Flowering with T5s???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
Hey everyone! it has been a little while since I have been around here but am getting ready to start my next crop. Took awhile because I was getting a lot of new equipment and supplies cuz im going to do things a little different this time around. What is everyones opnion on flowering with High Output 8 bulb T5s? I know they are great for veg but have heard they are not the best for flowering. What if I was to use 2 HO 8 bulb T5 lights(16 bloom bulbs total)? Another question is if the T5s are not going to be enough, would using only one 8 bulb T5 light and a 400 watt HPS work or would that just be useless and a waste of time?

The T5s will work for flowering if enough lumens per sqft are applied. The only problem with using T5s for flower is that the plants begin to get bigger when in flower and that causes the lights to be farther away from the lower parts of the canopy. The T5 light doesn't have the penetrating power of the HID lights. The HIDs really drive a lot of light energy a good distance, that is why they are best for flowering.

However, if you are height limited, you can grow either a micro SOG where you maintain an even canopy or do a short scrog where you can again maintain an even canopy. This would allow you to keep the light right on the canopy so that the lumens are not diminished. Another option for using just the T5s would be to set the plants in a row so that the 2 light fixtures could be hung above the plants to form a triangular tent of light. The problem with this type of setup is that it is not very efficient as it wouldn't allow you to produce as much bud per sqft or per watt as using HID.

I would use the T5 to veg them until they get about 12-15" tall then put them under the 400HPS. But the flower space will have to be limited to 10sqft.(2.5x4, 3x3) as that is the limit for getting good bud growth. If you try to add the T5s to the space to suppliment the 400w, it will work but the efficiency will be low, and will cost you more in electricity to make less quality/quantity bud.

If you have the space to grow and you want to get the most for your money, then only use the T5 for veg and get another HPS to go with the one you have for flowering. Hope this helps :)

What if I was to use 2 HO 8 bulb T5 lights(16 bloom bulbs total)?

Maybe if placed in a TeePee formation.

Or like Hush mentioned, some form of scrog.

Another question is if the T5s are not going to be enough, would using only one 8 bulb T5 light and a 400 watt HPS work or would that just be useless and a waste of time?

The t-5 would block to much of the light from the 400 hps or be to far away to do much good.imo

The t-5 would block to much of the light from the 400 hps or be to far away to do much good.imo

I have seen where some put the T5's lining the sides for supplemental lighting...not sure how helpful it is. A bigger question would be how much power difference does the 400w use over the T5? If not much, then you're basically throwing your energy $$ away since the T5 is well outperformed by the HPS.

I'm thinking the prices of the two lights are close.

If you have a 400W HPS I would recommend using that for flowering. If you use the T5, you should change the bulbs out to a red spectrum. I think the benefits from trying to use HPS and T5s together is very limited. The T5s have to awfully close to be effective.

I have grown nice buds with T5s with the Red Spectrum tubes. BUTTT,,HPS will do a better job. Ya get more Lumens per watt with HPS and better penatration.
I used the T5s cause its all I had at the time. Happy growing no matter which ya choose.

Latest posts

Back