Chefy! & good cooks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I bought two 1 pound bags of pinto beans..should I only use one? is it like rice do they swell? or should I use two and freeze some? I have a big crockpot but dont want over flow or anything...thank you!!!

the chef said:
Yeah i gotta switch to low carb cooking so she can drop some pounds. Hehehe.

nothing wrong with a full figure~ IMO men love it...:D

2Dog said:
ok I bought two 1 pound bags of pinto beans..should I only use one? is it like rice do they swell? or should I use two and freeze some? I have a big crockpot but dont want over flow or anything...thank you!!!

Yeah, any kind of dried legumes will swell to about double or more of their dry-size. For the wife and I, I used one 1lb package of beans and get a couple days worth of edibles out of it. The stuff seems to freeze OK, and still be good when ya warm it up later. If it sits in the fridge for a day or two, the flavors seems to mellow, too. Try one bag of the dry beans and see what ya end up with.

Edit: And DON'T forget the cornbread on the side!!!

thank you thank you~

OMG! Chef that sounds fab! I LOVE garlic and onions! with ANYTHING! and CANNED BEANS Sorry I'm yelling but uhhh hhhh Beans are to dangerous to play with out of the can when they are sooo simple dry! Uhhh I Dont want to know you bought the canned beans!!! My sister and brother in law took 5 months to come out of their coma and begin to learn to walk and talk again,. after they ate their "canned beans" THEY got botchulism! Sooo choose your evil! Be lazy and buy the can,.. be healthy,.. make it yourself! PLEASE!

dry beans are in the crock pot.. but I still have canned kidney and garbanzo beans for my salads...then you say something scary like that oh...

Check your dates! Canned food does not always have an extended shelf life!

2dog, there are, historically, particular iconic combinations that have stood the test of time. Peanut butter and jelly. Chocolate and cinnamon. Pizza and beer. You seem to be forgetting the great ham connection. Chef touched on this, and you can never really go wrong. From a simple ham and grilled cheese (use mayo for this. Most folk would never try on a word, but it is just superior to using butter in every respect, IMO), to a potato au gratin to a cheese soup with ham and leeks. Can't go wrong combos are always a winner at the table.

Panko!:giggle: Chef, yer spoiling us!

2Dog, in future, you can put the dry beans in water, cover by at least as much water as double beans mass. In the morning, you then rinse beans, twice, this will take out most of the potential gas. The "bits" mentioned were bits of rock from the old days...Not much worry these days, I havent found a rock in beans in years and years.......and I still inspect beans out of habbit before they go into the water. Add a chopped onion, chopped garlic clove or two, Pepper and .....Ham bone. Boil easy/simmer for two/three hours. Season with the salt at the end, as the beans will absorb the salt pretty fast.

Oh and here is a sweet tip for you....when you think beans are done put a few without liqud on a spoon, blow on them lightly, the skin will curl up, and that indicates they are done. That way you are not tasting hard beans..waiting for them to be done.

Dont forget baby Limas, they are awesome beans too! Pat of butter on them and heaven. But then, heaven and butter go together huh?

spiritlovescolorado said:
Im really impressed with the tips out here! I never knew if you blew your bean the skin would curl,... reminds me of an ex husband,..lol! Thanks kids! Ya'll bring smiles to my day!
'Whatever you give a woman, she will make it greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal.. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of ****.'

Sure shows I didnt read the whole thread dont it?

See above....lol.

Alright, that does it. I have HAD it with this thread. I am off to the grocery to get a ham, bone-in, of course. :) :) :)

good times thanks everyone the beans are awesome and already tender...they taste so much better than canned and the ham had tons of meat so it is an awesome meal... I did clean them only found a coupld tiny little stems. I added spices and onions, garlic...it is very good. Only weird thing is they cooked so quickly even on low these new crock pots are too hot..I bet after a full work day they might be overcooked?

I could always just mash em and roll in a tortila.

Man that sounds good! I remember the ham and beans my grandma used to make with cornbread....mmmmmm!

I had take out Chinese...why is it that when you eat chinese food you get stuffed but an hour later you feel like you haven't even eaten?

Here they are!

012009 004.jpg

Oh ya, split pea soup baby. Can't beat that on a cool winters day. Take the chill out of the bones.

wow...thanks for the answer to my question PieR...that was not quite what I expected.

2Dog that looks yummy!

FUM said:
Oh ya, split pea soup baby. Can't beat that on a cool winters day. Take the chill out of the bones.

have you ever made it with fresh peas? I am looking for that recipe..hmmm if there is one I am sure there is. :)

Latest posts

Back