only the Applejack being a runt at 9". The leaves are getting into each other and into the walls now. I have a little space to spread them out - see pics. The left hand side of the closet has a deep v shaped recess that I've been blocking off with the screen I was going to SCROG with covered with a mylar space blanket. That can be removed, for sure. The distance from the right wall to the orange extension cord in pic 3 is 4.5', then the v goes in another 4.5' on a 45* angle, roughly.

Pic 1 - shot from above straight down
Pic 2 - right side margin to wall
Pic 3 - left side margin with v unblocked
pic 4 - all 9 ladies as they sit now

I guess I have 4 questions at this point, and I'd really appreciate your opinions on them:

1 - should I go ahead to flower at this point, as room is so scarce?
2 - am I going to have to get rid of any plants to finish this off?
3 - is there anything I can do to them now to maximize the space?
4 - should I raise the light up to 20" or so to try and encourage some stretch?

As always, thanks for taking the time.

GREEN MOJO TO ALL!

above.1.16.13.jpg

right.side.1.16.13.jpg

left.side.1.16.13.jpg

under.light.1.16.13.jpg

Hey all,

Time for a quick check in, I guess. Since the last time I posted, I went with my gut on a few questions I had, and hope it'll turn out for the best.

The girls are 1 week into flower now. I trimmed them up a little, especially near their bottoms, to let some light move around what's becoming a very crowded closet, changed to the HPS bulb and let fly. I tried FIMming one of the girls, the Applejack, and there's a pic below, it's #1. #2 is the Hex #3 is one of the WWxBB #4 is the crowded closet and #5 is one of the Fruity Chronic Juice

The Fruity Chronic Juice and White Widow x Big Buds are doing great.

Most of the plants are 20" - 24' tall now, and they all look really healthy.

More later - thanks for watching! I'll take them out and get some better pics as they get deeper into flowering.

PEACE AND GREEN MOJO!

IMG_4293.2.jpg

hex.jpg

wwbb.jpg

crowd.2.jpg

fjc.jpg

They look real nice -- happy and healthy -- good job!

peace

thanks, hf - safari sagoodi

Weekly update for Groundhog Day.

Plants are 2 weeks into flowering now, and the bud sites are starting to multiply! Gave 1st nutes 5 days ago, and no adverse reactions at all. Using Technaflora Flowering mix (1/3 strength for 1st feeding) BC Boost, BC Bloom, Awesome Blossoms, Thrive Alive Red, MagiCal, and Sugar Daddy. They recommend nutes every 3rd watering for soil, so next time (probably 2/6/13) I plan to go to 2/3 strength, and then up to full. Still watering every third day.

pic 1 applejack
pic 2 hex
pic 3 white widow x big bud
pic 4 fruity chronic juice
pic 5 all 9 girls

Thanks for looking - Thanks for helping!

Peace and Green Mojo to all

key :icon_smile:

ajack.jpg

hex.jpg

ww x bb.jpg

fruitychronicjuice.jpg

all9.jpg

Latest posts

Back