Home of the Old Fart's Club part 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bud --Just send it again !-- She get high and forget stuff !-- Rose whatever I get will he fine !--Pank Snow ? -- Well Black Snow is out for sure !-- I get a better idea what she do next run !-- Maybe I should grow me out a PH-X-BBSL male and put him on that Pank Thang ?-- That'd make some color ?-- I kinda like the pink though !-- Good thing about weed is I can have my cake and eat it too !-- I could do that cross and still have momma in her original form !-- I guess I kinda do already !-- I got Purple Haze in bloom as well as her daughter who don't make as much color as mom !-- It's in them I just gotta find it !

Hey Umbra, I’m very familiar with Grit Laskin, it turns out I was inspired by an article about Grit in the magazine “Fine Woodworking” years ago. I met him at several different luthier functions and shows. My specialty guitar turned out to be a style that was common up until around the 1920’s or so. I did ladder braced guitars similar to the Stella’s and assorted brands that were built at the time by mostly Italian immigrants. I did build x-braced guitars as well though. Grit is one of several Canadian luthiers that build in a similar style, another being the clan of Jean Lariivee.
Here is one of my creations.

View attachment A8D5D5B6-C3B5-40DB-B43C-8EFF486EFAB7.jpeg

Red we have way too much in common. I know Bob Benedetto. Met him years ago when he was in Bethlehem, PA. Of course, I know 1 of his apprentices, Dale Unger. Dale has his own shop in Nazareth, PA but he is heading up the archtop builds for Martin Guitars. I play a D'Angelico archtop, lol. Back in the 70's there was a big strike at Gibson, and quite a few luthiers went to Guild. My steel string is 1 of those guilds. Action is just right, and sound booms more like a Gibson. My 1st steel string was a 1938 Gibson. Traded it for the guild.

I built one arch top guitar and it was not anything special by any means but it was my intro to Bob Benadetto as I bought his book to guide me on that project. I started building guitars because I couldn’t afford the guitar I wanted. The only acoustic guitar I ever bought was a Yamaha back in the 70’s. All of my guitars are home made it seems. I was doing alright with building up until the economy dumped around 2008. A couple years later I sold my shop and equipment and went on a long trip around the country. I would’nt know what to do with a D’Angelico though as I’m nothing but a guitar basher...

Here is a video of Kevin Van Sant playing my guitar, doing Wes Montgomery's Leila

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqwTdKqrD3w[/ame]

Bout all I know bout these days is growing weed and making a little liqour !-- Don't believe me ? --Just ask my wife !- -- She'll tell ya just how little I know bout any and ever thang !-- I used to be handy at a milling machine- a lathe and read a blueprint but that was a long time ago !-- I see a piece of wood sometimes makes me wanna turn some big wooden bowls or something ornamental ? -- Maybe one day ?

If you read Bob's book, then you know his first arch top he made from his parents kitchen table.

That is sweet umbra, I don’t play that kinda music but it sure sound good.
Keef, just get a pretty piece of wood and shine it up, make it into something.

Here is one of my guitars as played by my friend Shaun Cromwell.
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8minLax_0DY[/ame]

That was sweet. My 1st guitar teacher played everything. He was definitely a jazz guitarist but he was the rhythm guitar player for Sammy Davis Jr in Vegas for 7 years. I used to play a reworked version of Fishin' Blues and Windy and Warm. A bit more Chet Atkins that Doc Watson or Taj Mahal.

Sounds like busy work RE !- I ain't real good at busy work !-- Plenty stuff that needs to be done ! -- I grew up with machinery and a junk yard full of raw material !-- Then the R&D stuff !-- I gotta have something in mind to build !-- Give me some raw material and tools these days and tell me just build something -- We just gonna have a problem when I say NO U build "something" !-- Now if it is something I want to build it would be different !-- I still tinker on occasion but mostly I just heat and reshape PVC ! --

RE --It ain't a guitar but it shoots a ho lot further than a dam guitar !-- Can't find the shoulder strap but this one the reasons when someone suggested taking my guns D.D. just laughed and laughed !
Dat's my hand cannon !-- Some might call it a potato gun and that's O.K. !-- Used to have a Laser pointer too !-- Potato gun ? -- I guess that would apply if U loaded it with a potato !-- I use -- something else !
That just a grill igniter button on that hand piece !-- Use it like an upside down pistol grip and fire it with the thumb !

View attachment 20180131_190008.jpg

Keef, you would good at the Punkin Chunkin festival in DE. The air cannons get pretty intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back