Chefy! & good cooks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I remember Pea Soup Andersens Restaurants from the old days in CA. I never even tried to top that so no help with the Pea Soup. But with that other pound of pintos.....
Brown a pound of hamburger or sausage or whatevers around.... drain but not to much.... throw it in the bottom of the crock pot. Put in your rinsed dried beans and a can of hot rotel canned tomatos.... cover all with water to about 3" from the top of the pot.... cook on low all day. When you get home open the lid and take a fork and smash some of the beans up and stir it up and put the lid back on. Use some quick yellow corn bread mix - the just add eggs or milk or water kind - whatevers easiest.... throw in about 1/4c sliced canned jalapenos to taste and 1/2c grated cheese. Bake that while the beans thicken. Serve in bowls on a cold evening with that cornbread dripping in real butter. BAMMMM Damn Good.

Hehe... Smoke a few bowls of your best stuff with your best pals. Pour yourselves a beer in a clear glass. Take a few of them raw beans and drop them in the beer. Now, while the beans sink to the bottom of the glass, then magically float back up to the top only to sink back down to the bottom over and over and over again, kick back and reminisce about old times..;)

lol good ideas guys thank you..OHC that sounds really tasty thanks!

Made Potato soup with Buffalo Burger and Bacon; Green chillis' red peppers' Green onions, Fresh garlic, sea and celery salt! OMG! I must say that was spectacular! Had Buffalo Shoulder steak off the Grill with it and Five Friends with their 3 kids and My son his fiance and My Redneck Grandbaby boy ALL came by and got to grubbin,... How do they all know when I cook?! :ccc: and someone else,.... Did the dishes!

.... throw in about 1/4c sliced canned jalapenos to taste and 1/2c grated cheese. Bake that while the beans thicken. Serve in bowls on a cold evening with that cornbread dripping in real butter. BAMMMM Damn Good.

OK, now I got a whole new dilemma to figure out. I bought a ham a couple days ago, ate the meat of that, and now have the bone simmering in a kettle of split peas, and my grandma's recipe for seasonings. Usually I just make plain cornbread to go with that, cuz I like a 2nd piece of cornbread for dessert, topped with butter and Sorghum. Guess I'll have to make two pans of cornbread, one plain for dessert and the other following your recipe.

nvthis said:
Hehe... Smoke a few bowls of your best stuff with your best pals. Pour yourselves a beer in a clear glass. Take a few of them raw beans and drop them in the beer. Now, while the beans sink to the bottom of the glass, then magically float back up to the top only to sink back down to the bottom over and over and over again, kick back and reminisce about old times..;)
Or go down to the market and trade the cow in for five magic pinto beans - toss em out the window - smoke a few and drink a few till them beans grow - climb that bean pole - etc etc etc
Fee-fi-fo-fum,
I smell the blood of an Englishman,
Be he alive, or be he dead
I'll have his bones to grind my bread
But I digress....

I do a pretty good minestrone soup. If you want the recipe I will give it to you. I love the ham bone for the base. Yummy

Spirit...I love the Buffalo meat when I can get it! I have a place that gets it occasionaly, even the burger tastes like steak, but apsolutely love a good roast of it! Buffalo aren't as prevelent here around the great lakes as they probably are for you...we have to pay a pretty penny for it, but it is well worth it!

I like ostridge meat so tender..like beef but more tender and tasty better than a good filet IMO...

Buffalo Meat is deee licious!:p and Much better for your body than cow meat! I Had to try it as the red meat (cow) is begining to bother the digestive system! I first tried a Bonless Ribeye Steak,.. ( I had had the buffaloe burger oh 4 -5 years by then) That ribeye my Prince Charming grilled up was the MOST succulent juicy easy on the pallet and no pressure on the guts piece of Meat I've Ever tasted in my life and I spent over 30 years in the restaurant business and being my families private conesuer (even if I cant spell it,..lol) :bong1: Wait need widow,... Ahhhh :giggle: eeerrrreee,.:bong1: .Then I had to make the roast! I first bought 22- 5 oz steaks,.. and was disappointed they cut them so thin! so now I order 10 to 12 oz stks and cut them in half for my Prince and I! They are ALWAYS fresh here! (Spoiled) Local choice of grass or grain fed,.. tried the grain fed (raised pastured and finnished off on grains and taters) then Just the grazed (grass fed) That's the best,.. Last month I paid 14.99 a POUND for the ribeye disappointments (to thin) This month 17.99 a pound!:eek: bought the whole roast will cut it myself this time! :hubba: I'm going to figure out my best buy yet! lol! I did get the Shoulder roast (No Butts about it lol) for only three bucks! ok four 3.99 a pound! Tossed that in the oven with a little "imagine" beef broth a LOAD of red and green peppers garlic and celery and turned it on 175 and finished my aftrnoon,.. woke up the next am and checked on it added a little imagine again,.. closd her up about 4 in the after noon I cranked the oven up to 325 and at 5 I uncovered it,.. let her sit in the oven now shut off,.. for 15 mins,... and Serve! ,......... Uhhhhhhh Wish I could ship you a piece!:guitar: Uhhhh I'm hungry! That lil widow sneek up on a gal! :holysheep:

LOL...you got my mouth watering! I wish you could ship me a peice to! Unfortunately ours is always frozen by the time I get it, and I don't know where it comes from honestly...But it is still tastey! I was surprised at the lack of fat and grease, that is what sold me on it. It's sad that it took 150 yrs of torturing the native americans, before people start trying to finally listen to their ideas...of course the country and the whole earth for that matter has to be in comlete shambles before anyone decides that maybe we should look at the way these people survived so healthy for centuries...

2Dog I have not had ostrich meat...I would definately try it though if I ever found it avaliable! I'd like to make a huge omlet from one of those eggs...lol!

twice a year my grocery would get buffalo meat in. very lean, goood. pricey but worth it.
AZ has many ostrich ranches, the biggest...rooster cogburn ostrich ranch. after the closing line in the movie.....ostrich fest. every year, all things ostrich, even mounted rider races. and of course ostrich meat. huge BBQ and smoked legs.

Yes I would try th Ostrich too! I am allergic to chicken,.. but not turkey,..:confused: so maybe I could try the Ostrich,.. someone else would have to cook it for me the first time! Any vollenteers?! :rolleyes:
Fast Cash u from Arizona? Or just like it there? lol Sounds like fun! We have Donkey Derby Days here,.. lol! Like the town NEEDS to parade the Jacka*s' lol! Biker Days for the Vets is in August,.. We have Grills burnin all over town :cool: people campin on the outskirts and thousands of bikes parked all over town! Food OMG :banana: everything you can imagine! and street dances! If you walked up and down the streets hungry (money or not) YOU WILL LEAVE TOWN FULL! Samples of homemade everything you could dream of and a chilli cookofff! Ohhh you got me thinking of summer days some how Fast Cash! :guitar:
LF I wish I could ship you out the buffalo,.. We got a local gal (local farm) runnin door to door,.. wanted to sell me some with home delivery! So I'll let her talk next time,.:giggle: . I was a little pre occupied :watchplant: when she came by,.. but, I did ask her to come back! Maybe she can give me catalog and I can at least get you a contact! :hubba: Touche,....On the Native Americans! I figured I should try the buffalo it IS how they lived! My Great Great Grandma was 15 when she met Grandpa on the trail of tears! 100 percent Cherokee,.. bunch of breedin rough ridin Irish and Scott on the other side,..:yeahthat: . It was time for me to start to look at my roots to find help with my health! :joint: eerreee Clearly,.......Crystal

I know a lot of people don't like cabbage but we always save the bone to boil down with cabbage. Only way I can eat the stuff. You don't need meat on the bone but I usually leave some for the cabbage but the bone gives the cabbage that flavor.

I love cabbage!!! My girlfreind hates it when I eat it, but I sure do like it! Boiled up with fresh keilbasa, and potatoes, carrots, corn on the cob...we call it hobo dinner around these parts...I love it!

Crystal....I'm mostly Scotch/Irish, with a little bit of German...lotsa beer drinkers in my family. But I believe the Europeans should have listened a little better to the Natives, our world would be a much cleaner, and healthier place to live.

sometimes I put cabbage in with my corn beef onions carrots and potato I like it. I also love it in tacos so crisp! this summer I will be making coleslaw hmmmm...sooo much better homemade than store bought..why is it that store bought is always so sweet?? makes me cringe

Bumper Sticker on oiur Truck Has Four Native Americans,...n Says "Been Fighting Terroism since the 1800'S!

Ok maybe I was mistaken. I have always heard cabbage wasn't popular. I will eat anything once and haven't came across to much that I wouldn't eat again. Like radish and brussel sprouts.

Yeah 2Dog I'm with you there. It is way to sweet like they put sugar in it. The wife just puts mayo and poppy seeds in with the bagged slaw. Maybe some raisins to sweeten it up a little.

I like Cajun Cabbage...
It's a good pot luck dish.
Everyone has their own twist on it. It's one of those ad lib kitchen sink things around these parts. But everyone includes the basics... ground meat/beef/sausage/even turkey - rotel & canned tomatos, cheese, cajun spices, misc spices to taste, dash of tobasco, onions and peppers and some add rice.

Latest posts

Back