Training Plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easyrider

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I have a little bit of a situation on my hands. I have two 40 something day old plants in addition to 4 smaller two week old beauties. The two older plants were part of a group of four plants that had been flowering under my 250W HPS until the two oldest plants turned out to be a male and a hermie. The plants had only been in 12/12 for 10 days so at that point I decided to throw the plants back in to veg and than sprout some new seeds as I wanted to utilize all of my 2'x3' floorspace. Additionally, the two older plants which I have now were small at the time and I didn't want to wait the full 8 weeks for a measly half ounce. This being said, my oldest plant is 32" tall while the second oldest plant is only 14" tall. I have been raising all of the other plants off of the ground to get them close to the light but I can't imagine how the big plant will take off once I switch it to 12/12. I was wondering how to train this big plant without causing it to go hermie on me, as it is a female. Could I try to bend it down a bit? I am really at a loss for ideas as this is only my second grow. Thanks for any and all help and I will try and get pics up sometime today.

Easyrider

I dont even know if this should be done but before I knew about this site or anything really about growing my buddy used to tell me a different way to train my plants, and I listened to him.

He would take the 2 strongest branches near the top of the plant that are opposite to eachother and tie them with string then tie the strings to sticks and push the sticks in the ground as far as they could go without breaking the branches.

This would make it so the top cola was sticking out and the bottom of the plants were being pulled down, this would stunt growth efficiently but wouldn't affect the flowering process, the more the plant's branches grew the deeper you put the sticks.

Any opinions as to whether to top or LST, it seems to me that topping may in fact be easier than LSTing the large plant.

Yes, topping would be easier, I'm a fan of both topping and not topping, because when topping you have more smaller king buds but if you don't you have a larger king bud.

BUT, topping/fimming does stunt the plants growth usually for a couple days, if you LST or HST your plant will keep growing but the lower branches will grow more then usual.

I think there are plenty of guides on how to FIM or top just search on this sites search bar: Fimming plants, or topping plants, I'm sure they can tell you better then me or anyone else half baked.

Latest posts

Back