Lollipoping?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngbud

Reaction score
I've seen people mention lollipoping for better yields while growing sog...I think. What is it? Will it give me better yields for sog? How am I suppossed to do it? Any help would be awesome.

i would also like more info on this method.
I know alittle bit about it, but this is pritty much a new term to me.

Here is a little bit of info on it for ya.:D

lollipop.jpg

I believe it's trimming the bottom 30% or so so the main focus is on growing the top canopy directly under the lights or the main growth tips. This gets rid of the small popcorn buds underneath and lets the plant focus its energy on the top canopy, or the main "SOG". Hope this helps.

youngbud said:
I've seen people mention lollipoping for better yields while growing sog...I think. What is it? Will it give me better yields for sog? How am I suppossed to do it? Any help would be awesome.
:eek: :eek: i would jus tuck all the big fans out the way or tie them would not cutt any thing that did not look dead ...gd luck

ya some dude keeps talking to me about it and how thats all he does in my threads. dude where are you, i know you can answer are questions, too late for work to find your user name! thanks

Ekoostik_Hookah said:
i would also like more info on this method.
I know alittle bit about it, but this is pritty much a new term to me.

Yeah, I've only heard people say they were going to do it but not explain what it is.

B.Green said:
I believe it's trimming the bottom 30% or so so the main focus is on growing the top canopy directly under the lights or the main growth tips

Wouldn't removing the bottom 30% shock the plant?! I don't want to hurt anything.

Sorry I wasn't on last night I passed out a bit early.

hiya, i'm probly one of the guys that talks about doing the lollypoppin. if you want your plant to go full potential, you dont just want to trim off the bottoms, yes it does consentrate all the goody stuff to the top so your main buds get bigger. i dont know if it increases overall yield, i just know it makes ignorant sized cola's, at least for me it has. its just one of those things thats a personal preference. my opinion...the perfect plant has been cropped about 6 times, giving you around 18 to 20 main tops, no bottom stuff...once your colas are formed NICELY, i like to cut off the tips of my cola's, just barely into the stem...it'll fatten them up BIG time. my cola's are usually about 6-8 inches longs and around 3 inches thick...i experiment alot and have much better results from this method compared to lst...not saying in anyway that its better, its just worked for me.

my latest is i've veggied a hot lil lady then wrapped ALL the leaves into a ball and tied her up...no bottoms at all...i untied the ball of leaves after about 3 weeks of vegitation stage and put her into flowering. 2 days later she looks like a hedge, 14 main bud sites...that was 2 weeks ago and now she looks kewl as can be, exactly like a perfectly manicured hedge that should be in someone's front yard. my butthead buddy, which i'd love to get ahold of, walked off with my camera and i'm a little low on funds to get another one, but i'd love to show you my "art" work, but cant unless i draw you a pic. :-(

also remember, if you want QUICK harvests, there's always tricks to every trade...your planter has a HUGE bearing on your harvest...smaller planter=less yield-quicker harvest...bigger planter=takes more time but BIGGER yield. at the second, i'm on a "mountain dew" crop, along with many other projects....;-)

anything i can help with, just give a shout...and keep it greeeeeeeen

ok, i brought my smallest ladies out for pictures...all dressed to kill. the others i cant manuever by myself. the flag in the background, the stripes comin down are 2 inches wide, so you have a comparison...like i said, these are little. i'm not in anyway saying this is the best method, its the one i prefer...hope this helps...sorry for the poor quality of pics, this is off a cheapy logitech cam that probly has alot of dust on the lense.

Thanks octobong. I haven't started growing yet but I will be in full swing by the second week of january. I'll be using a dwc system I'm going to build, but I have height issues which is why I'm going to do it sog. Keep them small but keep a lot of them. I'm a little high so to make sure I got you right, you don't know if it makes yields any bigger but it will make fewer, but bigger colas?

Edit:
Didn't see your second post before I posted this the first time octobong.
I have 250+ beans from some good genetics to sprout so I'll do my first grow half and half and see what differences it makes in quality, yields, and all that jazz. I'll get a journal gowing as soon as I get all my ducks in a row.

yes sir...now some people will probly say i'm not getting my full potential, might be true but i dont care...i grow for me, i dont sell nothing. to control your height on plants, what i've found...is use smaller containers...once your have good looking bud, if you want to fatten them up, crop the tips just barely into the stem and let em go. the cola's on my little plants in the pics are around 7-11 inches...grown out of 1/3 bottoms of 2 liter bottles from soda pop...my bigger ones on the other hand aint no where near cutting and the cola's are around 14 inch and ALOT fatter, with approx. 10-20 cola's on top, and way too fradgile to move around. i've never seen a sog, but i would think trimmin them would be a booger being so close, but again, i've never seen one.

now dont get me wrong, this aint the only way to get big buds, its just what i do...there's some kick-arse growers on here and i've seen a few of their pics and they put me to shame...and they should be chiming in soon and give alot better advice than i can. i wish ya luck and sendin green mojo your way bro.

edited: best advice i can give is this...anyone can grow weed, i've seen stuff come from people that should have to wear a helmet to walk across the room, the trick to growing good weed tho is it has to be a part of ya. dont go big, you should enjoy it, find peace in it...what that plant becomes is solely up to you, which means a part of you goes into it. spend time with the ladies, they'll treat ya right in the end. if you have to hesitate cutting them down because she's something you'll miss attending to...then your there bro. shout it out if ya need anything.

i trimmed off the bottom of my seedling in 24/24 right now. shes pretty distressed since it toped her and then topped both tops, one got 3 tops, other has 2 so a total of 5 tops. I trimmed of the bottom branches which im cloning right now. She has really dangly leaves, is this from stress?????. Or could it be my overwater or underwater problem that ive been having and cant seem to perk her up. its been a week so far. Do i think it has a watering problem because the leaves are droopy, or do they get droopy from stresss?

overwatering. dont put them on a schedule, you want to check the soil everyday. only check down about a half inch, if the soil is dry, put a pan under your planter and give her a BIG drink, she'll drain for a little bit...once drained, put her back...check everyday till conditions are dry again. i'm not sure what soil your using, but having perlite in it helps alot. let them get up to standards then top them again...the results are outstanding when all ya got is main stems...and alot of them.

they arnt on a schedule, at first it was defiantly under watered, but i think i kept adding water untill the problem reversed and the symptoms looked the same. my bad. I have a moisture meter and its been at 10. I thought she was in drought still cuss of the symptoms but i now created a new problem & fixed the first one. I stoped watering yesterday, havent checked her today but will tonight. You think this is very possible.? foxfarm with perlite.

i've never used foxfarm, everything i've heard, most recommended. not watering sounds like your best bet, that perlite will hold moisture REALLY good...your on the right track.

Latest posts

Back