Quick Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravellessDukes

Reaction score
its my first grow and i plan on cloning my california orange. she is over 2 months old and 32 inches in hight and real bushy. i have a branch that comes off the bottom of the plant and would be perfect to clone because it has a top with new leaves coming out but at that top there are nice white hairs developing more and more, im not sure if its just showing its sex or starting to bud. the days have not reaches 12/12 yet so i dont think its budding. my question is even though it has those hairs is it okay to clone? please let me know thanks!!!!! ill try to get close up pics if needed but heres a pic tooken almost 2 weeks ago.

OJ 20 7-31-08 005.jpg

I think you are supposed to clone in the vegging stage... but im just a beginner, what do i know.

ive asked a similar question and never really got the right answer. My mother is under 18/6 and is hairy. From my NOOB experience i have 1 out of 3 clones survive. it could be my strain or me but im having a real hard time cloning. i clone in soil.
nice pics - she looks big enough that cutting a little clone off wouldnt hurt

TravellessDukes said:
its my first grow and i plan on cloning my california orange. she is over 2 months old and 32 inches in hight and real bushy. i have a branch that comes off the bottom of the plant and would be perfect to clone because it has a top with new leaves coming out but at that top there are nice white hairs developing more and more, im not sure if its just showing its sex or starting to bud. the days have not reaches 12/12 yet so i dont think its budding. my question is even though it has those hairs is it okay to clone? please let me know thanks!!!!! ill try to get close up pics if needed but heres a pic tooken almost 2 weeks ago.

When plants are grown outside, it does not need to be 12 hours light and 12 hours dark for them to start budding. After the summer solstice, the plant recognizes that the days are getting shorter and starts to bud. It is harder to clone a plant that is flowering, but it can be done. I would recommend that you take more than 1. Are you in a climate that you can finish a clone outside or are you planning on growing inside over the winter?

Go to the Resources section and read the cloning guides, so you have an idea what to do.

I personally have never cloned an outside plant. I have taken one in kept to mother, and have only really cloned in soil (vermiculite... Light warrior by foxfarm with most success). By the time I got a viable clone for outdoor grow FROM an outdoor plant it would be too late to harvest much off of it.

I agree with hemp goddess go to resources to dial in your cloning skills

The Hemp Goddess said:
When plants are grown outside, it does not need to be 12 hours light and 12 hours dark for them to start budding. After the summer solstice, the plant recognizes that the days are getting shorter and starts to bud. It is harder to clone a plant that is flowering, but it can be done. I would recommend that you take more than 1. Are you in a climate that you can finish a clone outside or are you planning on growing inside over the winter?

Go to the Resources section and read the cloning guides, so you have an idea what to do.

i planned on taking multiple clones inside and get those goin indoors. i think it may be starting to flower now that i think of it so i probly shouldnt cut anything and just leave it be, unless it was just a single leaf? im not too sure what im going to do yet but if its flowering process has began is the case, i better decide quick! thanks a bunch for your help :D

ahh, dont clone, alright? its beaut plant u got there.. its too late to clone it, next time clone it before u see these hairs grows. hmm.. take ur time use youtube and learn how to clone mj ok?

TravellessDukes said:
i planned on taking multiple clones inside and get those goin indoors. i think it may be starting to flower now that i think of it so i probly shouldnt cut anything and just leave it be, unless it was just a single leaf? im not too sure what im going to do yet but if its flowering process has began is the case, i better decide quick! thanks a bunch for your help :D
..take cuttings from the lower branches..ASAP, and inoculate them for bugs 'before' you introduce them to your room.
IME flowering plants are a li'l more difficult to root.

TravellessDukes said:

Go to the Resources section and read the cloning guides. It is not too late to clone, but if you are going to do it, do it now. It sounds as if your plant is just starting to flower. You cannot clone a single leaf, it has to be a growing tip.

alright all thanks for your help. i think i missed the boat to clone, because since it is harder to clone when flowering has started, theres no point to cut anything with a chance nothing will come from it. who knows though im still a begginer in this wonderful world of growing mary j! hahah

TravellessDukes said:
alright all thanks for your help. i think i missed the boat to clone, because since it is harder to clone when flowering has started, theres no point to cut anything with a chance nothing will come from it. who knows though im still a begginer in this wonderful world of growing mary j! hahah

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Judging by your 2 week old picture, I don't think that your plants are that far into flowering. Most strains have preflowers--white hairs--that develop while still in vegging mode. Any of the small buds on the branches at the bottom of the plant will stay small and not produce much, anyway. IMO, this would be a good time to learn to clone.

I cloned my flowering plant that sat outside a few weeks into flowering.

I never used rooting hormone and just "moist" soil. Took about a month for them to root, but she lived on to have a happy harvest and my clones are bushes ready for 12/12.

The only thing is you will not get extra shoot growth, and that limb will be forever lost for that flowering session.

It isn't too late to clone :hubba: i took these cutting

12082008154.jpg

12082008155.jpg

I put them in rooting gel and riot root medium, popped them into a heated propagator. I spray them with soda water with formulex, as they get Co2 from the soda water and goodness from the formulex which is ideal for both hydro & organic

12082008149.jpg

From a plant that is into its 3rd week 12/12, 2 weeks on grow and 1 week on bloom & boost 12/14 C.F, I use oxy pots at moment, just take cuttings from bottom as the're the ones most likely root

This is the grandmother of them all grown from seed, in its 5th week of flowering

12082008182-1.jpg

By taking the cuttings you aren't going to kill the plant or spoil the yield. You have to learn to go for it bruv,:D

Keep it green

M.P

Abso said:
You will definitely spoil the yield.

what from one or two cuttings!!! the bottom dont produce that much yield, im not sayin take cutting from whole bloody plant:hitchair:

Maverick Rebel said:
what from one or two cuttings!!! the bottom dont produce that much yield, im not sayin take cutting from whole bloody plant:hitchair:

Hey that's like an extra 5 grams dry!!! hehe, ;-).

Actually when I had nothing but massive floros, I just had them going up my wall and each branch was significant buddage.

Abso said:
Hey that's like an extra 5 grams dry!!! hehe, ;-).

Actually when I had nothing but massive floros, I just had them going up my wall and each branch was significant buddage.

yeah know what your saying :hubba: ive got big buddha blue cheese and she's budding like crazy, even on bottom alot smaller, but hey its still smoke lol

just trying to encourge him to take clones,

keep it green.. Mav ;)

There will be small growth near the bottom that will never yield anything significant. Not every branch is going to be a 5 gram branch. And besides, we are not talking about a whole branch, we are talking about several small growing tips.

Latest posts

Back